Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost AGAIN AND AGAIN

Hi all. Been dealing with this one for a while. Please see this threadfor an aggregation of information on it.

I’ve had these issues on multiple machines, on integrated graphics and an Nvidia GTX Titan Xp via eGPU… before and after rebuilding and clean installing Windows 10, and for me they only started after the Windows 10 May 2004 Update (2020).

Strangely, my issues disappear after disabling “auto-hide the taskbar” in Windows settings. Many others report tricks around resizing the windows, that OBS or Gyazo GIF screen capture overlays temporarily pause the issue from occurring… and there are reports around the way Desktop Window Manager works, including this early report from 2016 around how the composite windows are handled. This is when most of the D3DRHI device lost/hung/removed errors started appearing (in 2016), alongside graphics cards timeouts which suggested modifying TDRDelay or updating/rolling back graphics card drivers or downclocking graphics cards as a fix. I have tried everything. Disabling auto-hide the taskbar is the only thing that has helped for the time being.

I am now convinced that this issue is related to Microsoft Windows’ Desktop Window Manager, and how Unreal Engine implements it. We need to combine forces into one giant bug report for Epic, and one giant Microsoft Feedback Hub issue to get some support from Epic and Microsoft to fix these issues which have been around embarrassingly for 4 years.

Recently, with the GTX Titan Xp eGPU, I’ve found that when alt+tabbed out of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, it’s interacting with Blender and disabling some functionality which relies on window overlays. The mouse cursor still activates the menu tiles in the game (I can hear the sounds)… even when it is switched out of context (while I’m in Blender or other apps). I have also had issues with my integrated graphics crashing (with a timeout or crash of Intel graphics drivers, leading to application hang) while using Blender.

The problem here is Desktop Window Manager, and with how that’s being implemented. I will confidently assert that the graphics cards, graphics drivers are the symptom and not the cause. How can we get Epic and Microsoft to look at this? Stopgap solutions in the time-being have rendered things usable again… but it’s extremely frustrating after months (and perhaps years for some).

Also another recent report.

If we want to get some developer support, let’s please make some noise by upvoting the following threads:

Upvote UE Answer Hub: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/972982/frequent-crashing-and-multiple-d3d11rhi-directx11.html
Upvote Microsoft Feedback Hub: Windows Insider
I am also submitting the latest e.g. this forum thread here via email to Intel Support.
Also, UE Bug Submission Form is still not working @Amanda.Schade. I have messaged you on numerous posts, asking about this, including this one with details on what’s broken.

Same error just now, this time on DirectX11, and with eGPU + GTX Titan Xp connected. Seems hardware independent… Notably, though, this crash happened with HDR turned on in Windows Settings which has caused flickering issues when running over Thunderbolt with an eGPU

Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Windows/D3D11RHI/Private/D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x0 - 'S_OK')

I’ve been dealing with this since Ark Survival updated on Steam the end of July 2020. I’ve attempted everything out there that I can find so far. Right when I think it’s working, it freezes up and gives the same error report. The text file gives the same title as everyone else, however, the dump file ALWAYS points to unrealengine_repacketizer, which from what I can tell has to do with audio.

I’m guessing since it works for most people that the UE devs aren’t going to care all that much that others can’t play any UE games.

Yes this worked for me, thansk!

For those still having these crashes on Windows,
open your ProjectFolder/Config/DefaultEngine.ini file and add these lines to the end of file.

See if this helps, in theory this should make the engine avoid the code path in c++ that happens to throw the exception that causes that crash:

[/Script/WindowsTargetPlatform.WindowsTargetSettings]
DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX11
+TargetedRHIs=PCD3D_SM5
-TargetedRHIs=PCD3D_SM4
-TargetedRHIs=GLSL_430
-TargetedRHIs=GLSL_150

Today I was testing a secondary rig, freshly built and I saw this crash on that machine.
I’m going to post what I did here, might help as well…

I don’t know why, maybe has to do with Slate C++ API, I don’t know;
But I immediately felt the Editor sluggish when opened and as soon I click “Editor Settings…” main menu, I got a crash.
And then every time I launch Unreal Editor on that machine, this crash would happen again.

