GPU crashed or D3D device removed error

Hello everyone! I’m having trouble launching my project in UE5. whenever I attempt to launch my project, the message “GPU crashed or D3D device removed. Use -d3ddebug to enable D3D device.” keeps popping up. I’ve tried other resources, but none of them seemed to resolve my issue.

1 Like

Hey there @Sneezyceiling87! Welcome to the community! So this error is somewhat generic and can be caused by a myriad of things. I’ll drop you a couple of resources with some possible solutions, and let me know if any of them work. If it’s not to much to ask I’d also like to know your specs for my notes on this issue.

So starting with official documentation. It mostly goes over TDR being the problem, which may or may not be it for you.

WARNING THIS GUIDE EDITS THE REGISTRY: BE CAREFUL IN THE REGISTRY

Then Now if the TDR fix didn’t help out I’ve got a couple more things to try to see if either of them are the issue. So in your project settings, what kind of Anti Aliasing is your project using? If it’s MSAA swap it over to TSR or FXAA as a test.

Also, after that try it on DX11:

If you use MSI afterburner or anything that provides an overlay direct from GPU, try disabling it and see how it goes.

Let me know if any of these work in the meantime.

Hi @SupportiveEntity So I did try the 1st method but that didn’t seem to resolve the issue and the other 2 methods I can’t do anyways because I can’t get into my project. I can get into where you can create your project, but when I try to launch it, the error prevents me from doing so.

Ahhh in the 3rd tutorial it shows you can edit the projects default RHI target in your defaults INI file, you can do that without launching the project. Then if it does launch in Dx11 and not Dx12, try and do the second afterwards if you can and let me know!

how can I do that without going into my project? all I can do is go to the unreal project browser and that’s it.

The tutorial mentions to go into your projects config folder and to the default engine.ini then change over to DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX11.

An example of me doing it:

As mentioned in the tutorial:

Edit “…/path_to_your_UE5_project/config/DefaultEngine.ini” and change DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX12 to your preferred RHI (e.g. DX11 or Vulkan)

See an example below to use DirectX 11 instead of 12:

[/Script/WindowsTargetPlatform.WindowsTargetSettings]

DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX11

Ok, I’ll do that and I’ll let you know and see how it goes

Definitely let me know! This is an ongoing issue that we’re tracking and am trying to figure out a magic bullet for everyone in the meantime. So far dropping to DX11 has solved most of the cases, however it doesn’t help people that need to use DX12’s features in the meantime.

Ok, so I tested the program and it finally worked! so mainly what the issue was is I was on dx’s 12 features instead of dx11’s features…im gonna save this page for the future just in case if I run into problems or forget how to fix it XD. thanks for the help! @SupportiveEntity!

1 Like

not for me :frowning:

Hey there @NeoGameFactory! Can I have a bit of a description of the situation?

Were you in editor and just working on something then it crashed or is this happening every time you launch?

Are you successfully able to open other (empty) projects?

May I see your specs?

Does it only occur in fullscreen?

By replying here I’m going to assume you’d already tried the TDRdelay fix and I know you swapped down to DX11 there, so we won’t retread those waters.

Some other solutions:

If you’re using Nvidia, swap from Game-Ready drivers to Studio Drivers.

If you have MSI afterburner or any other adjacent device that touches GPU side data it’s best disabled in Unreal’s case.

This thread has a bunch of possible solutions: Does anybody know how to fix d3d device being lost? - #9 by jwatte

@SupportiveEntity

Specs:
Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-12700F (20 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit
Memory: 49152MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
Dedicated Memory: 12142 MB

I tried anything, i don’t have Afterburner or anything else related to overclocking.
TDRDelay and so one was tested but without success. Changed Game to Studio Driver and again it failed.

It occurs in Fullscreen, Window and Borderless Window. I tried do disable AntiAliasing in the NVidia Software… as i said everything…

I exported it with dx12 RHI and dx11RHi and both crashed (see the Pictures)

How to crash the Game (Shipped)

As a host:
Open the Game, Start a server and load a map and after this, if you want to go back to the main menu it crashed (Close Server and Load main menu map)

as a Client:
Open the Game, Join Server - > Crash (Connect to server and load map)

i found a workaround now

Game is exported as DX12RHI, but when the game is started with the “-dx11” start parameter it don’t crash.

I have now tested it again with my colleague (without the “-dx11” parameter). He has the following specifications:

Intel i7 9700KF
AMD RX 580 8GB
80GB RAM
Win 10 21H2

It occured there as well, but not constantly(rarely) and so it can also be more of a Windows 11 or GPU(NVidia) Bug.

EDIT:
With -dx11 parameter it is fixed as well.

I’ve been tracking this issue for a bit so I can add to the reports, the original issues before some of the new rendering tech had only occurred when users bumped up against their GPU’s higher limits, but recently I’ve been noticing even powerful GPUs (mostly Nvidia but marketshare makes this sample hard) dropping during even weaker scenes. Recently though there’s been a bunch of smaller issues that cause the issue muddying the waters a bit. Whenever the D3D device drops out it’s rather generic. It could have been taking issue with a random Niagara particle, could have dropped something in memory due to things like afterburner or other GPU toys, or even just took a millisecond too long and tripped the TDR limit.

The DX11 bandaid helps most of the time as long as you don’t need DX12 features. Will this work out for the time being? If I find any more information I keep a spreadsheet of these threads just in case so I can update all of them if I get more information.

We are using unreal 5 with lumen and nanite.

And nanite needs dx12 but when the dx11 option is the only solution then we need to drop nanite support for now.

Ahh that’s unfortunate, if I may ask how does your GPU profiling look? If you swap your starting map to an empty one in DX12 will it launch at all?

Escuse me for the late response. Do you mean the startparameter -d3ddebug and then the log?

The starting map is the main menu, this works on both, server and client.
Loading the next map, hosting is working, but not on client.

I tested, btw, the game on steamdeck now and it works without the -dx11 parameter. Seems really like a bug with better GPU’s.

On my pc with linux it was also crashing…

The DX logs may provide us with a bit more insight.

I agree in that it’s mostly better GPU’s are being effected by this specific issue especially in my sample sizes and demographic (game developers usually have great hardware). However it’s so hard to say definitively what’s occurring in all cases. Good to know that it’s not universal with the project!

Undervolting helped me to avoid crash completely not only for UE, but for games too:

2 Likes

Thank you!
Finally, in my case it works.

3 Likes