Bug? Transform Tool "misplaced" when selecting foliage that has nanite enabled

Hello everyone,

I encountered a weird bug with the Transform Tool today (searches on google and the UE forums didn’t yield any similar threads).

I painted Nanite enabled rocks and branches with the Foliage tool - they don’t have any leaves, transparent bits or similar, so I expected no issues. They displayed properly and painting worked as usual. Eventually, I wanted to Foliage Select a single instance of one of these Nanite enabled Meshes to fine tune their placement.

UE5 highlights the one that I selected, but the Transform Tool appears for a different instance, instead. All transformations apply to this other, not highlighted Foliage Instance (that could potentially be miles across the map). While moving this wrongly selected instance around, the highlight also jumps between instances of the same Foliage Type. Obviously, this makes it almost impossible to select the correct instance that I want to modify.

Not: this happens both with Static Meshes dropped as-is in the Foliage Tool, as well as after they were saved as Foliage Types.

As soon as I disable Nanite for the Static Mesh that the Foliage Type uses, the Transform Tool persistently selects the correct instance again.

Is this a known issue? Has anyone been able to fix this? I’d like to use Nanite for these kinds of Meshes, but I also don’t want to lose the convenience of painting them as Foliage.

(I guess a possible workaround would be to paint them as Nanite enabled Foliage and in the case I need to fine tune the placement of one of them I just place that one as a regular Static Mesh in the world instead of through the Foliage Tool… which will become a bit messy eventually, however).

12 Likes

In version 5.1 P2 the problem persists and has not been solved.

2 Likes

We have the same issue with 5.0.3 – And having an even bigger issue:

We have hundreds of objects and when I select one… it selects another one!
Something is really off with the foliage selection. :confused:

5 Likes

I am having the same issue:(

1 Like

Same issue here on 5.1

1 Like

Same issue here… Any help?

1 Like

The workaround is to turn off Nanite on all foliage. After you no longer need the Select tool you can turn Nanite back on for everything.

6 Likes

I wish I’d known that before… I too, was having issues with hundreds of foliage placed throughout the level, and the transform tool would appear in the wrong spots. I ended up deleting all the foliage types that were having issues (which meant deleting about 1,000 foliage placements that were hand-placed, and took several hours to do…).

Nonetheless, can confirm that disabling nanite and saving the mesh will immediately fix the issue.

Happy to finally find I’m not the only one with this issue. Needs a fix ASAP.

Turning on Nanite after finish does seem to be the best workaround…

As Screamheart says, the current workaround is to turn off Nanite for all foliage then turn it back on. You can do that with console command “r.Nanite 0” to turn off nanite while you edit your foliage and then using “r.Nanite 1” to turn it back on. Its annoying but so far the easiest way around this bug that I found.

4 Likes

Same problem here, 5.1. Disabling and enabling nanite didn’t fix the problem.
In my earlier test projects I didn’t have that issue. Also, after restarting I can’t even select any of the meshes.

Hi, I have the same problem, I’m a recent Unreal user. But I can say that the foliage system is very important to scatter, for some singular plants I prefer to use the placement mesh.

Also, my foliage issue is worse because I’m working with large exterior scenes and the “delete” or “erase” command doesn’t work.

—> However I found a temporary solution that convinces for the foliage scatter, like the “Erase Selected Foliage” panel I select the foliage I want to work and i paint with set the density to 0 using the “reapply” function.
Even if you couldn’t select or manipulate with a gizmo that was never in the right place, it works for me.

I just hope there will not be suprise when i will open the project in different time.

1 Like

Worksss For ME!THANKS!

March 23rd, issue still not fixed, can devs please check out the foliage instance classes and fix the depth search algos :frowning:

Same issue here on my end too but with nanite trees! Except there’s a further problem for me.

For some reason some of my trees are morphing wildly, growing and shrinking like their wind effect is cranked up to an extreme. But the Static Meshes of those same trees I set down as an example don’t warp like this.

And it gets significantly worse the further away I paint. Like, the first bunch of trees that I paint are somewhat fine. But if I then paint trees on the opposite side of the map, they start undulating wildly, even shrinking into the ground and then growing to double their normal size. And this happens no matter where my initial paint is, so it doesn’t seem to be an origin-point issue. It’s like the first paint you place creates its own tiny origin point, and calculations get significantly worse once you paint away from it.

But as soon as I turn off nanite, everything is back to normal and no longer warping.

So while it seems that they’ve managed to add Nanite to trees, nanite does not work with the Foliage tool, only with manually placed static meshes of trees for some reason.

After some playing around, it does seem like the weird warping I was getting while placing nanite foliage was indeed the wind effect it came with. So I just disabled the wind entirely, and it got rid of that strange growing and shrinking effect. Obviously that’s not ideal, but ah well, this was just a project to learn the system anyway. It could have been the assets I decided to use and not an issue with the system itself.

Though the strange selection issues seem to be universal, regardless of which assets are used.

Just wanted to add my experience with this. Using 5.1.1 and nanite enabled foliage is still misbehaving. The translate, rotate and scale tools all select incorrect instances. Disabling nanite on the foliage lets you select the correct foliage instance, and then you have to re-enable nanite afterwards.

1 Like

Have you ever tried turning off Nanite and is the wind still normal after turning it off, if it’s still not normal, it’s probably a matter of materials because the foliage Instance placement is special

1 Like

I encountered the same issue. I found a fix here: [UE5.2][NANITE][BUG:GLITCH][HELP] - #3 by DofusGolmor

I’ve been experiencing this issue since 5.0 and it is still present in 5.2. I have to disable Nanite in order to transform individual foliage elements, otherwise the gizmo appears and operates on a different instance than the selected one.