VR Game Template

[= Capone;200527]
Q and E is for the screen percentage adjustments, I’m asking how to get to specific menu right here;

[/]

Should be the Tab key to open that menu. I think it used to be Enter in an older version of the template, so maybe check that if you downloaded it a while ago.

Can someone tell me which node changes I need to make to allow the player to freely look in all directions with a controller input when using the Rift, and disable head-tracking? Basically I need to emulate a monitor setup, but on the Rift. I would appreciate the help!

is just a guess, but the Y-axis locking and handoff to the tracking camera is done by the engine, not by the VR template.

I’m keen on a controller setup where you can look freely but your direction-of-movement orientation is entirely from the controller, eg. your head is the turret on a tank and pushing forward moves in the direction of the body, not the turret. Has anyone done yet?

[=;208750]
is just a guess, but the Y-axis locking and handoff to the tracking camera is done by the engine, not by the VR template.

I’m keen on a controller setup where you can look freely but your direction-of-movement orientation is entirely from the controller, eg. your head is the turret on a tank and pushing forward moves in the direction of the body, not the turret. Has anyone done yet?
[/]

I would be very surprised if it’s handled by the engine… I fiddled with the Exploration Character Blueprint but I couldn’t achieve the effect I wanted - could anyone with more experience chime in on issue?

Relatedly, I’m also looking for a way to display debug text only on the desktop monitor version of the Direct Mode window, and not on the Rift itself - does anyone know if that’s possible?

I not remember right that template but if you haven’t the camera attached to the head. You must go to the VR Camera Manager and deactivate “Follow HMD Orientation” and your character going to move with the HMD, but there is a problem if you check.

[=;209133]
I not remember right that template but if you haven’t the camera attached to the head. You must go to the VR Camera Manager and deactivate “Follow HMD Orientation” and your character going to move with the HMD, but there is a problem if you check.
[/]

Thanks for the response, but even after disabling ‘Follow HMD Orientation’, the head tracking is still present. From looking at the Exploration Character blueprint, it seems like the camera attached to the head is just a ‘FirstPersonCharacter’, not the VR Camera? I’m not sure how it all works, so here’s a screenshot.

[=Beacon;209157]
Thanks for the response, but even after disabling ‘Follow HMD Orientation’, the head tracking is still present. From looking at the Exploration Character blueprint, it seems like the camera attached to the head is just a ‘FirstPersonCharacter’, not the VR Camera? I’m not sure how it all works, so here’s a screenshot.

[/]

I believe you are think of how other systems do it with having two cameras, which is why they will have two separate builds. One for flat screens, and a second for VR. I believe that UE4 makes the translation itself, thus allowing us to have only one build.

[=Beacon;209114]
I would be very surprised if it’s handled by the engine… I fiddled with the Exploration Character Blueprint but I couldn’t achieve the effect I wanted - could anyone with more experience chime in on issue?

Relatedly, I’m also looking for a way to display debug text only on the desktop monitor version of the Direct Mode window, and not on the Rift itself - does anyone know if that’s possible?
[/]

1. Create empty game template
  2. Add gamepad stick and mouse support
  3. Plug in rift
  4. Y locking ensues

It’s zero of nothing to do with the VR template - it’s an engine function. It can probably be overidden somehow but if it can’t I wouldn’t be surprised either.

[=;209319]

1. Create empty game template
  2. Add gamepad stick and mouse support
  3. Plug in rift
  4. Y locking ensues

It’s zero of nothing to do with the VR template - it’s an engine function. It can probably be overidden somehow but if it can’t I wouldn’t be surprised either.
[/]

Oh, ****, really? That’s problematic :confused:

Yeah, I can see how that would be an issue if you were doing, say, a flight sim where your entire body orientation changes in relation to the world, or even a third person controller.

I found with my third person test that by default the head tracking would let me look around my character (which worked really well!) but the mouse was still vertically locked, which in some cases could be a game breaker. Sure, you can move your head up and down but that’s awkward.

I would say your best bet is to get on twitch during their next stream that answers questions and ask there, or post to answerhub where you might get a developer response.

The 4.7 release has been promising better rift support so now is the time to ask.

[=;209364]
Yeah, I can see how that would be an issue if you were doing, say, a flight sim where your entire body orientation changes in relation to the world, or even a third person controller.

I found with my third person test that by default the head tracking would let me look around my character (which worked really well!) but the mouse was still vertically locked, which in some cases could be a game breaker. Sure, you can move your head up and down but that’s awkward.

I would say your best bet is to get on twitch during their next stream that answers questions and ask there, or post to answerhub where you might get a developer response.

The 4.7 release has been promising better rift support so now is the time to ask.
[/]

Thanks for the ideas! Surely it could be edited in the source code by someone who is capable, as well?

