Connecting Nodes in Blueprint Causes Lag

Connecting nodes is instant at the beginning of a project. As I continue, connecting nodes gets progressively slower. Nothing else changes. Connecting nodes locks the screen for a few seconds every time. It does this in all blueprints. Even blueprints that have no nodes or variables or anything in it yet. I have 32gb of ram and task manager indicates less than half being used. Is there a way to fix this?

2023-07-13 14-56-46

1 Like

Does it happen with an empty level open?

Unfortunately, yes. It still happens. Even after selecting file, new level, empty level. Connecting nodes is still very slow and does the same as mentioned above.

My project is indefinitely on hold until I can speed this up. It is too slow to work with. Everything else is completely fine though. I don’t really know what’s causing it. Just that the more I work on a project, the worse it gets. Thank you.

1 Like

Ok. Not what I thought then.

How about a new project?

Connecting nodes is instant and everything is buttery smooth in a new project. As my projects progress, connecting nodes becomes progressively slower everywhere in the projects. Adding nodes and variables too. I’d estimate a few thousand nodes and a few hundred variables are being used throughout this project. That seems to be the limit, but I don’t understand why. I’d likely need to add a few thousand more nodes and a couple hundred more variables throughout the project, but at this rate it wouldn’t be possible. I’m using an i9 10900K intel CPU, an nvidia 3090 GPU, 32gb of RAM, and samsung 990 SSD.

I just have to check, this is not a few thousand nodes in one blueprint? :slight_smile:

Hundreds per BP, and an unlimited number of BPs should be no problem.

I can’t find any similar cases at the moment…

My densest blueprints are my third person character and level blueprint by far. The two blueprints each have about 250 variables and 4,000 nodes. All other blueprints have about 5-25 variables and maybe 25-100 nodes. There’s probably a few hundred blueprints total. The lag is not only happening in these two densest blueprints though. It happens in all blueprints in the entire project. Even if the blueprint is completely new and empty. New projects don’t have this issue.

The lag happens when connecting nodes, adding nodes, adding variables, and right clicking to search for nodes. What is the computer and program doing when doing this? There’s no lag when doing anything else. I can move the nodes and the entire blueprint quickly. The blueprints compile and save quicker than connecting nodes, adding nodes, adding variables, and right clicking to search for nodes. The game and everything else seems to run perfectly.

Just a check, you haven’t limited FPS with a console command?

Generally speaking, I don’t really know exactly what the system is doing when you’re manipulating BPs, but it always knows when you want to add an interface method, or a custom event from another place. So, I’m guessing that it’s looking stuff up the whole time.

If you have one HUMUNGOUS BP, and it has to run through that every time you drag something, it is going to get very slow.

Make sure you don’t have auto save enabled, or make a copy of the project before doing this, but I’m wondering if you delete the level with that mega BP in it, does everything speed up again.

If so, it’s because there’s no decoupling in the project, but we’ll come back to that.

I’ve never used a console command. FPS is set to unlimited. I deleted all nodes in the character and level blueprints. I deleted the character blueprint and entire level. I disabled auto save. It’s like nothing I do can get this project to connect nodes at normal speed like in a new project. To my knowledge I’ve changed no relevant settings. The only add-ons being used are Nvidia DLSS, Meta Humans, and whatever gets the ocean working. I might try to disable the add-ons just to see what would happen, but even then I need the add-ons and permanently disabling them isn’t really a solution if that would even do anything. I don’t know what to do. I also have no idea what decoupling in the project means.

Not sure if this is related at all, but when looking at the actual game environment, editing, and playing the game, I hear the GPU making its electric sounds. However, when going into the menus, other tabs, and editing blueprints, I don’t hear the GPU at all. What’s causing that to happen? Any way to disable that and just keep everything at full power no matter what tab I’m on just to see what happens? Thanks.

edit: I thought disabling ‘Use Less CPU when in Background’ might work, but it did not work. I don’t see any similar option for the GPU. I really have no idea what to do. I’d love to test the project out using a better CPU to see what would happen, but this i9 10900K is all I got.

OK, it’s a bit of a teaser, this…

I’m gonna come back.

1 Like

Reset all options in the Nvidia control panel to defaults.

Do you have a large structure, or dataset, or something that a parent class BP is using, that all other BPs are inheriting from?

I see a few other people having this problem, but no solutions.

Does it work ok after a restart?

I haven’t changed any settings in Nvidia control panel. I’ve restarted the PC many times since this issue started. I don’t know what a large structure, dataset, or parent class blueprint is so there’s probably no other blueprints inheriting from anything like that. One thing to note, I started the project in UE5.1. I cloned the project and switched to it to UE5.2. That had no effect. The issue also persists in both directx11 and directx12. Zero crashes. No errors. Entire project file is 25gb. :thinking:

I meant editor restarts, does that help?

I don’t think I’ve ever restarted the editor. Not sure what that means. Where’s the button for that? Thanks.

You know, you quit the editor, and start it again. That’s all :slight_smile:

Does it gradually get slower and slower, or is it on full slowness from the start?

Does closing and reopening UE not restart it? I’ve done that million times. Here’s some more video. Thanks.

edit: Hovering over Build and Select and Actor and all the things at the top also take time before the menu actually appears. Also, when connecting the variable as seen in the video, one time it actually connects at normal speed. Idk… :sob:

The only thing I can think of is, if you want to zip the project folder up, and put it somewhere I can download it, I’ll take a look.

But apart from that I’m stumped.

You can PM the link if you want.

Will Google Drive work?

Yup.

The zipped project file is 15,925,569,712 bytes, but my Google Drive has a 15gb limit. I don’t know how else to send a 15.9gb file.