Windows Mixed Reality HMD camera lag after update to UE 5.2

Hi all,

after updating to UE 5.2 I’ve experienced hmd camera lag of circa 50ms, quite noticeable, also the tracking is a tiny bit jittery. Seems like UE is not reading the correct tracking datastream, or it’s updating on the wrong tick, or updating twice somehow.

This happens in the vanilla Virtual Reality content example.
I’m on Win10. Hardware: AMD Ryzen 24 core, RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Any thoughts or fixes?
Greetings,
Christoph

Do you happen to have OpenXR Toolkit running? I found with 5.2, and using the same headset (Reverb G2) that having OpenXR Toolkit enabled causes weird camera performance issues. Try disabling OpenXR Toolkit in the companion app if you happen to have it enabled.

I already reached out to the creator of OpenXR Toolkit about it as well.

2 Likes

For me, I worked around the issue using GitHub - maluoi/openxr-explorer: A cross-platform OpenXR capabilities explorer and runtime switcher with a CLI and GUI. to force my setup to use SteamVR’s OpenXR implementation and it works just fine now. Using WMR’s has the above mentioned issues.

Not an issue for me since I intend to use steam on the backend either way but worth noting for anyone else doing WMR stuff, latest version is messed up it seems.

1 Like

No I did not have it running afaik. Currently no access to computer, will check next week. Thanks though!

I did the same thing by manually setting the OpenXR runtime in regedit, the key is
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1

It points to a JSON file which has all the runtime details:

WMR
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MixedRealityRuntime.json

SteamVR
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\steamxr_win64.json

Setting it to Steam and using SteamVR is working. Thanks for confirming the current issue with WMR.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.