VR Game Template

Hi, With the new update - 4.7 It seems to have broke the hands locking onto the wheel. I have only been using U4 for a few weeks but I have started with awesome template and could do with working one out.

When stationery the initial hands - on wheel looks like in 4.7

When moving the hands totally detach and go everywhere. may have something to do with the new animation updates in the new build, Has anyone else come across and worked out the problem?

[=Beacon;225698]
Thanks for your reply ! Could you go into some more detail on please? For my purposes, all I need is to A: control the view of the player with the analog stick of a controller, I don’t need any player movement at all, and B: control the view of the player with the Rift, so full head-tracking - again, no actual movement.

Thanks!
[/]

Alright lets get into it, first of all i’ll be using a blank project in 4.7, it seems epic has changed the Pawn rotation thing in 4.7 so it no longer disables rift rotation (not a big deal because we can work around that).
OK,

1. you’ll need 4 blueprints
    73d4af7bdd32d1653751a0830da69c12e351b1ac.jpeg
  • a Character(feel free to use a Pawn here instead I used a character because if you ever do want to movement it will be easier way)
  • a Game Mode
  • a Player Camera Manager
  • a Player Controller
  1. Open up the character and set up the looking input(note the mouse Y defaults to inverse controls for Pitch so X -1 sets it to what most games default at)
    f01eee27396dd147a8bb4c97bb767f999993e33d.jpeg

2. Set up the defaults for the Character to use the Pitch(is needed only for rift support)
    Make sure your clicked on self(in 4.7)
    f6cada08ba5d4bdcd5b84ff18271d9fbebe8242d.jpeg
    then enable pitch
    806c25689c86d4b3a072f45ce05a9b8a2cc6e237.jpeg

3. Open up the Player Camera Manager and enable Follow HMD Rotation
    9dda6c2b0861daf843d0449061c515181e9febd9.jpeg

4. Open up the Player Controller and tell it to use the new Player Camera Manager
    RiftPitch06.JPG

5. Open up the Game Mode and tell it to use the New Character And Player controller
    RiftPitch07.JPG

6. Now is the most important step (also the one I forget nearly every time) Use the new game mode

Alright Let me know if works, it did for me, although it might be a bit uncomfortable in VR let me know how it works in your game
thanks

[=vOwl;227677]
Hey , thanks a lot for all the time you invested in the VR template. It’s one of the best resources to learn VR-specific UE4 stuff.
Looking forward to see the v1.0 version of the template on . I checked out the tutorials of your 1.0 interaction demo and it simply adds the “+” to your already amazing work!

Will you keep the ContextMenu in v1.0?
[/]

Yes, and no. the Context menu that is currently in the Template in completely blueprint driven and because of that it’s really hard to expand it and it’s functionality, I’ve been looking in to using UMG but there are a few issues with the 3D support that I spent quite a while trying to fix but am still not quite there yet, I have also started looking into Web UI’s although cool because you have the entire framework and libraries of the web to me getting javascript in and out of the engine is a little tedious also the necessity of javascript in general makes it not great for a “no code” template. So to answer your question Yes there will be a Context Menu, but I’m aiming for it to be expandable to any use outside the template :slight_smile:

[=Swilliams;228593]
Hi, With the new update - 4.7 It seems to have broke the hands locking onto the wheel. I have only been using U4 for a few weeks but I have started with awesome template and could do with working one out.

When stationery the initial hands - on wheel looks like in 4.7

When moving the hands totally detach and go everywhere. may have something to do with the new animation updates in the new build, Has anyone else come across and worked out the problem?

[/]

Interesting, Try rotating the Right Hand and Left Hand Locator in the SpaceShooterPawn

[=;230517]
Interesting, Try rotating the Right Hand and Left Hand Locator in the SpaceShooterPawn
[/]

Thanks, I will give that a try. I have only been using unreal 4 for 2 weeks now and your template has been an awesome building block, Thanks :slight_smile: I will post a video shortly of what I have achieved in short time, or really just a quick test flight as everything seems to be working well. On to AI next.

Rotating both locators 180 degrees does the trick. Both hands leave the steering wheel when accelerating. Accelerating fast moves them out of view behind the player. If stationery the hands are fine and stay attached, or re-attach when stationery after accelerating.

For some reason the hands are not sticking to the steering wheel, just moving away as in the world space when accelerating, not staying attached to the steering wheel. As mentioned above, it must be something that changed in 4.7 with some of the pawn rotation. I have tried a few things, mainly in the shooter pawn, but no luck yet. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks again,

is a video from 4.6 where the hands stay on the wheel.

https://.com/watch?v=RCpk7HfzpFU

I have only been using U4 for 2 weeks and blue prints are my biggest learning curve. I want to move over to 4.7 when i can get the hands staying on the wheel as in vid :slight_smile:

Thanks again for an awesome template, Just one thing i still cant work out is collision. Is the collision in different from the norm (as in other tutorials) I have tried all-sorts and cant get any player collision on static meshes as well as collision on static meshes from weapon fire. If i try a base template such as Ufly then static meshes have plater collision and weapon collision etc.

