Unreal keeps getting crashed while rendering

Hey all, I’m working on a personal project in UE 5.3.2 using my PC with R7 3700x and RTX 2060 6GB. I’m trying to render out the scene but the software keeps getting crashed even if I reduce the resolution to 1080p and format to jpg. The error shown in the log is as follows:

Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\GenericPlatform\GenericPlatformMemory.cpp] [Line: 251] Ran out of memory allocating 67108864 bytes with alignment 0. Last error msg: The paging file is too small for this operation to complete…

UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Please help me fix this and get my renders for my portfolio. Thanks!

hi @alifashf

You need to create a big pagefile.sys as described in past post

Install a much larger pagefile.sys use 64 GB

larger pagefile is just a shoddy solution to gain more fake ram. it works but is actually slow if you really stress it. you’d have to install more actual ram.

Greetings @alifashf

Welcome to the Unreal Engine Community Forum. That error is showing that you’re running out of memory. What are your current PC specs in terms of RAM and storage space?

Hi @FrostyJas I have a 32 GB and 2TB HDD + 500GB SSD. UE is installed to the SSD and the project files are in SDD. Can this error be related to the RAM or the VRAM? Because just before UE shows this error log, there appears a dialogue box which says something about having not enough video memory, but the box dissappears in a second!

@glitchered Can this error be related to the RAM or the VRAM? I have a 32GB RAM and 6GB VRAM. I have noticed that just before UE shows this error log, there appears a dialogue box which says something about having not enough video memory, but the box disappears in a second!

very likely the vram is the issue. depending how loaded your scene is, 6 GB may not be enough to render it. the path tracer adds additional memory requirements for the acceleration structures and more rays to fire.

1 Like

It’s likely caused by the lack of memory in your GPU. Unfortunately you might need to upgrade it, modify the scene to be optimized for your hardware or rent a render server where you can render your scene on.

I suggest you turn off features like Path Tracing to see if that makes a difference. Alternatively you could try to port the entire project to a new blank project, but unfortunately this isn’t likely going to solve it for you.

It absolutely can be caused by VRAM and as Elias mentioned, that is the most likely culprit. The GPU may not be sufficient to render it.

i might wanna add: if the scene runs in engine without issues you could render it using the normal engine renderer, not the path tracer. it will look like the viewport, but should manage to output frames.