Unreal Engine 5.4 Preview

hi @OptimisticMonkey .

@OptimisticMonkey There is a problem with Windows 11 security
You MUST open the Windows File Explorer and
select the file
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Binaries\Win32"
Right click
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Binaries\Win32\EpicGamesLauncher.exe”
and select "Run As Administrator. Then click “Yes” the pop up to modify your system.
Windows 11 installation should run properly .
I have logged a bug report an its been accepted
UEFN 5.4 will not install correctly from Launcher on any Windows 11 (eleven) version needs to run Elevated "Run As Administrator

This is just a work-around until they fix it.
Windows 11 does not work well with graphics drivers and elevated security and most people install Windows 10 as a dual multi partition boot.

The original UEFN 5.4 post
[RESOLVED] Issue with New Installations of UEFN 5.4
and Windows 11

This may apply to Windows 10 Domain and Enterprise as well as locked down laptops

Just 23rd March 23 downloaded and options are available
Look at picture below Options is missing because Install is not/started/complete.

When its completed the “Options” box appears

For some reason it’s not popping up for me. Any reason why maybe?

So far in testing, You need 200-250 Gigs of Swap Space to make a Nanite Tessellated Terrain that is 8K by 8K. Also it takes 1 to 2 hours for it to Process. Not what I would call a great method for Production. Still need to test if it still works if the landscape is scaled. I was hoping this would give Listen Server Dev’s another option if the terrain could be scaled and the Tessellated. Also, Bad things happen if you try this with more then 1 Terrain in a scene. Computer Locks Up or Crashes. Or both…

It seems to be working on scaled landscapes now - just needs to be about 5 times faster to be realistic for games.

Metahuman for 5.4 hair bug
When animating the new metahuman using Livelink or prerecorded animations, the hair is all over the place. Any ideas why this might be? I am on a Mac (being on a Mac is causing me to question my life choices :frowning: )

Cheers,
NC

2 Likes

You may need to restart the Launcher to have it refresh the available versions. Also, make sure you’re on the Library page of the Unreal Engine section, and look for the “+” button in the upper left. For me, “add an engine version” initially defaulted to an old one that is available but not installed, but 5.4.0Preview was on the version dropdown list once the “slot” for the new install was added.

Add r.nanite.tessellation= 1 to ini, or temp in engine

Also, check functions in material graph that pass displacement, I found the blend standard with tessellation didn’t have the pins connected.

When will documentation/tutorials for the new features be available?

1 Like

VERY experimental on M1 Mac. Chronic freezes and slow downs, still locking up completely when clicking in blueprint node fields and when opening context menus.

I can confirm that Tessellation/Displacement is not working on Mac M2 Pro. It freezes and crashes the entire editor :frowning_face:

1 Like

Since a few hours, some of us are having a “System Error” with code “EU-FA-31003” when installing Unreal Engine 5.4.0 Preview from the “Epic Games Launcher”.

Post with all the information about the problem:

EDIT: The problem seems to be fixed on the Epic side. The installation runs without any problem now.

2 Likes

the same for me

1 Like

Same here. There are many people from Canada and Europe experiencing the same issue.

1 Like

I can’t understand if it depends on the hardware you use because on my desktop workstation the installation worked but not on my laptop…

Can confirm on M3 Max also. When tessellation/displacement is enabled, the entire system will freeze and eventually crash. The only way of recovering is force reboot. Couldn’t find a way to get it working unfortunately.

1 Like

I’m sure you know what you’re talking about but my laptop has a built-in wired network card and the problem persists even when connecting it to this.

Tried to submit a bug report using the form, but it seem to not work for me, a spinner shows up and spins endlessly. Same thing on my UDN account, impossible to post a message. So, I will note my issues here.

I tested an existing project using 5.4 preview 1, and I met some compilation errors, which seem to be related to missing files or symbols in the provided binaries (LNK1120).

I have a custom class inheriting from “UDataLayerAsset”, and this triggers a link error, with missing symbols. Usually, this happens when the custom module do not references the engine module whose holds the parent class, but I looked at the code and it seem to me that the holding module was unchanged between 5.3 and 5.4: it was and (it seems it’s still) the “Engine” module. So maybe some symbols were inadvertently stripped out the build?

3>Module.MyModule.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: symbole externe non résolu "public: virtual bool __cdecl UDataLayerAsset::CanEditDataLayerType(void)const " (?CanEditDataLayerType@UDataLayerAsset@@UEBA_NXZ)
3>Module.MyModule.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: symbole externe non résolu "public: virtual void __cdecl UDataLayerAsset::OnCreated(void)" (?OnCreated@UDataLayerAsset@@UEAAXXZ)
3>D:\Projects\MyProject_5.4\Plugins\MyModule\Binaries\Win64\UnrealEditor-MyModule.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 2 externes non résolus

I have further errors in the build, but I’m not sure if they are a consequence of the first error or not, but I think that at least the “Catch2” error is a problem internal to UEd:

2>D:\UnrealEngine\UE_5.4\Engine\Source\Developer\LowLevelTestsRunner\LowLevelTestsRunner.Build.cs(19,65,19,71): error CS0103: Le nom 'Catch2' n'existe pas dans le contexte actuel
2>Génération du projet "UE5Rules.csproj" terminée -- ÉCHEC.
4>------ Début de la génération : Projet : UE5ProgramRules, Configuration : Development Any CPU ------
4>CSC : error CS0006: Fichier de métadonnées 'D:\UnrealEngine\UE_5.4\Engine\Intermediate\Build\BuildRulesProjects\UE5Rules\bin\Development\ref\UE5Rules.dll' introuvable
4>Génération du projet "UE5ProgramRules.csproj" terminée -- ÉCHEC.
5>------ Début de la génération : Projet : MyProjectModuleRules, Configuration : Development Any CPU ------
5>CSC : error CS0006: Fichier de métadonnées 'D:\UnrealEngine\UE_5.4\Engine\Intermediate\Build\BuildRulesProjects\UE5ProgramRules\bin\Development\ref\UE5ProgramRules.dll' introuvable
5>CSC : error CS0006: Fichier de métadonnées 'D:\UnrealEngine\UE_5.4\Engine\Intermediate\Build\BuildRulesProjects\UE5Rules\bin\Development\ref\UE5Rules.dll' introuvable
5>Génération du projet "MyProjectModuleRules.csproj" terminée -- ÉCHEC.

Hey guys, just posted a Motion Design bug, but i just dont know where to post it properly.

Hey Matthew!

So glad to read your responses.

Thank you very, very, VERY much for keeping you updated and for taking care about this issue!! So many tries and time waiting for this =D

Best regards

1 Like

(bug reporting form doesn’t work, spins infinitely upon submission)

The editor freezes forever when following these steps:

1. Create a project from the 1st person template
  2. Select some actors in the map that opens and convert them to a Level Instance (I included the gun pickup in my selection). Set the instance’s behavior to “Standalone”
  3. Open the new level that the level instance just created
  4. Select the gun pickup and open the level Blueprint editor
  5. Add an event for the pickup (e.g. BeginOverlap) and connect it to a PrintString node
  6. Compile & save

Now if you try to open the original 1st person map again, the editor will freeze. This happens every time, even when you kill the editor and restart.

Expected: the sub-partition level scripting should work as expected since the instance is set to “Standalone”. Or at the very least it should print an error.