Unreal Engine 5.1 Preview

Why ver 5.1 nanite not working? I want tested nantite tree but when I turn on nanite visualization nothing happend I also converted tree to nanite

1 Like

Enable DX12 and SM6

I cant its not activate, so no more working on SM5?

Same problem on MacBook Pro M1Max. Affects all static meshes including the preview meshes in the material preview.

I fix problem I install new gpu driver, anyone test nanite foliage? I tested but complety unusefull worst performance than traditional method

Iā€™m trying to open a 5.0.3 project in 5.1 but I get this error:

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(45,5): error MSB3073: The command ā€œā€œD:\Programs\Epic Games\UE_5.1\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.batā€ MyGameEditor Win64 Development -Project=ā€œD:\Programs\Epic Games\Projects\MyGame 5.1\MyGame.uprojectā€ -WaitMutex -FromMsBuildā€ exited with code 6.

Anyone know whatā€™s going on?

1 Like

Tessellation is still very much needed and the developers are fully aware of this despite what few people have said regarding the matter. The feature will be returning in the future, but not in 5.1.

According to the prior AMAs, the developers have found a way to do Tessellation and incorporate it as a feature of Nanite but didnā€™t elaborate too much on the whole process because they want to save that for later.

Tested with grass patch with only 60 vertices and proper lods, nanite canā€™t simplify(edge collapse) this type of asset and as result nanite doesnā€™t work so well. Stat gpu showing that most of time nanite spend on occlusion ~1.8ms(~30k instances in view). Per instance fade node doesnā€™t work and create sharp fading.
Trees and bushes shows a bit better results than this lowpoly grass, but overall perfomance decreased with nanite a lot.

What I donā€™t understand in Unreal Engine is why unreal engine starts compiling and preparing files for so long every time I create a new project. And even more interesting is why I donā€™t find any explanation of it in the documentation or tutorials.
Why can I not download already compiled and prepared files for any template as in any other applications?
Unreal Engine 5.1 Preview starts preparing files when I switch from one option to another (for example, from Low to Medium) in Engine Scalability Setting.
Why?

did you desintall the previous version of the installer before installing the 5_1_Preview1?

Will pathtracer be supported in shipping builds?

But Virtual Heightfield works only on terrain, and what about regular meshes ? (not nanites). Before (in 4.25) we could tesselate those, blend material, and go with this, now without ability to tesselate, there is no way that this would look acceptable, unless all affected meshes are super-dense, but that leads to performance issues. (sub-pixel tiny triangles, or popping LODā€™s to mention the biggest)

As stated @Krabworks here : Unreal Engine 5.1 Preview - #23 by Krabworks, a tesselation solution should incoming in X ue version (5.2 ? 5.3 ? more ? canā€™t said).

Otherwise concerning your issue, nanite is made to support super-dense mesh (without LOD and thing like that). So you totally should be able to have the same render than before with Nanite (and with better performance if we look only on the mesh itself).

So until the new tesselation solution is coming, using nanite is fine. You have plenty of tutorial on the net how to apply a displacement map on a mesh to apply the displacement in the topography of the mesh itself.

1 Like

if WPO in nanite will be performant enough, then fine, I could go with nanitesā€¦ but still need to dense-tesselate upfront simple cartoonish (for example) geometry seems like a quite waste.

Guess Iā€™ll continue to wait for MacOS integration with Naniteā€¦

4 Likes

Only me poor performance nanite foliage? work worse than standard method

Maybe. You might need to optimize your scene for Nanite.

Great to see XR being given feature parity with desktop with deferred render pipelines for mobile and initial Lumen and Nanite support (which could be a massive step up and potential game changer for VR!).

Hope to see iOS AR feature set get similar attention soon please.

Depends on the plugin. For marketplace plugins, the developers may or may not support previews, so you may need to do some work yourself. At the very least: (1) Download UE 5.0.3 and install the required plugins to that engine version. Move the plugins from ā€œ%programfiles%\epic games\ue_5.0\engine\plugins\Marketplaceā€ to \Plugins. (2) Upgrade your .uproject file to 5.1. (3) Re-generate the Visual Studio Solution. (4) Open the solution in Visual Studio and build. (5) Fix any errors reported - could be lots or none.

I assume you are referring to the thousands of shaders getting compiled at startup? Shader compilation has a lot of settings, so shipping with all possible variants pre-compiled would probably increase the size of the installation by a factor of 10 or more.