GPU crashed or D3D device removed error

Does undervolting really help to stop the ue5.1 from crashing alot?. Because I don’t know if it works for me. And I’m alittle terrified to try it too

I’d recommend trying out all other options before changing anything physical, however in some cases it has helped some users.

1 Like

okay, I’ll definitely give it a try, and see how this goes so far

1 Like

Also another question. Should I close my opera gx browser, while I have the unreal editor 5.1 opened?. Because I know the opera gx browser has alot of memory usage. But I also like to having it open when I’m like listening to music, or watching a twitch streamer while I’m doing fan art work on unreal engine 5.1.1

As long as you’re not hitting anywhere near 90% ram usage or high CPU usage, you’re totally fine there. Feel free to pull up task manager or another monitoring program on the side and keep an eye on the values during your sessions to make sure you’re fine.

That said, the D3D device removed is most often related to GPU driver issues more than anything. That said you could be maxing out on VRAM, but not commonly for simple/graphically intensive projects. I’d recommend keeping an eye on that as well. Let me know if any of the fixes in this thread (or the others mentioned) work out. This is an issue I keep tabs on often.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll definitely will keep an eye on it. And make sure not to use any browser too much of it :+1:t5:

The error message you are receiving in Unreal Engine 5 suggests that there may be an issue with your graphics card or DirectX setup. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Update your graphics card drivers: Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your graphics card installed. You can check the manufacturer’s website for the most recent drivers and instructions on how to install them.
  2. Verify DirectX installation: Check that you have the correct version of DirectX installed. You can do this by typing “dxdiag” in the search bar in the Start menu and opening the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. In the System tab, you can see the version of DirectX that is installed on your system.
  3. Verify your graphics card supports DirectX 12: Make sure that your graphics card supports DirectX 12, as Unreal Engine 5 requires a graphics card that is compatible with DirectX 12.
  4. Try using the -d3ddebug command line option: As the error message suggests, you can try using the -d3ddebug command line option to enable D3D device debugging. To do this, right-click on your Unreal Engine 5 shortcut and select “Properties.” In the “Target” field, add -d3ddebug to the end of the command line, after the quotation marks.
  5. Check your hardware for issues: If none of the above solutions work, it may be worth checking your hardware for issues. You can run diagnostic tests on your graphics card and other components to make sure that everything is working properly.

If none of these steps solve your issue, you may want to reach out to the Unreal Engine community forums or Epic Games support for further assistance. They may be able to provide more specific guidance on how to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.

@SupportiveEntity Will, I was doing fine for the whole moment. Still had gotten a d3d error again. And yet again, nothing else I can do about it. Sorry. But I’m done. Gonna be taking a long break from until whatever this issue can be solved

1 Like

Well it’s crashing for me. It’s a listen server

And my specs will amaze you guys.
Intel i7 13th gen
RAM 32GB DDR5
GPU - ARC A770 16GB (Remember I said “AMAZE”)
UE - 5.2.1

I have reverted to RHI to DX11 and moved from MSAA to TSR/FXAA. Below are my attachments before and after changes.
Also it’s working good in DX11 based my potato laptop it’s joining sessions there.

To be mentioned is the issue causing bcoz of Async loading screen plugin?

that isn’t the error we’re talking about in this thread

I recently encountered a similar error. Perhaps this will help solve the problem.

Try deleting the project cache that Unreal Engine uses for temporary files. These are folders such as “DerivedDataCache”, “Intermediate” and “Saved”. Delete them, or move the folder to another location. When opening the project they will be restored.

First, in the DefaultEngine.ini settings you need to set the desired DirectX value.

[/Script/WindowsTargetPlatform.WindowsTargetSettings]
DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX12

Of all the solutions I encountered, this was the only one that worked. Thanks for the fix!

Okay, i have the same issue on the UE5.3.
I was able to reproduce this fault twice at different times, but didn’t pay much attention the first time as I was working with simple scenes and blueprints.
So, in my case the problem was caused by activating MSI Afterbirner, which was already in the system tray. I didn’t have time to make any changes: I just activated the window and decided to change the fan speed.
After that all the scenes using HRI DX12 started crashing with the same error.

How did I try to solve the problem?

1. I created a new project, copying all the assets from the old project into it - except for the file /Content/Main.umap, which obviously stores the project structure and all its settings. As soon as I returned the project file, the error was returned.
    Verdict: viable, but impractical due to the time required to re-configure the scene.
  2. Uninstall MSI Afterburner and reinstall video card drivers (GeForce Experience has a function to reinstall the current driver). Next, reboot the system. After that all my projects started working normally.
    Verdict: effective, but there is still a question of regulating the fan speed and/or voltage on the video card, as many people use undervolting to reduce the power consumption of the video card.

Addendum. Subsequent installation of Afterburner is currently not causing any errors.

Hey there @F-3021! Welcome back to the community! Glad you got it sorted! For tracking purposes, may I ask what version of Afterburner you’re currently using? The Afterburner issues have been rather consistent for a while, and if I can pin down the fixed version I can let other users know!

Hello, I apologize for the long time I haven’t responded. It just slipped my mind. Everything I did was on MSI Afterburner v4.6.5.16370 [compiled on 03-04-2023 02:49:34].

1 Like

I was able to get past the D3D device removed error which happened every time I did click especially in the black to the sides or the file menu. All I did was go in the intel graphics (right click on desktop) and select 720x1280 resolution. A stunt I have pulled many times when gaming in Steam games to get past the issues that ofte arose. After reducing the resolution I got a steady 1 or 2 minute session. As I was just trying to get it all on, having downloaded it earlier today for the first time (UE 5.3.2) I felt this was a success. Razer Blade 17" (2017) with the 1060 and the 24 of RAM, the intel 7700 i7.