Connecting Nodes in Blueprint Causes Lag

Ok, you’d need to cut it down somehow.

Make a new empty project, and migrate just one level ( map ) to the new project. That should be much smaller. You can also leave out meta-human and DLSS as I don’t have that.

Maybe try disabling them first, in case one of them is actually causing the problem.

I disabled all add-ons, but the issue persisted. I am doing my best to get you the project file. It is taking some time to zip and upload. In the meanwhile, I made another screen recording of different project I have with no lag. It’s a very similar project. I even transferred many assets including the character blueprint from the project with lag to this project with no lag. Connecting nodes is instant and the drop-down menus appear instantly. Same PC different project.

Ok, sounds. Well, if you can make a simple / smaller project do it, I’ll take a look :slight_smile:

Hey there @nrvdm.cryonaut! Looks like Clockwork has got it covered, but I’m interested in the outcome, as this has stumped me as well. Generally the blueprint node slowdown comes as that specific blueprint itself gets bloated, however across the entire project while other windows are closed? That’s interesting and could be related to another issue I’ve been tracking.

1 Like

Hello! Thank you for joining this thread. I’ll happily answer any of your questions too. I was able to direct message Clockwork a Google Drive link to the project. If you’d like the link, please just let me know. And yes, the lag has spread throughout the entire project. Clockwork responded to my direct message saying they do not experience the lag. They don’t experience the lag! (I need their PC…) I think this might be a great discovery for me. Although, I still don’t know how to fix it on my PC.

Clockwork, are your PC specs and hardware similar to mine at all? Or maybe yours is better? Thanks.

It’s a five year old machine, with a GTX1660 :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ClockworkOcean @SupportiveEntity

I believe to have made an extremely important discovery. I previously mentioned that the issue was happening in both directx11 and directx12, but I was mistaken. This random lag problem is only happening in directx11. Unfortunately, I still don’t believe this actually solves the problem. I cannot use directx12. The game crashes every couple seconds and it is completely unplayable in directx12. The game never crashes in directx11.

So what’s the difference? Can I get rid of this lag in directx11?

If you use a 10900k which is very power hungry CPU can you check the temps of it…Not that it has bad temps and it under clocks because of it…

“…The chip is free to jump to 250W during boost activity, and motherboard vendors can ignore those limits.”

You need a pretty beefy cpu cooling solution for this one as it seems…

Edit: I would awso benchmark something like cinebench for some time and then compare the score if it hit’s a “normal” score… Further i would awso check something like a heavy game and see if there are any anomaly with fps or lags there. If not then hardware is running just fine… But benchmark for longer then 1-2 min to be sure… and keep an eye on the temps in general not only on the cpu…

I would try a figure out why it’s crashing with 12, that seems like a good way forward.

I’m using an NZXT water pump and their software is indicating around 35C for the CPU. I’m not sure if that’s accurate or if that’s good or bad.

I got the idea to open some old saves of the project. I sorted by date and one by one I kept opening the project at a later save date until I encountered the issue. The issue seems to happen after having changed from directx12 to directx11. The game would crash every few seconds in directx12 which is why I switched. The game never crashes in directx11.

That is all I did and now the lag is entirely gone. Even with it set to directx11 still. (For now at least.) So I really didn’t do anything. Again, just open some old saves. I don’t really no why the lag is gone now. I was hoping for an exact solution, but all I can really do is explain that I did what I’ve mentioned and now it’s gone for some reason.

I spent a long time trying to prevent it from crashing in directx12. I could never get it to work with directx12. I don’t know if it would crash for everyone else in directx12 too or not.

I will give it a go…

1 Like

If this is the temp you have on full load then that’s really amazing good temps… Water Cooling is for sure the best way to go for a cpu like yours…

I had awso crashing problems with dx 12 when i rendered a scene and it aways crashed so i had to switch to dx 11 then everyting worked fine. I found out it had to do with the “texture streaming” option which solved my issue and i could then render just fine in dx 12…

You can check it out if you want is the last post for the solution i found but was only for rendering…

What’s the GPU crashing error? If it’s similar (and sometimes even if not), this thread has lots of possible fixes. Much of the time it could be a simple driver setting issue with a specific UE setting like virtual textures, Anti Aliasing type (Specifically TSAA usually), and more.

Feel free to check this thread out and many of the posts are either solid workarounds or drastic ones.

I did the Cinebench R23 test. It gave the CPU 13994 points for multi core after rendering two of the images for like two minutes. The CPU temp went to around 75C. I will definitely check out your link. Thank you!

Here’s the error! I’ll check your links too! Thank you!

Ok, H-U-G-E amount of VRAM. That’s why it’s crashing.

It wanted 10GB and was still going. Then I got D3D device removed.

You need to cut back on textures, and make them 2k instead of 4k ( haven’t checked, just assuming that ).

10K texture ? :slight_smile: ( on the rope )

Also, a lot of non-power of two sizes.

Score seems little lower then others but not significantly have seen some around 15500 not overclocked… So that ain’t bad and 75°c is awso pretty decent for this cpu and ok for sure… 35°c was too good to be true for full load ^^