VR Expansion Plugin

anyone tried to run VRExpExample in UE4.27.0?
the OculusQuest2’s joysticks not work…both thumbstick and buttons…

The example is on OpenXR now as of 4.27, if your inputs aren’t working make sure that Oculus is set to the openXR target in the oculus app (if linked). It can default to steam and steam isn’t currently passing through openXR to oculus correctly.

thanks, is the specification in Oculus new doc? i’ll search it right now.

how to set please? there is not option the mu oculus app on andriod mobile phone.

Are you using it linked or standalone? stand alone shouldn’t have the steam issue, linked its in the PC app under beta.

It’s in the windows app, using link cable or air link.

ok, thanks. is the only way ?

do i need to install ? https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/oculus-developer-hub-win/

and as it’s windows app, where is it? here? https://www.oculus.com/setup/

I was actually mostly curious if it fixed your problem since I didn’t have input issues before I did that (I had rendering issues).

And I don’t think there is a direct way to force it to choose one runtime over the other currently as it appears to be a registry key or in each app itself (steamvr also has an oculus runtime switch in it, not just the oculus app).

standalone. just link Quest2 to PC while developing, and i’m used to Launch/AdvancedLaunch app in UE editor most time, only sometimes Packge it.

so where can i find the Windows app installer for Quest2 you both mentioned?
for UE4.26.2, also didnot Launch the VRExp example by all default, and it works fine.
just upgraded to UE4.27.0, the joysticks thumbstick and buttons not work…very werid…but the vr-hands’ location and rotation works OK while waving the joysticks.
Thanks!

4.26 wasn’t using openXR.

and the oculus software on your computer that the linked runs through…

I have a few people reporting input not working, and getting an error message in the engines openXR input file, but its hard for me to personally debug it since its working fine for me and its an engine issue. I’m looking over it with them about if its the legacy cosmos mappings, deleting them may fix it.

Edit Looks like its the X button on the touch controller throwing openXR errors, UE4 is creating the bindings pathway for it incorrectly. I guess for now i’ll have to find another button to map and report it. I’ve set the alternate grip button for touch to the thumbstick click for now until the bug can be fixed.

didnot intall any software, just Launch or Package in UE editor for the Quest2 app…and UE4.26.2 works fine.
use Oculus App in mobilePhone to open the DevMode of the Quest2

cosmos?

i’ll pull the repo and try.

is right?

Only if you don’t want openXR anymore, you would have to position the hands back to the old 4.26 templates version if you wanted to go back to platform specific modules again.

You can upgrade the 4.26 template to 4.27 though without any issues.

Recordered a new informational video of the hand socket components.

2 Likes

Wanted to make a note to people not in the discord, 4.27 still has some openXR bugs that you may run into on the new OpenXR based example template.

Specifically oculus has some binding issues around the X button (losing all input) and some engine crashes in openXR (though I haven’t had the crashes, others have).

Also if trying to use quest linked you should go into the desktop oculus app and the beta settings and set it to be the default openXR runtime (there is a button for that), steamVR isn’t currently passing openXR through to the oculus runtime correctly and its causing issues.

1 Like

For the vr multiplayer portion of the plugin there is not much documentation or examples, i have downloaded the binaries of the UE4.26 version of the plugin and the project compiled just fine, but when it can to the example project, it no longer works out of the box,.

1. it took 6 hours for it to compile in VS. and when it finally compiles I got errors.
  2. I just wanted to see how the blueprints and code was setup and i ended up having to copy and paste the content folder of the example project into my project, it was accepted just fine, but I was completely lost.
  3. i can not package or launch anything (i tried both targeted platforms Desktop and Mobile)

im out of ideas but here is the output log and a screen shot of the errors

vrexpansionOutputLog.txt (272.3 KB)

You compiled the engine somehow, not the project itself. You should be making sure that you have the project as the target (right clicking it and select make startup project) if you somehow switched it.

Those source files aren’t in my plugin, or even referenced by it.

As for multiplayer, there is really only a few caveats towards using it, its covered in brief in each relavant section (charcter, gripping) but no full comprehensive tutorial currently no (since template implements it). I will agree I should make a brief of the concepts for it, its not too complicated for how the plugin handles multiplayer as it leaves the general logistics up to the end user.

How can I download a scene with an example for version 4.26?

https://github.com//VRExpPluginExample

download the 4.26-Locked branch of that repository

1 Like

Compiled list of recent fixes/changes:

https://vreue4.com/4-27-patch-notes?section=chaos-and-hand-fixes-09-24-21

Hi , we’re porting our project to PS4.
Any tips/best practices to set camera height to a fixed height minimizing the impact on the actual project?

Changing the relative position of the net smoother component causes controller components and parent relative attachment component to be above the camera.

Should we flag ‘use feet location’ for parent relative attachment and ‘offset by hmd’ for controllers components to fix it? is the right way?

Im going to assume that you aren’t actually using the camera in the character then? Because that shift upwards as well.

Regardless you are free to insert proxy scene components into the character architecture (on begin play or construction) and re-attach objects to the new proxies, to let you move them separately easier. However from what I have heard from others using ps4vr they haven’t had to do any of that.