Major - Editor freezes when saving, deleting files, extensive freeze when resaving all

This is how long UEFN freezes for every time I save ANYTHING (not Save All, just a single file). Notice my mouse hovering on top of buttons, it gives a tell when the editor is unfrozen because they start to light up again:

And now when pressing the “resave all” button (the video below started recording after I realized it was taking too long +5 secs to start recording):

Logs right after resave all happened:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkG5n8_vobVPrKgk7GlKC2YaGf3JkQ (too big to attach, forums are being annoying again)

These waiting times add to the already long waiting times of syncing with live edit, and UEFN becomes very hard (or very risky, cause you can also avoid saving until you have many things to save) to work with.

These are the specs of my PC (it’s considered a great PC):
DxDiag.txt (121.0 KB)

There are also some actions that take even longer to perform when saving is accounted for, essentially anything that has to do with materials copying/deleting etc.
Autosave also causes editor stalling, and the only save that doesn’t stall the editor is when there is nothing to save (when pressed).

This issue relates to this btw:

and this: Unreal editor freezes while saving. How do i fix this?

and this (from UE forums): Saving a material while compiling it freezes the editor until it has finished compiling

This is a minidump of UEFN right after a stall. The stall was caused by deleting an audio wave file (no save was required to freeze the editor)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkG5n8_vobVPrKgqiSjK0be11FzwDA (another big file that forums don’t like, and yes I will complain every time because the forums wait for the file to slowly fully upload then tell me it exceeds max size)

Thanks for grabbing a minidump @Wertandrew I’ll take a look!

1 Like

Any updates @HalcyonKnight96 ? I’m having the same issue

Started a new project and I am having this again after the project started getting somewhat complex.

For me it starte since 25.10, but it is true that it gets worse the more objects there are. I’m at around 500k objects because i have a level where i tryout some props

Spending HOURS re-creating because I can’t save 30% of the time because of this.

OMFG… I’m done with UE. So sick of having to re-do my work. And these are not huge changes. Nor is it a big project.

@RiverImp Thank you for your report! Can you please re-post using the “New Issue” option on the Issues and Bug Reporting forums ? Posts with this feature are connected directly into our development team so we can quickly get to them!
For more information, such as how to get the reference ID, please check out the article here: Using the Creative and UEFN Bug Reporting Form

Start from 1 and keep going down if it doesn’t get fixed:

1. Close Verse Explorer window
  2. Turn off Unreal Revision Control
  3. Save project on a folder that Onedrive doesn’t track
  4. Run UEFN from an SSD drive

I’ve tried this, but it still keeps freezing my UE. I’ve sitting here trying to fix this for the past 2 days. It’s unbelievable that I still didn’t find a fix for this.

Did not work for me either

Wait wait wait… Is this fixed??? IS IT??? TELL ME??? I haven’t locked up at ALL today??? lol Man, hope it is… so far so good though today! Normally I’ve already had a lock up about 5-10 times already.

UCB-1250 incident has been created. Status is ‘Awaiting Validation’.

I’ve been having this issue with just placing or moving something.

Hey all, apologies for the long delay in a response here.

We recently made a fix to the Verse Explorer that was causing unnecessary Verse rebuilds whenever source control operations were involved, meaning that a single VCS operation would result in a corresponding Verse build. This is no longer the case and if you were experiencing stalls related to this, this should now be fixed.

If you’re still having stalls, please try closing the Verse Explorer and seeing if the stall goes away. Either way, please report the issue if you’re still seeing stalls related to file operations!

1 Like

As a side note, want to also mention that in large projects, placing any actor in the viewport will stall UEFN for 1 second (100% repro) and same happens if you alt+drag an actor in viewport as well.

1 Like

Having this exact experience as well

I’m having the same issue. But for me it saves to the Unreal Revision Control for like forever and the editor freezes itself after like 5 minutes while i’m editing in a Live Edit Session and it disconnects the session making everything done in the session lost because the editor saves all the actors that was placed before it was saving.

that’s because live edit is not yet asynchronous with all systems in UEFN. Any loading you get in UEFN, if you edit anything in live edit, you disconnect the two modes and can even cause a network error.