Unreal Engine 5.4 Preview

Hi @Ary824,
There is a bug in previous version of launcher where some internal information stored encrypted in a cache hidden inside AppData\Local\Epic\ then loads of numbered files.
The only was is to remove the Windows Application Uninstall
UninstallEpicLauncher
BOTH of these must be uninstalled to allow a clean new installation of Epic Games Launcher downloaded and installed.

This problem was the same in 5.3 and fixed by doing an uninstall / new install as above

Absolutely, no problem! :smiley:

Any issues you find, please continue to voice them as we may already have them logged internally and if we do, we can have them set to public viewing for those wishing to follow.

1 Like

Hey Matthew and Team!

Just a question: why do you release stunning free models and scenes for Twinmotion, but not for Unreal too (in an easy way, like a downloadable marketplace pack)?

Thanks!

Anyone else finds the new ā€˜Jumped to bookmarkā€™ pop up annoying? I think itā€™s not adding anything, quite the contrary.

1 Like

This feature does not appear to work correctly without a custom renderer. The description of it says the mesh will be used until the geometry collection is fractured, but this is not what happens.

The mesh persists, even when the collection is fractured, and is never replaced by the geometry collection data.

Even with the custom renderer it doesnā€™t seem to work. If you select the ISM Pool Renderer as the custom renderer then once the mesh is broken itā€™s replaced by whatever is assigned to the auto-instance mesh section. Which seemsā€¦ undesirable. But I guess maybe I just donā€™t know what this particular renderer is supposed to do.

I also saw that youā€™ve deemed Chaos Destruction now production readyā€¦ which is wild to me because thereā€™s virtually no documentation about it. The ā€œdocsā€ are just a shallow tutorial about fracturing a mesh and setting up fieldsā€¦ Do you guys really think thereā€™s nothing more worth elaborating on than that? What is the point of solvers? How do you use them? Whats the difference between all the cluster connection types? How do we enable the debug views that used to be in UE4? Are they just gone? How do we debug when a sim is not behaving as expected? Any insight into managing performance? What are the costs/benefits of the different collision shape types?

2 Likes

Nanite tessellation is awesome. But there needs to be a way to disable object scale on the magnitude.

Itā€™s not currently usable with world aligned materials since the magnitude will grow based on the objects scale.

Here are two spheres with the same material. The one on the right is larger in scale, causing the displacement to look wrong.

1 Like

@Amanda.Schade Are you going to release the 5.4 Docs? Also what is going on with the Unreal Launcher. We have had 3 plugins where Epic forgot to upload some of the files on update. This happened to Oceanology twice. How is it even possible to just Forget to upload some of the files? Also the Launcher News hasnā€™t been updated. You would think GDC would have been mentioned. Has the Launcherā€™s Staff been reduced? Why all the issues??

1 Like

I think I got Heterogeneous volume shadow working. Anyone been able to make it work with other lights than Directional?

2 Likes

Great update! Multi-Character Motion Mathcing was mentioned at the conference. What could this mean? Can anyone explain? Thanks!

Great news, this new version of Unreal Engine comes with a more recent version 1.9.0 of the Plastic SCM (Unity Version Control) revision control provider!

Cheers!
SRombauts

Iā€™ll definitely wait for stable 5.7

1 Like

The French translation is a disaster. I think it was a big mistake to translate everything, as there is virtually no support in this language, the comments would have been enough.

Still no ability to pin certain files (gameinstance ā€¦) to the top bar, I think thatā€™s a shame.

But this version is incredibly faster. Iā€™m glad an effort has finally been made in this area. Thank.

ŠøŠ·Š¾Š±Ń€Š°Š¶ŠµŠ½ŠøŠµ
Control Rig , Please make ( initial Current Offset ) and ( Min Max ) buttons in two lines .

Anyone else having issues with HWRT Shadows and Skeletal Meshes on Lumen an Path Tracing? Iā€™m having instances of skeletal meshes not appearing at all in path tracer and not receiving light shadows in lit. If I switch the lighting mode in lit from RT Shadows to nonRT the skeletal meshes shadows appear. Static Meshes load fine but unless I hide and unhide the skel mesh constantly it doesnā€™t appear in Lumen Scene or receive shadows.

Path Tracing the Skel mesh doesnā€™t show up at all no matter the material. I only can get it showing up if I hide and unhide it every time.

UE5.4 first Beta, Running on a MacBook Pro 16 Inch M1 16GB Ram, pretty Slow, mostly unusable, so am Awaiting for Update!..

Hi @Matthew.Ivey ,

I think there is another bug related to RT shadows.

In the Electric Dreams project, if I enable RT shadows and Nanite Mode 1 (or 0 too), itā€™s like lights in reflections are not being occluded by other objects:

Virtual Shadows (working as expected):

RT Shadows (itā€™s the only change) (shouldnā€™t reflect the Sun, as itā€™s behind a mountain):

Best regards

Hi there thanks a lot for your work.
Any idea on official 5.4 release date ?

Very exciting release!
I am all for the new features, but seeing how fixes to some basic functions gets postponed is really sad and impacting.

For example copy/paste between different levels in editor is unusable outside of simple casesā€¦

It was reported more than a year ago, target fix to 5.4 and now to 5.5ā€¦
Cannot upgrade because of that!

Datasmith in UE5.3 and 5.4 has import / visualization errors for cylindrical objects:

Itā€™s supposed that 21 cylinders should be visible above, but only on the right hand side is visible. Left hand side has issues, when the length/diameter-ratio exceeds a certain value.
I already filed bug reports to this topic (e.g. case 00628122), but never received any follow-up, so i want to try it here.
UE5.2 and before just work fine for the same CAD input file.

1 Like

Is there a memory leak in mac os build of 5.4 preview? It seems to just keep consuming memory until Iā€™m forced to quit the editor. And same happens with a packaged build for SM5 and SM6 (tried M1 and M3pro apple silicon)

2 Likes