Unreal Engine 5.2 Released

Unreal Engine 5.2 is now available! In this update, UE5’s toolset has been equipped with new and innovative features to push the boundaries of what all creators are capable of—as well as adding notable stability improvements.

Download Unreal Engine 5.2 from the Epic Games launcher, GitHub, or for Linux!

New Experimental Features - Procedural Content Generation framework (PCG) & Substrate

In what’s latest and greatest, we have two new experimental features that focus on creating even bigger and better worlds. The in-house Procedural Content Generation framework (PCG) offers the ability to populate large scenes with Unreal Engine assets at your disposal, while including both in-editor tools and a runtime component. This means that the PCG system not only tackles large projects by doling out massive numbers of assets, but can also run in other real-time applications; creating a dynamic world that reacts, changes and truly feels alive.

Substrate is a new way of creating more controlled and customizable high-fidelity materials that can be used in both linear and real-time applications. This feature replaces the current fixed suite of shading models to provide a modular multi-lobe framework that has more parameter space & a better range of surface appearances once enabled in the project settings.

As both of these are Experimental features, we welcome feedback as we continue to refine functionality.

Virtual Production Updates

A new iOS app for ICVFX stage operations (coming soon for iPad via the Apple App Store) will offer a touch-based interface for stage operations! Filmmakers will have direct control over color grading, light card placement and nDisplay management tasks within the LED volume, making it possible to change the look of stages where filming is actively happening.

Unreal Engine’s VCam system also received enhancements, including the ability to operate multiple simultaneous Virtual Cameras off a single editor instance and create different camera moves that feel better layered and intuitive.

SMPTE 2110 builds now have extended nDisplay support. This builds toward the next generation of ICVFX hardware deployment, furthering the groundwork laid in 5.1 for suitable testing.

Apple Silicon Support

The Unreal Editor now has native support for Apple Silicon, which brings improved performance and greater stability to users. You can download the Universal Binary of UE from the Epic Games launcher - which now supports both Apple Silicon and Intel CPUs!

New ML Deformer Sample

A new ML Deformer sample is available that includes an interactive demo, showcasing how machine learning technology can drive realistic muscle movement, as well as folds on clothing with deformation simulations possible on a high-fidelity real-time character. For extra insight, compare the difference between ML Deformers and included Control Rig asset! Download the ML Deformer Sample here.

Known Issues

For a complete listing of known issues affecting Unreal Engine 5.2, please see the Unreal Engine Public Issue Tracker .

• Google has informed developers of a vulnerability in certain versions (earlier than M102) of WebRTC. Impacts, workarounds, and updates can be found here.

• Developers using either PS4 SDK 10.508.001 or PS5 SDK 7.00.00.38 in conjunction with Epic Online Services will be unable to generate final packages for submission to Sony until Epic Online Services SDK v1.16 releases.

• Crash at runtime when generating in PCG

Fixes a crash with the Static Mesh Spawner nodes that have no connected output in non-editor builds, with this callstack:

Assertion failed: (Index >= 0) & (Index < ArrayNum) [File:...\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\Array.h] [Line: 752]

Array index out of bounds: -1 from an array of size 0

0x00007ff6e612d778 ...!FPCGStaticMeshSpawnerElement::PrepareDataInternal() [...\Engine\Plugins\Experimental\PCG\Source\PCG\Private\Elements\PCGStaticMeshSpawner.cpp:188]

This can be fixed with a code change and data change:

• Code: UE5/Main - CL 25402678
    • To fix the issue in data, it suffices to have the Static Mesh Spawner node output connected to something, even if that does nothing - it could be a disabled Debug node, a Gather node not used anywhere or it can be the Output node (when relevant).
  • Light Mixer Tool
    The Light Mixer may not initially display the intended property columns and/or any properties at all. You can restore the column defaults by right-clicking on the column header and selecting “Attenuation”, “Intensity”, “Light Color”, and “Light Channels” from the list. You should only need to do this once for it to work across all instances of the engine.

• Switch Mobile Renderer chooses incorrect shading model

An issue can occur when using the (default) Mobile Renderer on the Switch where the wrong shading model (deferred vs. forward) is chosen.

This can be fixed with both a code change and a INI setting change:

• Code: UE5/Main - CL 25418084
    • INI: Add the following lines to SwitchEngine.ini to ensure that the forward shading model is chosen:
    [/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]

r.Mobile.ShadingPath=0

If you discover new issues with this release, please report them using the guidelines in the link: How to Report a Bug .

And we're just getting started!

Check out the complete details in the Unreal Engine documentation—and share your feedback below!

