VR Expansion Plugin

www.vreue4.com has a link to the discord at the top of the site. Check your mappings in steam in case the engine never actually bound them.

1 Like

Posted the most recent compiled list of plugin changes:

https://vreue4.com/4-26-patch-notes?section=hand-socket-changes-08-05-2021

is there any automatic way to change all the Blurprint in the VRExp example to C++ code?

Nativization somewhat, but you would be better off ground up implementing since you will not need all of the examples. That is why it is an example project in the first place.

Hey . Could you elaborate a bit on the OpenXR version? Is there already a rough ETA, and will all functionality be fully ported?

OpenXR is fairly straight forward, it has no effect on the plugins functionality, it just required a couple of replacement classes for Controller type and replicated hand animation.

The porting will come down to people removing unused VR module specific nodes / code (like the steamvr specific stuff) and converting to OpenXR’s tracking being universal by default at the palm position instead of each controllers tip.

The 4.27 example template has been ported already and is default openXR going forward, 4.27 is the first openXR shipping ready engine build.

There is no ETA on the plugin as the plugin has always been fully compatible, just those additional OpenXR functions were recently added to smooth things out.

1 Like

Hey there,

I’m trying to compile the plugin for UE5, but I’m seeing two errors:

Error Unrecognized type ‘TObjectPtr’ - type must be a UCLASS, USTRUCT or UENUM
(in \Source\VRExpansionPlugin\Public\VRBPDatatypes.h 99)

and

Warning: Plugin ‘VRExpansionPlugin’ does not list plugin ‘PhysXVehicles’ as a dependency, but module ‘VRExpansionPlugin’ depends on ‘PhysXVehicles’.

Do you maybe have any ideas on how to handle these?

Sounds like you are trying to compile the ue5 source for a ue4 binary. TObjectPtr is new to ue5 and doesn’t exist in ue4, and physxvehicles is only included when physx is enabled (which is gone in ue5).

Check the project engine version that is set.

Master branch is now 4.27, binaries will be up shortly.

4.27 migration notes and patch notes here: 4.27 Patch Notes – VR Expansion Plugin

2 Likes

A couple of hours after release, what a king

Help casting to Vive_PawnCharacter using the On Gripped event for grippable static mesh!

I’m able to cast to Vive_PawnCharacter no problem if I use the Event ActorBeginOverlap because I can just drag the object pin into the cast object node and it works. However the On Gripped event doesn’t have node… can someone walk me through creating an actor object reference to the Vive_PawnCharacter that I could pull from. Perhaps if I put it in the game instance, then pull from there? A bit new at … thanks!

(I added a text render in the Vive PawnCharacter that I trigger to show as visible or not in the field of view depending on certain conditions)

GrippingController->GetOwner->Cast to the character

Amazing! Thank you! worked! I thought I understood casting ok… I’ve got a ways to go lol…

Is there a setting to make the hands animate closed when you grip away from anything grippable / grip in mid air?

Not automatically, but its a simple pass through for the animbp.

I build the example got from github , there are some error:

How I fix it ?tks

You downloaded the 4.27 (master) branch instead of the 4.26-Locked branch (I assume 4.26).

ok, I will try the 4.26 , tks

Hey, i used the plugin in the 5.0 version, only the plugin, not the Template, all in c++. I have a problem with the grip system.
When i call GripObject function, it’s return true. But the object isn’t gripped.

But if i keep moving the character, it’s gripped well. I tried to debug by myself, but i don’t see where the function treat my collision as sweep.

Any suggestion here?

The collision is fine, i pretty sure is a simple bool but not sure where is it. :frowning:

Not the plugin, sounds like Chaos’s issues with sleeping objects not being able to wake up correctly.
Its why I have been telling people not to try and dev with physics in ue5, the chaos version on it seems worse / older than the 4.26 chaos branch (which fixed that issue).

You can bring another simulating object over near it (not even touching) and it will wake back up as its considered for interaction again.

Any non physical grip should function fine, but yeah, any time a simulating object comes to rest with ue5 chaos currently its going to stay at rest unless forced to wake up.

1 Like