Windows Mixed Reality HMD shutter lag after 5.2 Update

Hi,
we are testing VR template project with the current UE 5.2.1 and have found that while using HP Rewerb G2 headset with Windows Mixed Reality as runtime there is very noticable lag in the HMD view even when fps is maintained at 90 and the HMD tracing is jittery jumping back and forth.
Going back to 5.1.1 solves this.

This seems to have beed discussed already here but it doesnt provide a solution, rather a workaround using SteamVR as XR Runtime and the thread has beed closed without bug report:

Specs:

Windous 11 Pro
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
RTX 3060
32 GB DDR4 Ram

UE ver: 5.2.1
Project: VR Template (No changes to project settings or scene)

1 Like

I am experimenting the same issue. Tested if its still present in the new 5.3P in default Virtual Reality template project and its still there. Falling back to 5.1 or using SteamVR instead of WMR seem to be the only workarounds for now but that is not optimal as Steam VR has its own issues with WMR headsets.

Maybe @VictorLerp cold help.

It would seem that it’s an issue w. the runtime, as we haven’t received any reports of it happening w. SteamVR or Oculus w. 5.2+. I unfortunately don’t have anything useful to share, but I’ll update this thread if something is discovered.

Hello! Have you found any solution to this? I’m experiencing the same issues with my HP reverb 2 and Unreal engine editor and can’t figure out how to solve this. Everything else runs smooth except the unreal engine vr editor.

Unfortunately no, but steamVR has been updated recently and works quite well now with G2.

1 Like

@VictorLerp Is there anything we can do to get developer eyes on this issue?

I can rule out AA, Post Processing, FPS, and hardware issues as I’ve been testing builds with each headset in our lab and the issue is only present on the WMR based platform. (Our test scene renders at 4.2-4.4ms per frame so it’s not FPS or 1% low issues.)

As for the previously mentioned “solution” (workaround) of forcing SteamVR, that’s workable in a lab, but one can’t expect every VR customer to force their runtime to a specific OpenXR implementation.

As Windows Mixed Reality has been discontinued by Microsoft, it’s unlikely they’ll provide a fix for this issue. We’re no longer testing w. WMR and in general we don’t provide runtime-specific fixes that can’t be reproduced with other compliant runtimes.

I understand Epic’s stance (to a degree), but I wouldn’t lay the blame solely on the M$ runtime. Our lab develops content using several COTS & proprietary engines for professional clientele, and the UE5.x product line is the only one with the added latency.

I’ve been trying to determine if it shows up in a finalized shipping build too, but the UAT is refusing to generate a packaged shipping build for me right now so I can’t validate just yet…