VR Expansion Plugin

Thanks a lot for the info on procedural meshes.

@
The step-by-step is mainly for adding the plugin to a project; though the last bit of it does apply to building the VRExpTemplate. I’ll pm you to get it working.

Sorry, man I messed up on the (Edit) first ss of the tutorial. It says the VRExpPlugin only works on 4.12 ~ 4.16. It should be “4.12 and later”. I hope people aren’t stopping there…

Btw, grip priority is an awesome setting.

Plugin suggestion: would it be possible to make a decal climbable? maybe that’s a bad idea, but without thinking too much about it it seems it’d be really easy to implement specific climbable areas in a level via decal, rather than using static meshes that are marked climbable. I bet you already came up with a better way than that though, hehe.

Sorry, i did something wrong, it does work :slight_smile:

Question: I will start another project, and thinking about it to use your format. I just completed a project in 4.16 and that worked fine. But now i have to descide to start with 4.18,… or wait till 4.19.
I know 4.18 is full of problems, and now you tell it too :slight_smile: i will have to descide within one month, till end of january

I don’t need a “project” version, but I do need to be able to generate the Visual Studio files, right? That isn’t working.

You generate them from your project, plugins don’t have their own solution files.

If your project isn’t source based you will either need to add a source file to it so that it has the required files for compilation (engine generates them then), or use the pre-compiled binary releases.

I’ve had more editor crashing than normal in 4.18 but it hasn’t been terrible.

I am just holding off on large feature additions until after 4.19 because they changed large areas of the engine that my plugin uses and it is going to be a longer migration than normal, I don’t want to be trying to finish new features and porting to 4.19 at the same time.

Yeah, I’ve been having a lot of crashes in the VR Preview mode since 4.18. I can’t really tell if it’s my code or bugs in the engine… But I hope it becomes more stable.

Hi guys. I’m currently looking into throwing dead corpses around in VR. I was thinking that the grippableSkeletalMesh would be perfect for , just make a ragdoll and good to go! However, it seems isn’t the case. When i make my ragdoll a grippable skeletal mesh, I can pick it up, but only by the root bone. I was hoping to be able to whip him around by the legs. Any idea if i’m missing something simple or if just isn’t possible the way i’m trying to do it?

Which grip type are you using? It would have to be a physical grip (interactive or manipulation grip) in order to grip the simulating body. Otherwise you are just holding the component itself, the physical grips use Physics constraints.

Regardless the physics constraint also works off of the global pose of the actor so I doubt seperate bone gripping would work as is anyway, would take some custom setup (as in I would have to start passing in the bone name to the constraint creation).

I’ll mark it as something to get around to, its not something that should be defaulted to always be used as generally you want to grip the root body only so i’ll have to figure out the best method to flag it.

Normally I would consider myself a somewhat intelligent person (sort of…) but I CANNOT get any of to migrate into my project. I have read the documentation and got Vs2017. Just cant make it work.

What part are you stuck on?

was made a year and a half ago, how is the replication in not standard for UE4 by now?

Managed to get the plugins to import… VS2017 didnt have C++ installed.

Im such a noob though that Im not even sure how to spawn a pawn in haha. Want my player to have touchpad locomotion. Much reading for me.

allright, clear, thanks for the reply! I will use your plugin for my new project. Looking allready forward to start with it the coming months, like your template a lot allready!

Sorry to bump and apologies in advance if is a stupid question.
Is it possible to make surfaces climbable via material? Or surfaces within a decal actor’s projection volume climbable?

In short, I was wondering if there’s already a way to make a surface climbable based on appearance alone.

I would use a physical material, in the CanObjectBeClimbed function you can check the physics material surface type of the object for whatever you want and allow / disallow climbing based on that.

IE: Allow climbing on wood / metal, disallow on glass, or however you want to set it up.

If you literally wanted it to be based on something like “only climb on the color green”, you’d have to get more involved.

Wait, I think I am using the pre-compiled binary releases. Is there a different step-by-step guide for those?

Not currently no, you should be able to pick and place in the plugins folder and launch…that is assuming you have the same engine version.

Oh, yeah, that was simple. Okay, it’s installed! Any recommended documentation/tutorials for using the plug-in? I’m just going through your videos and thread right now.

Example template is the best tutorial, but it also implements nearly everything so it is a bit cluttered.

No real “starting fresh” tutorials right now, its something I would like to get to but just updating the plugin takes most of my free time.

https://bitbucket.org//vrexpansionplugin/wiki/Home

Wiki has what documentation I do have

Pushed an update to the repositories tonight

Climbing no longer hitches on using it  
 and dropping it right away while standing on the floor  

Added 2.15f Z offset to VRRootCapsule by default to sink everything else (tracked objects) into the ground  
 a little bit and counteract the walking hover.  

Adding the walking hover to falling mode (checking for floor during falling).  
  removes most of the hitching when walking off of objects and entering into  
 falling directly out of climbing. ( appears to have been an Epic Games Bug  
 as it appears in all of their games using a character and in thier templates).  

Zeroing out the velocity of the character if an auto step up is performed.  
  keeps custom step up movement modes from receiving the last known movement  
 velocity.