Why is grass darker farther away?

My grass looks darker when the camera is farther away from it:

It is instanced using the built in foliage system, and only uses dynamic lighting. Increasing Distance field self shadowing bias to an insane number such as 1,000 or completely disabling distance fields on that mesh has a very small improvement, but it does not seem to be the culprit. Increasing the intensity of my sky light from 1.5 to 3.0 makes the change slightly less noticeable, but also makes the scene way to bright. I have tried completely disabling directional light source, but that does not get rid of the gradient from light to dark. I am using a masked material with the two-sided foliage shading model and it is set to two sided. My normals are pointing straight up aligned with the ground. Here is my material:

When I change my sky light from Movable to Stationary it reduces the contrast from light to dark, but it doesn’t seem like the problem. I have tried tweaking all of these different settings, but the combined effect still doesn’t get rid of the problem. DFAO does not seem to be the problem either. When I use the DFAO visualizer it doesn’t show the change from light to dark.