Holes in Navmesh

Summary

I’ve got holes in the navmesh, mostly when bounds meet with each other. These holes prevent the AI from traversing there. I have tried changing many settings and nothing has helped so far. Sculpting the landscape helps a bit but doesn’t fully fix it. I would be very glad if someone could help me with this!

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

AI

Steps to Reproduce

Build paths on a landscape.

Expected Result

No holes on navmesh.

Observed Result

Small holes in navmesh which prevent navigation.

Affects Versions

5.6

Platform(s)

Windows

Upload an image

Holes where two landscape components/bounds meet almost always mean the navmesh is rebuilding against the wrong simplification level, not an actual landscape gap. Common causes and fixes:

  • Cell size too large: for AI on foot, drop Navmesh cell size to 25 (or 12.5 for tighter spaces) in Project Settings > Navigation Mesh. Holes at component seams usually close at smaller cells.
    • Landscape collision LOD: the navmesh uses the landscape’s collision LOD, not render LOD. Check the Landscape actor’s Collision LOD / LOD0 sample settings — if collision is coarser than the visual mesh, you get real dips between components that navmesh (correctly) refuses to span. Raise collision resolution.
      • Slope/step limits: at component borders you often get a slight height seam; if it exceeds Max Slope or Step Height the navmesh cuts a hole. Nudge Step Height up slightly (e.g., 35 to 45) just to confirm this is the cause — then fix the real seam via sculpting.
        • If it’s a runtime generated navmesh bound mismatch, try Runtime Generation = Static while testing so you’re looking at the fully generated tile set, not partially streamed tiles.

Hi @HelioHsx ,
Here are a few posts that might help you

Hope it helps!

Hello, I tried these but they didn’t help. It seems no change in navigation mesh will solve this issue. Must be somewhere else.

Hello,

I checked everything you linked. Thank you for the references, however the only one fitting my situation is this one: Navmesh cracks in irregular geometry such as hills

And its unresolved since 2017.

I still tried everything commented on those posts, didn’t fix the issue.

I still can’t find a solution :frowning: