Windows Mixed Reality HMD camera lag after update to UE 5.2

Hello,

I’m quite new to UE5 and VR. I started with UE 5.1 and plaedy around with the VR starter scene. Everything worked fine, until I upgraded to UE 5.2.

With UE5.2 (and still with 5.3) now even a fresh VR starter scene has a serious camera lag and I get motion sick after few minutes. (I could normally do hours of VR without a problem).

I’m using a Samsung Odyssey+ Windows Mixed Reality Headset. I found someone with the same problem in the forum in this post:

Forum post

I’ve tried the suggested solution to switch openXR to SteamVR like described. This worked and fixed the lag problem. But as soon as the headset enters standby (which is necessary to avoid OLED burn in on this headset), UE5 crashes completely.

So UE 5.2 and UE 5.3 are basically unusable for me right now. Any idea to solve the issue?

I can hardly be the only one using a WMR headset with UE5. Are there installations with WMR headsets that work without the camera lag?

I’m experiencing the same issue since UE5.2. Immense stutter and lag with my WMR headset (HP Reverb G2) with the basic vanilla templates. I’ve got a beefy RX4090 that should run it without problem. I haven’t found a solution yet, unfortunately.

Hello,
good to hear, that I’m not the only one.

I did some more tests. I packaged the unmodified VR demo project with UE 5.1.1 and UE 5.3.3.

I’ve tested both stand alone applications without the UI on two separate PCs:

1. Win 11, 32GB Ram, Intel i7-13700K, RTX 4070TI
  2. Win10, 32 GB Ram, Intel i7-4790K, RTX 2070

Both versions show the same behavior on both PCs:

UE 5.1.1. version runs flawless on both PCs.
UE 5.3 version has camera lags on PC 1) and lags with serious stutters on PC 2)

I think, that Windows Mixed Reality implementation is broken since 5.2 (and nobody seems to care).

I try to issue a bug report.

Have you tried to change the antialising filter? Maybe it’s the TAA or the MSAA, the FXAA seems to work fine.

FXAA didn’t change a thing. Still super jerky. Any other ideas? Using 5.3.2 now and HP Reverb G2 is in a bad way!