VR Expansion Plugin

Pushed a new commit to the plugin, one has some migration requirements as noted here:
https://bitbucket.org//vre…18%20Migration

Template changes

Template updated to correct BP compilation errors due to the plugin changes below.

Also made some slight optimizations in the DropAllGrips function due to a new BP node (GetAllGrips).

Plugin changes

Updated documentation comments plugin wide so that auto generation and tooltips are both
more useful.

Changed name of grip array in source to GrippedObjects instead of Gripped Actors.
The original name was a holdover from the very early days of the plugin.

Migrating to  version will require change to the new name where it is used in blueprints and source.

Sorry for the hassle but I had to do it at some point and 4.19 is going to be heavy.

Added function void GetAllGrips(TArray<FBPActorGripInformation> &GripArray).
Returns a consolated list of grip structures, useful for avoiding checking local
and normal grip arrays seperately.

GetGrippedActors/Components/Objects nodes converted to BluePrintPure (no longer have execution pins).
They didn't need to be executable. Depending on what you use them for you may need to alter blueprints
that were using them.

PostTeleportMoveGrippedActors renamed to PostTeleportMoveGrippedObjects, you will have to replace
the nodes / functions where you used them (if you did, template does not).

Added Axis_Z and Axis_XZ options to the lever (another SpaceHarry pull request)
Axis_XZ may require further edits to get working perfectly.

Edit Pre-packaged won’t be uploaded for a couple of hours as I can’t start them yet

Also I would like people to note the new wiki section: Migration Guides

Re Edit Precompiled binaries are out, also pushed a minor fix for a naming conflict from last commit.

I fussed about with these steam functions you’ve exposed, but it looks like they don’t provide a way to get rid of those circular grid lines. I’ll just switch my approach to try and make the grid lines make sense for the experience. Thanks for suggesting the SetSuspendRendering. It does make the transitions much cleaner.

Updated the template to clean up the gameplay tag usage a bit, it actually required extending the GameplayTag functionality in engine as well to get working correctly. (new commit to the plugin adds , but its not a big deal unless you use new template version).

The new GripDropOrUseObject node looks like below, I am calling the new one from the old one so that hopefully it will remain backwards compatible for now for people.

https://i.imgur.com/kh6vcET.png

Edit The functionality I needed for from gameplay tags is entirely missing both in c++ and blueprint currently, I am considering cleaning it up, expanding it, and pull requesting it to the engine itself eventually. If that happens the node names for the new gameplay tag functions would likely change at some point.

Due to a request that made me realize I had never gotten around to it yet.

Added Secondary grip Use and EndUse options to the template. Its always functioned in the plugin but I never hooked them up in the example content.

Thanks for update. Example project is compatible with 4.18? I get an error trying to compile plugins (I’ve downloaded latest plugin versions and example project)

Is there a way i can set up a unique finger position for different items?

However you want to do it…yes

I don’t have seperate hand animations and that is kind of a gameplay thing so its not already built in. Can be a generic system but there are so many ways to set it up and depending on what you want out of it some are better than others.

Pushed a new commit to the plugin and template today

Plugin:

Added GripPriority setting to AdvancedGripSettings, lets you perform logic on the priority of
something using the interface.
Could also be used to sort through currently held items. 

Template:

Converted grip trace/overlap to an array check and a MultiSphere trace. It now loops through all
hit / overlapped components and checks for if they are grippable and if so, if they have a higher grip priority
than the last.  lets you use the new grip priority setting and also makes grip detection more powerful.

It also always prioritizes gripping something over climbing on something.

The old method just took the first detected object (closest one) and went with it.

so much fun new features :slight_smile: Little question, the car in your example template does not work, is that something with my settings, or do i miss something?

Dear Modentral
Good evening. thanks for keeping updated the plugin and as always its amaizing

I am here to ask for a feature request for architectural visualization, what i am expecting is a spray paint can like in the video link attached

Regards

No, its working?

What are you having problems with?

Edit If you are trying to use it in 2D you need to use the keyboard, i mapped to input in 2D. In VR you use the lever and wheel.

The newest updates are so great! The gameplay tag system is a fantastic idea for implementing all the grip and use combinations! Just spent a few days updating a project from 4.14 to 4.18 and there are so many great VRExpansion editions! Returned to find the plugin has had large updates again! But the new migration guide is very, very helpful! Such a great plugin dude!!

Using the latest version of the plugin (downloaded 10 minutes ago from Master Branch), it says Version 4.17 in the Editor’s Plugins menu.

Maybe it’s not an issue, and even if it were it’s no big deal, but just thought I’d point it out because it’s a bit misleading.

Thanks, forgot to update the uplugin files, its fixed now. Doesn’t effect how it compiles any, but nice to keep the value current.

Anyone know why the procedural meshes would spawn in instead of my hand meshes? I can totally bypass the issue by just disconnecting the Event Possessed in the OpenVR section, but I’m worried that might cause other problems. I had a bunch of problems in 4.17.2 and it was disconnected there…

hmm weird, i tiried it again, but its not working pulling the lever. The car is not moving! (using the vive)

Its in the character i default to the procedural meshes. You can disconnect the Sequence pin going to spawn them to remove it.

In 4.19 all motion controllers by default have the capability to create their meshes, so I am likely going to entirely remove all of that anyway.

Pushed a minor update today, keeping things to light bugfixes until 4.19 because its going to require so many changes

Fixed bWalkingCollisionOverride in multiplayer with the new movement system

Also added another null set to the RootComponent to ensure parity

Hi! I’m trying to use plugin and am following the installation guide. However, when I get to the point where I need to generate a Visual Studio file, I’m having trouble. I can generate Visual Studio files for my own projects, but I can’t generate them for the downloaded plugin files. Unreal won’t open them despite them being labelled as .uproject files, as well. I can’t find Unreal as an option to open it unless I go to the installation folder and even then the icon is a black Unreal icon instead of the blue one on my projects which I can generate Visual Studio files for. Any advice for me on installing the plugin? I’m using Visual Studio 2017, but I also have 2013 and 2015 installed. Also, I’ve been using 1.17.2 for Unreal, but I downloaded the latest version today in an attempt to fix issue to no avail.

The plugin itself isn’t a uproject, it just goes in your projects plugins folder and when you generate the project files for your project it will include the plugin as well.

If you want the “project” version then you’ll have to download the template project instead.