I left aside for a while and setup some Adobe applications, but after I’ve enabled these settings for the Adobe apps and later launched Unreal Editor again, there was no more UI lag neither it was crashing anymore. Slate started to react in real time, like I’m used to on my main PC which also has HDR display.
These are from Windows Settings >> System >> Display >> Graphics settings panel.
You could try too, see if helps:

No RHI crashes on new machine anymore, few hours in already.

Which NVIDIA driver version are you on - the newest 461.09 ones?

I built a new gaming rig this new year (10900k, Gigabyte 3090 RTX) and am getting this hang with it. Never had problems like this before and it’s the weirdest thing ever. It’s easy to recreate just by maximising the editor (screen has no start bar, that’s on another window) and then clicking the File menu and running the mouse between the next three menus and back. It feels sluggish as you mention, and eventually hangs the whole GPU after a few seconds. I have to win key + shift + ctrl + b to fix becayse if I leave it how it is it eventually crashes with this:

and then it’s a 50/50 chance of my computer either locking up, or having a BSOD with a somewhat-random message (IRQ less of EQ, Video scheduling, etc.)

Reliability history in Security & Maintenance shows these for each occurrence:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 1a8
Parameter 1: 1
Parameter 2: 0
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19042
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

I tried turning on the scheduling option you mention but that actually completely broke my rig (started getting BSODs in raytracing apps) and I had to reformat. I don’t have HDR so can’t try the second option.

The weird thing I’ve found after investigating:

• Seems to be the UI causing the hang and not the actual game. It’s when interacting with menus, buttons, etc.
  • Only happens when the editor is full-screen (no start bar). If the editor is not maximised and I do this, no hang and it doesn’t feel sluggish,
  • Only happens on that one (4k native) monitor, even if the monitor is not set as the main screen. If I try this on other monitors it’s not sluggish and doesn’t hang.
  • Only happens when plugging this monitor in via DP rather than HDMI. On HDMI it’s fine. Not sluggish and doesn’t hang,
  • Happens with any UE4 window. For example, if I put the UE editor on a screen that doesn’t suffer from this problem and put the blueprint editor on the main screen full-sized, it suddenly feels sluggish and UE hangs/RHI crashes.
  • Only happens for me on 461.09. 460.89 is fine - again - not sluggish and doesn’t hang
  • At one point I had it fixed by turning off scaling in the NVIDIA control panel, but that doesn’t seem to fix it now.
  • I didn’t encounter this on my previous machine in an identical setup (same monitors, etc.). That machine was on w10 1909, though.

I was hoping it was an nvidia driver issue, but based on the fact some of these posts have identical issues back in April/May (and I’ve found many more on the internet googling that LiveKernelEvent and the crash. Feels like this is related to Slate acting badly with the w10 2004+ and the full-screen game optimisation stuff that you now can’t turn off.

Yes I think this problem is coming from Slate.
I am also using 4K display, latest NVidia drivers.

I just disabled DPI scaling, enabled those settings above and the editor started to run properly, no crashes yet since then.

Another weird thing to this is that I am using my 4k display, but usually have it set to 1080p and it still encounters the issue. I wonder if it’s still rendered to the monitor’s native resolution in the background and then downscaled.

I’ve tried turning on and off the DPI scaling option, but no luck. I’ve even ordered a new DP cable today just to see if that’s the cause (considering it’s fine if plugged into the HDMI port of the same monitor).

Almost contemplating a third reformat, but this time going back to W10 1909 (that’s what I have on my last machine, as it couldn’t run 2004+).

I rolled back to 460.89 for now. I just couldn’t consistently fix the hanging issue, even trying options you’d mentioned and turning off DPI. It would sometimes fix it, then I’d do something else such as Adobe or a game and come back and it’d be broken again.

