Unreal Engine 5.4 Preview

After testing the new 5.4.0 release this problem still persists.

Unless I am missing something this essentially makes landscape nanite displacement only an additive process (other than manual landscape painting) - meaning different displacement textures of similar heights or lower heights cannot be projected over one another. For example dips / holes / puddles cannot be projected onto the displacement of the landscape (there are many such textures that would be suitable for this within the Megascans library).

This would seem to be a big missed opportunity from a technical art perspective.

hi @EddieChristian ,
UE 5.4 Release is announced in
Unreal Engine 5.4 Released - General / Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

You probably need to uninstall 5.4 preview !

Unreal Engine 5.4 Released - General / Announcements My Lack of space -Queued

1 Like

Turns out the hard drive needs to be an SSD drive for 5.4, which seems to fix the freezes (at least for my limited testing at the moment).

Edit, turns out it didn’t fix it. Running out of ideas. Even when it is running my fps is aproximately half of what I get in 5.1.

This problem still persists, with no awnsers.

We’ve found the culprit :smiley: You can track the bug progression once it goes public here

1 Like

Sculpt does not work on the landscape.

Its 5.4.1 and I still cant make a simple masked lower third to run on Rundown.

I’m having the same problem. Did anyone find a solution?

I noticed this too, for some reason the same project files with the same settings have much lower framerates in 5.4 compared to 5.2 or 5.3. I’ve experienced a full 25fps drop so far.

Unreal 5.4.1 completly fails to work on my computer.
When I run it from Launcher - nothing happen - any splash screen, nothing.
When I run it manually UnrealEditor.exe - nothing happen. In Task Manager I see UnrealEditor task for 2-3 seconds and it disappear.
So I create in UE 5.3.2 empty project. Open Visual Studio 2022, and run debugger with result of Unhandled exception (showed in screenshot) in function:
FWindowsPlatformMisc::GetFeatureBits_X86()

My computer is:
Notebook DTR:
Hyperbook GTR - Clevo X170KM-G
Windows 10 Pro - 10.0.19042 Compilation 19042
x64-based PC
CPU 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700K, 3.60Ghz, 3600 Mhz, 8 cores, logic 16
BIOS: INSYDE Corp. 1.07.04, 11.01.2020
SMBIOS 3.3
Motherboard X170KM-G, Intel Z590 (Rocket Lake PCH-H)
64 GB DDR4 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop, 16 GB GDDR6 SDRAM, 256-bit
HDD Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB

So computer is really fast, and I don’t have any problem with really big Unreal projects on it (UE 4.25 to UE 5.3.2).

Anyone know what’s wrong? UE 5.3 and earlier works fine.

I try to solve problem with proposed by Epic solution:
In the Visual Studio 2022 installer, install the “MSVC v143 - VS 2022 C++ x64/x86 build tools (v14.38-17.8)”

Also upgrade VS 2022, restart computer, again, clean temp folders of project, rebuild, nad run with debug with different issue.
This time I have Unhandled exception in line:
if (CheckFeatureBit_X86(ECPUFeatureBits_X86::SSE42) == false)
inside function:
void FWindowsPlatformMisc::PlatformPreInit()

Again in screenshot is callstack and exception line. Editor do not launch at all.

And this is funny, because I have SSE4.2 in my CPU (HWiNFO screnshot)

hi @RosomakStudio
there is new guidance uninstalling Epic Launcher. Download a new copy and install

Follow official guidance
IS-INFO-DSTCVPAT error appears when trying to update a game - Epic Games Store Support

Hi @Jimbohalo10
unfortunately solution from your guidance doesn’t help :frowning:

I have a problem with flickering metahuman