26 Likes

Thank you!
Does anyone have a guide for the optimal settings for using 5.2 with Apple Silicon?

2 Likes

Amazing, thank you for the update!

1 Like

Let’s go!

1 Like

Thanks for updating the City Sample for 5.2. It’s a great project to benchmark Unreal Engine’s performance. Hope to see Lumen performance increase.

1 Like

Hi All,
**UPDATE : 30th May 2023 **
I have now made a patch for 5.2 with instructions how to install and amendment to the documentation

TwinmotiontoUnrealBeta-5.2-patch/README.md

Twinmotion IS NOT updated for 5.2 see only the DOCUMENTATION IS!!!

Twinmotion to Unreal Engine 5.1/ for Virtual Camera Workflows | Epic Developer Community (epicgames.com)

1 Like

@Amanda.Schade HUGE BUG: opening a previously working scene breaks the Lumen lighting in UE5.2.0. And it can be easily reproduced (so, easily suffered too):

5 Likes

Great job on updating the animation blueprints optimization guideline (Animation Optimization in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.2 Documentation)! :smiley:

But you guys removed all the information about FAnimInstanceProxy and how to use. I was hoping you guys could provide more details how to optimize animation blueprints on C++ side.
Before documentation contained a few examples of how to use FAnimInstanceProxy and description how it should be used.

Could you guys please make a documentation about FAnimInstanceProxy and examples how to do it?

Best wishes

1 Like

Can the new PCG use HISM objects??

1 Like

Hi @EddieChristian,
There is a more in depth question here

PCG - Custom HISM component class for Procedural Content Generator - Programming & Scripting / C++ - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

LoL it’s a simple question and Neither have an answer…

I can’t get the editor to use hardware lumen.
I can’t proceed with my test without it looking right.

Complex scenes like this need hardware RT lumen

I don’t have this problem in 5.1 or 5.0

EDIT: I also crash every time I use TSR visualizer

It would not make sense if it didn’t. It probably just happens under the hood. Only case where it would not would be if it used something that’s even better than HISM, but I doubt it.

Will the forest level with the car be available anywhere?

Can anyone point me to the docs for PCG please?

The link in the release notes is broken, and I can’t find it anyhwere else in the docs:

Well, I tested Nanite+Lumen(NO HWRT) performance from 5.1 to 5.2.

Lumen seems more expensive now which is very disappointing, and the exact opposite of what I was hoping for since I cannot achieve 60fps on a RTX 3060, 1927x1027p, 100% Screen Percentage, no AA, and the settings below with any version of UE5.

5.2, these are the minimal settings allowed in our project.

Now here’s the same unaltered project, same settings on 5.1. With an even more intensive view of the city to make a bigger point (and because I could not align) Even with the closest align, 5.1 lumen still outperformed 5.2.

I’m still hoping to see hardware 5.2 lumen perform better than 5.1 hardware lumen. For the moment this is extremely underwhelming. UE5 on medium high settings should run 60fps on a modern RT card running at their appropriate recommended resolution. Hopefully our project will run better than the city sample as we will try to keep material complexity in the green (See material complexity view on the City Sample, pretty much all red).

But for the record, Fortnite 5.1 on these scalability settings runs pretty much that same and that makes me wonder how optimized are the materials in Fortnite or how optimized is UE5?

I’m not trying to trash the UE5 devs, I’m only expressing my disappointment in the fps(lower then 60) I achieve when using the minimal settings for our quality presentation goal, on target hardware/native resolution. I really want lumen and nanite to run 60fps on the setup I presented. This I what I want from UE5 first, not new features.

Please fix niagara windforce 2.0 uasset:

Input has invalid type, seems something related with packaging or blueprint corruption. Since 5.1.

Hi! I have a project that work since 4.21. The materials using 16/16 texture sample. But in UE 5 . 2 this materials doesn’t work. They say [sm6] Shader using to many texture sampler 17/16. If I remove one and try to save it I get the same answer again. If I remove one again, It works. The the material graph showing the correct number only when I try to save get this message:\ Any gues what changed?

Hi @Miguel1900, Can confirm fails on both copies of 5.2.1 release even the update which just came out, with Quixel Fix. Still NOT fixed
Works fine on my 5.3 (ue5-main) with GPULighmass 5.3 patches.
see my updated post
's GPULightmass - Development 5.3 preview post

1 Like

Hi @Amanda.Schade,
Any major changes in the City Sample or its plugins? I’ve noticed none of the crowd/ mass actors are being spawned. All plugins enabled. Please advise. Thank you.

2 Likes