Hoping it’s fixed in the next nvidia driver.

I didn’t have any crashes anymore (latest driver) since that day.
Very confident that somehow HDR fixed it for me.

I just tried the latest 461.40 nvidia drivers and have exactly the same hang problem when interacting with the UI elements. Doh. I was hoping it would be fixed.

Trying to think what else I could try, as I just don’t have the HDR option to toggle.

EDIT: Weirdly, I just found a workaround.

If I set my monitor to be 10bpc rather than 8bpc in the NVIDIA control panel, no more sluggish UI or random hanging.

Not sure why that works, as my monitor is only DP1.2 and so really shouldn’t even support 10bpc.

Could it be caused by faulty video card? Because after the engine crashed my desktop backround was also distorted and affected:
Or maybe software problem can also cause this?
(Also before the crash I experienced little coloured square all over the screen (Like the ones at the bottom)) Did everyone just had a sudden crash without any artifact first or did anyone experience flickering OR white textures OR coloured squares/distortion on the screen before the crash? If it’s only in my case maybe I’m trying to fix a software issue while having no software issue and a dying video card instead. I’m not sure… I use this version of UE (4.23) for a year without this issue and I didn’t change anything just updated the graphics driver 6 weeks ago, but I reinstalled the previous version since. I have this crash after a few minutes in the 3D viewport. Not in the other editors. Oh and this problem began 4 weeks ago, when my pc suddenly froze and I had to hard reset it.

[USER=“97526”]Cyber Spear[/USER] Yes, if you are getting weird artifacts all over your screen, there is a good chance it is hardware related.
i.e. GPU is damaged.

Same issue for me. Random Error GPU Crashed or D3D Device Removed. The UI also stuck sometimes. I got a gtx 2080ti and a rtx 1081ti. So annoying.

I was getting this error a lot when retargeting animations.

**After disabling ray-tracing e moved to dx 11 in the project setting and restarting the editor, I’m yet to have a crash. **

This feels like some kind of r*pe PSTD support group. I suddenly get this exact issue as well for DX11. I switched from DX12 as a similar crash started occurring after a driver/windows update back in about Oct, 2020. Nothing has changed in my hardware configuration for 2 years. My drivers, while not matching 460 (I’m on 456.71).

I’m hesitant to update my drivers as it seems every time that I do, I have some new issues just suddenly crop up. As mentioned, this issue (DX11.GetQueryData()) just started TODAY only! I hadn’t rebooted in quite a while, and so when I did, I got a windows update (scary) and Discord updated as well.

So I’m throwing myself in here as well, to keep this thread alive and kicking. For me, this is an absolutely catastrophic issue and completely unsatisfactory that there appears to be no support other than here and a single, well known answer hub question that has to this day appears to have garnered 0 attention from the designers!

Keep in mind, some of us during these hard times have gone all in, in my case for over 8 months. We have made a release date announcement on Steam for almost exactly 6 months hence, the store page is live and we are now balls deep in this commitment. There is already have more than enough to do by that time, let alone trying to find out why this is happening.

I don’t think we should allow the ‘free license’ when developing a professional product for sale by which eventually royalties will be paid out be an excuse to put this at the bottom of the prio list.

It also ingloriously dishonors the work on all the other modules of the engine, to have this fundamental issue live on with what appears to not even have any acknowledgement from the responsible parties.

Nevertheless, make no mistake: UE FOREVER! (I spent from 2018 to 2020 working in Unity professionally, which absolutely sucked, but this level of issue never did occur using it)

Just a quick update -> unfortunately, none of any of the suggestions has alleviated this issue for me at all. It started today, and it seems that it will last forever.

RajeshJA wrote:

**That’s it! **No more crashes the whole weekend!

I’m posting this nervously because I don’t want to jinx, knock on wood, but I found there was a new driver update (461.72 on 2/25/21), it looks like there was yet another driver release so I updated to that and I haven’t had this issue since my last post on the topic. Fingers crossed…