Nanite meshes only using Fallback meshes and not showing in visualization

In the project I’m workingon I had to enable nanite due to performance and this caused most of my models to only use the fallback mesh. Most models are also not showing up in the visualization view modes.

Some of my models are from quixel, these are mostly fine but the rest are either made by me or imported from Kitbash3D Cargo. All of these are very mixed, some works and some doesn’t. No matter what i set Position Precision, Normal Precision and Minimum Residency the models never show more than the fallback mesh.

The project is set to DX12 and is using the SH6 mode. Substrate is also on.

Windows version is Windows 10 Pro, 22H2, 19045.3570.
I’m running on a RTX 3090 on the latest Studio driver 537.58

Is there anything I’m missing to fix this?

Make sure the editor is running in DX12 by hovering over the project name in the top right.

The editor is running in DX12

Oh, I misread the issue, it works sometimes. Usually this is related to the material and shading model being used not being supported. Nanite will not work on a model that is using an unsupported shading model for any of the material slots. I’d start with just assigning a basic new opaque material to every material slot for those problematic models and see if they start working.

Nanite doesn’t support translucent, cloth, or subsurface shading models. I believe Megascans sometimes use the cloth shading model for fuzzy moss on certain assets.

2 Likes

I had the same issue and it wasn’t related to DX12 SM6 pr Material or Shader compatibility, it seems the project was stuck displaying the fallback mesh only.

My Fix: Go into editor preference and change the location of the derived data cache for both local and shared, this will then ask you to restart, once it restarts it will force a rebuild of the shaders and meshes, this should fix the meshes being stuck in its fallback state.