Hey guys, I’ve been trying to solve a few simple interaction problems to no avail, so after much searching, I really wanted to see if anyone could help me out of dark pit. So the VR template uses a a tagging system to trigger highlights (also has visibility toggle for text) and then also a tag for objects that are driven by time. I think I understand all for the most part, but what I can’t figure out is how to modify the system to have an “On Look” event fire when I focus on an object and then an “On Look End” event fire when I stop looking at the object. I tried and tried to work in in various ways, but it never worked 100% proper. The closest I came was replacing some of that functionality with Inspiration from another forum user who created the “Hands Free VR Headtrip” demo. The problem that I was running into was that my events were firing multiple times. I tried to cut off with some branches or do once nodes, but other I just couldn’t get the loop set up properly. Btw, I’m using blueprint interfaces to pass the events from the Player Controller to the Interactive Blueprint object.

I’m guessing I need to toggle a branch with the currently looked at actor being equal to the actor currently focused, but I dunno my logic just keeps failing me.

Player Controller with Trace

Interactive Object

I’ve also included the functions from the Highlight command in the template, but cause I feel like there might be some answers for me there, but I think it’s just a tad over my head.

Highlight Function from the VR Template

Anyhow, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU in advance to anyone who can lend a hand. I’m happy to share some file if that makes things any easier or grab more screen shots. I’ve tried my best to solve it and really learn it, but now I’m just burning night after night and not really learning anything other than how to drink more. :slight_smile:

Hello just wanted to give a quick update and answer a few questions,
First the update I’m hard at work on a personal project but also the VRTemplate V1.0 which is actually a complete overhaul from the ground up, in remaking everything the template will hopefully be a lot easier to understand for new users and a lot smarter in the way it does VR specific things.
In the update I plan on adding in the space sim template as well as the up until now unreleased racing template, plus a few others which I’ll show later in post.

OK now onto questions that it must have seemed like I was neglecting,
First Beacon if I understand you correctly you want to disable head tracking (generally a bad idea due to VR sickness but I know I’ve done worse) one way to do is not use a Character Blueprint and instead use a Pawn, means two things one you’ll have to roll your own input for character movement but it also means that you can roll your own rotation for the rift.

Now pixelvspixel OK so instead of getting into the “dark pit” of your implementation :stuck_out_tongue: ill just give you my (what I think is) working version of interaction from the V1.0 of the template
download and play around with this Template V1.0 Interaction Demo
instead of explaining all of it in the forum i’m trying out Epics Tutorial Blueprints and would love for you to give them a shot and tell me what you think.

just go to ‘help->tutorials->VRT_Interaction’ to play them

Ok now the tease for the other templates I’m working on and will be releasing with the V1.0 release :smiley:

Hi , thanks a ton for the response. Last night/morning I think I finally had an UE4/Blueprint breakthrough and solved a lot of bugs in my project, now walking away with a MUCH better understanding of what I did and why I did it. I’ll surely check out your provided link and let you know. Gearing up for a deadline tomorrow, but if you or anyone is interested in my solve, I was able to finally get with a helpful tutorial on looman’s site. I just had to port of what he was doing to the character controller and add an output on the trace functionality. I was actually able to keep all of your interaction in tact as well!

So, I found my ladder :smiley:

Awesome :slight_smile: Thanks for the template, its a great starting point. I used the space-shooter template, but i have come across one small problem after replacing current fighter mesh with my own. Now it wont move forward, everything else seems to work, so i think it may be something to do with the mesh replacement. When replacing the mesh, is there anything i need to change to relate back to the blueprints that achieve forward velocity?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

I fixed it now, it was something i broke in the blueprints :slight_smile:

, your work is just amazing!! I’m just having some problems in a multiplayer setup, I can’t get the movements of the head and of the shoulders correctly reproduced remotely. Any idea of a possible solution?

[=;211274]
First Beacon if I understand you correctly you want to disable head tracking (generally a bad idea due to VR sickness but I know I’ve done worse) one way to do is not use a Character Blueprint and instead use a Pawn, means two things one you’ll have to roll your own input for character movement but it also means that you can roll your own rotation for the rift.

[/]

Thanks for your reply ! Could you go into some more detail on please? For my purposes, all I need is to A: control the view of the player with the analog stick of a controller, I don’t need any player movement at all, and B: control the view of the player with the Rift, so full head-tracking - again, no actual movement.

Thanks!

hi!

Quick question, did something change with the steering in the last update from ?

The vehicle is now going towards the looking direction, which is undesirable for a racegame…

I am using 0.4.5, and i rather not rebuild on an older version since i spent 30 hours combining template with a gravity gun.

On a side note, i think its awesome how you made the mesh head move along with your real head, things like really help immersion alot!

nice work!

[=;211274]
Now pixelvspixel OK so instead of getting into the “dark pit” of your implementation :stuck_out_tongue: ill just give you my (what I think is) working version of interaction from the V1.0 of the template
download and play around with this Template V1.0 Interaction Demo
instead of explaining all of it in the forum i’m trying out Epics Tutorial Blueprints and would love for you to give them a shot and tell me what you think.
[/]

Hey , thanks a lot for all the time you invested in the VR template. It’s one of the best resources to learn VR-specific UE4 stuff.
Looking forward to see the v1.0 version of the template on . I checked out the tutorials of your 1.0 interaction demo and it simply adds the “+” to your already amazing work!

Will you keep the ContextMenu in v1.0?