Here is a vid of 4.7 - Where the hands will not stay attached when accelerating. I tried the base template with 4.7 and get the same results.

https://.com/watch?v=l6eoLP_HfAY

As you can see, when accelerating the hands don’t stay attached to the wheel, but when rotating the wheel when stationery they stay attached. Any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Just noticed that Walk_Modular and Run_Modular animations are slightly cut off at the end. The movement makes a little jerk there. Is specific to the VR template or a problem with the original TPP animations?

Has anybody tried the VR Spaceshooter template in 4.7?

Still having problems with hands staying on wheel when moving forward. On looking into it more - it seems like the hands are are not the problem, as the whole body moves away from the wheel. Anybody any ideas?

Jesus. Had to watch it twice, cuz I was watching the asteroids, anxious you were going to hit one. Sorry I don’t have a solution to your problem. But that looks like it’s going to be a pretty cool game.

I wonder if maybe you need to set it up so that the ship ticks first?

That could be an idea, How would i try that?

[=Swilliams;235978]
That could be an idea, How would i try that?

[/]

Hmmm, I had thought there was something called dependent tick or a way to set an actor to tick before another, but I’m having trouble finding it.

I have tried taking the tick start off the pawn, but that doesnt help. Spent ages looking and trying. I am sure its do do with the anim side of it as all the nodes seem to be working fine.

One more thing i still cant work out is the collision in template? My static meshes and even collision spheres wont take any weapon or player collision, yet in the Ufly template, they do? How does set up work with collision?

[=breese45;234568]
Jesus. Had to watch it twice, cuz I was watching the asteroids, anxious you were going to hit one. Sorry I don’t have a solution to your problem. But that looks like it’s going to be a pretty cool game.
[/]

Still no luck, everything else is moving ahead. Got my DK2 yesterday, Its awesome in VR :slight_smile: Just the hands problem to sort out which is the thing.

https://.com/watch?v=V6XVvEvE8Ho

Has nobody tried the spaceshooterVR template on 4.7?

I noticed in the logs if it helps shine any light on the problem :

[2015.03.06-04.10.04:100][268]LogSkinnedMeshComp:Warning: GetBoneTransform : ParentBoneIndex(0) out of range of MasterPoseComponent->SpaceBases for SkeletalMesh2
[2015.03.06-04.10.04:100][268]LogSkinnedMeshComp:Warning: GetBoneTransform : ParentBoneIndex(1) out of range of MasterPoseComponent->SpaceBases for SkeletalMesh2
[2015.03.06-04.10.04:100][268]LogSkinnedMeshComp:Warning: GetBoneTransform : ParentBoneIndex(2) out of range of MasterPoseComponent->SpaceBases for SkeletalMesh2
[2015.03.06-04.10.04:100][268]LogSkinnedMeshComp:Warning: GetBoneTransform : ParentBoneIndex(3) out of range of MasterPoseComponent->SpaceBases for SkeletalMesh2
[2015.03.06-04.10.04:100][268]LogSkinnedMeshComp:Warning: GetBoneTransform : ParentBoneIndex(4) out of range of MasterPoseComponent->SpaceBases for SkeletalMesh2
[2015.03.06-04.10.04:100][268]LogSkinnedMeshComp:Warning: GetBoneTransform : ParentBoneIndex(5) out of range of MasterPoseComponent->SpaceBases for SkeletalMesh2
[2015.03.06-04.10.04:100][268]LogSkinnedMeshComp:Warning: GetBoneTransform : ParentBoneIndex(48) out of range of MasterPoseComponent->SpaceBases for SkeletalMesh2

I still not able to keep hands attached to wheel since 4.7 - Does anyone know any tutorials for having a setup like before it was broken? Eg. Hands on wheel and positional tracking etc for VR?

Thanks

Ok, so I put a few things into template and got judder pretty quickly. I have 4.7.2 UE4 and SDK 4.4.0 with a GTX770. I tried to change the SP variable in the VR controller blueprint from 100 to 80, but when I go into VR preview it is still 100?? How is value changed if the variable doesn’t it. Also I tried to change the engine scalability settings in the Engine/Config file to some recommended VR settings from an Epic project and the .ini file rewrites itself upon opening unreal editor…

I am really struggling with how to get some performance improvements through settings (understanding that I need to probably remove some dynamic stuff in the project too)

[=Spittygood;244040]
Ok, so I put a few things into template and got judder pretty quickly. I have 4.7.2 UE4 and SDK 4.4.0 with a GTX770. I tried to change the SP variable in the VR controller blueprint from 100 to 80, but when I go into VR preview it is still 100?? How is value changed if the variable doesn’t it. Also I tried to change the engine scalability settings in the Engine/Config file to some recommended VR settings from an Epic project and the .ini file rewrites itself upon opening unreal editor…

I am really struggling with how to get some performance improvements through settings (understanding that I need to probably remove some dynamic stuff in the project too)
[/]

The settings work fine in game, i have also had problems trying to set defaults. Good ones to change for performance are - Effects - I would use 2, and post process probably use 2. Its all physics based so you will need dynamic lighting.

The problem i have come across in 4.7 is the hands staying on the wheel when accelerating. Do you get that problem too?