Unreal Engine 5.1 Preview

That’s true

you need an RTX card. so 20xx and up.

RTX for Path Tracing? I’ve been using Path Tracer just fine with the same card in previous Unreal Engine releases. They must have blocked it on purpose.

-Noticing strange shadow smears following the character in any of the templates. Fresh install, i’ve changed nothing except enabling SM6 in settings: example
-Every time the Character Movement Component lands on something, it seems to try to add an impulse to it, which throws a warning about object mobility every time it’s something that isn’t physics enabled. Your log will quickly fill up with warnings. Turning off physics interaction in the CMC settings stops this.
-Enabling Nanite on any trees/foliage that have been auto-placed by the landscape/foliage modes seems to bug out and float around like on big sinewaves. It’s very strange, because any manually placed tree/bush won’t do this: example

Same problem, but it was not present in the source version a few weeks ago

I’m unable to validate this cvar still exists, but perhaps you could try r.D3D12.DXR.AllowEmulatedRayTracing=1

Unfortunately it looks like DXR on Pascal (and turing) was purposefully disabled. If you have the time (and space), you can try compile the engine from this pull request, which re-enables the feature.

1 Like

Here is a direct link:
https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/tree/5.1.0-preview-1

The new warning you are seeing is only for real-time rendering, which has always had a limit of 256 ray traced lights. Now at least you know when you’re going over the limit and can adjust your settings accordingly. This warning does not apply to the path tracer, which has practically no limit on the number of lights. (There is technically an internal limit but it would be very hard to reach.)

Per the product roadmap, 5.1 is adding support for Exponential Height Fog and Sky Atmosphere Fog. Volumetric Clouds in the path tracer are planned to be coming in a future engine release.

There is nothing currently planned for this.

Amanda, I am happy you are here! :slight_smile:
Hearing Amanda is much better than hearing news about UE 5.1 :slight_smile:

<3

5.1 on Mac m1 studio. (Update: Working fine so far. Except these black marks when you get close to static meshes)

Summary

Anyone else getting weird blotches/scratches

• I’m a Mac User too
  • I’m on PC. like a real wizard

0 voters

2 Likes

You seem to know things and I would really like to know something :).
TransformBug
I summited a bug report twice about this and never got any reply. I know the policy is to not reply for known bugs or ones with workarounds and such. But the thing is, I can not know for what reason this is not registered as a bug. UE4 has way more precise rotations than UE5.

So, I beg you, please, please, please, if there is any way you can find out if this is known and planed to be fixed at some point or is this a “feature” or something.

It is wrecking my project and I can not move to UE5 because of it. Just knowing if its a bug or somehow intentional, would help me a lot. Because then I would know if it makes sense to try and figure out what is causing this. As a soloDev I’m stretched thin as it is…

Please.

I installed the UnrealDatasmithMaxExporter_5_1_Preview1 on my 3ds max 2023. When I try to export the file, I cannot select the datasmith formats from the export type! anybody can help for this issue?

VR Template just crashes for me when trying to do a vr preview

Ahh… it was a matter of patience and render settings. Fixed it. Now to get the bridges working.

You have to click the + and then search for the preview 5.1.0 as an option of the version you wish to install. If it’s not there, then yes, you need to logout and back in.

Same here

I’m also experiencing this.

1 Like

I converted a project from 5.0 to 5.1p, and hardware raytracing no longer works.

If I create a new 5.1p template project from scratch, hardware raytracing works fine. It also previously worked fine in 5.0, so I’m at a loss as to what is causing this issue.

Edit: RenderDoc plugin was preventing it from functioning. GPU lightmass gave me a hint :woozy_face:

1 Like