Unreal Engine 5.4 Preview

I have only laggs and mini freezes in 5.4 on windows

I have the same issue, this version is unusable for me. Projects in 5.1 are running at 120fps, and the same projects with 5.4 suddenly give me constant lags and screen freezes. Even the fps profiler is freezing. Iā€™m running a 3060ti on Windows 10 and my graphics drivers are the very latest ones.

Just thought Iā€™d chime in to say that when Iā€™m projecting onto the landscapeā€™s virtual texture (in this case from a spline mesh) the displacement beneath the projected texture does not nullify. So the displacement from the landscape underneath shows through.

The road material Iā€™m projecting here contains displacement data from its texture, which means it should look generally flat.

Strangely if I run all of the displacement through the ā€˜maskā€™ layer in the RVT then it works fine and the road becomes flat. But doing that seems to introduce harsh banding / stepping into the displaced landscape.

Below image shows how it looks when I run the displacement data through the mask channel.

I frequently render sequences with Movie Render Queue overnight. It would be useful for energy saving purposes, especially the GPU, to have an option on the MRQ panel to put the PC to sleep at the end of the batch operation.

It seems that ProRes and DNxHR/MXF codecs are no longer showing up as Movie Render Queue export options on MacOS in the current 5.4 preview. This was working correctly in 4.26/4.27, and ProRes media plays in sequencer on my M2 Max.

I have the codecs enabled for exporting in the plugins tab, but the export options in MRQ are nowhere to be seen. Could we please get these export options enabled on MacOS for the 5.4 final release? :pray:

Hey @Miguel1900

Do you have any reproducible steps I can investigate? I want to make sure Iā€™m following the workflow you did so I can be as close to 1:1 as possible.

1 Like

Hi @Matthew.Ivey ! Thank you for keeping an eye!

Nothing special, just downloaded the Electric Dreams and enabled RT shadows. Then, you will get that ā€œnon occludedā€ reflections.

It seems to happen when the material is Water layer.

Anyway, I will try to reproduce the issue in an isolated and lightweight scene and will send to you during next days, so you wonā€™t need to download the whole Electric Dreams demo.

Thanks again!

Stay on 5.1. Later versions are just slower and slower, full of bugs and unfinished features. On 5.1 I had 61 fps, on 5.3.2 I have 45 in 1080pā€¦ I really regret that I migrated to a later version. Donā€™t do the same thing. I have a 3060 gtx and win 10 too. But it is interesting that the documentation still claims the same thing - 1440p at 60 fps.

1 Like

A bit late but Mac m2+ supports nanite natively, I use it on my m3 pro MacBook Pro.

1 Like

I can confirm nanite works. However, Tessellation/Displacement is not working for me on m2 pro. Does it work for you?

I have not tested that yet, I will test it once the full release is out. testing experimental features in a experimental build is not a good way to go about seeing if something works or not.

Displacement and tesselation is still considered experimental, hopefully by 5.5 or 5.6 it will be in full tested and on all platforms.

@Matthew.Ivey I have a problem with render, I get glow black around character or object . How can I fix this?

@xeno.SKB I have a problem with render, I get glow black around character or object . How can I fix this?

Hello how did you do that?

Same TopDown game created from template, Mac M1 16G RAM

• v5.3.2 : ~20 FPS
  • v5.4 Preview : ~8FPS
1 Like

@Amanda.Schade So itā€™s been about 1 month. Are we going to see another update soon???

Hello! For now we have option to seamlessly blend sequncer with gameplay.
It would be great to have the option to seamlessly blend from gameplay to sequencer .This is sorely lacking in UE. Will this be in UE5.4?
Or is this something we shouldnā€™t expect in the near future?

Is anyone else having an issue where every time the engine starts, it always pops the content browser up in a separate window?

1 Like

Load the static meshes into the Static Mesh Editor and save then load the materials into editor and save them. If it was made in 5.2 i(bugged) it fails and take 5.1 version and convert to 5.4 preview then it works check you content has not been corrupted and dont use 5.2 its not 5.4

1 Like

Yep, I thought I was going crazy lol. Well anyways, if you find a fix let me know please.