Unreal Engine 5.1 Preview

thanks for the information. I ask you if it is necessary to have the two graphics cards connected in SLI also for the render in pathtracing when rendering with the MOVIE RENDER QUEUE (by enabling the option r.PathTracing.MultiGPU = 1 from the varibles console)
Thanks in advance

Awesome the 5.1 is here is there an update to import IFC files in runtime in this version?

Are there any plans to ship the Bridge plugin in the Linux version?

I’ve noticed some serious issues with VSMs where they leave behind broken shadow afterimages. The problem goes away if you use CSMs. Tested this on a new project=>3rd person template and only changing one setting: DX12 to use SM6 like the warning message suggests when you first load the project.

I’m using an Nvidia GTX1650+517.48 drivers and Windows 11 2H22 if that helps.

I want to know if the Lumen and Nanite in VR is on this is available. I tried the one from Github and it works fine for now. Please let me know, so I could move it to the 5.1 Preview.

THANKS!

Same here in firefox and chrome. Attachment of 800k jpg shouldn’t be a problem …

hi everyone, any idea on solving this when opening a 5.0 project in 5.1

1 Like

still no apple prores available for export on M1 Mac.

1 Like

Ok so it is necessary to use nvlink even for the Pathtracing. Is it possible that in the future Pathtracing would use all available cuda devices without needing nvlink?

actually Fog worked for me … Fog looked beautiful

Volumetric clouds didnt

I need typically mutli gpu on the 3000s series will require nvlink – their isnt an unreal thing but nvidia thing – unless you have a pre-built series prior … just get a 3090 and that will out perform any multi gpu under its series

Check out Fog though its nice for preview version – im pretty sure clouds will be in the prev2

I converted a UE5.0.3 scene Path Tracing scene to 5.1, and aside from it crashing now, I get a warning about a 256 limit on ray traced lights. Having a limit on raytraced lights in the path tracer is ridiculous. Lights should not be so limited, that is a severe handicap for VFX artists, doing big scenes.

This is the scene in question, where each weapon round has an attached light, I will be adding explosions and other things to it, which will also emit light. I do not know if this is related to the crash or not, but in 5.0.3 just adding spawners to things was significantly slowing down the offline renderer out of MRQ.

Please lift restrictions on light counts, when doing scenes of this kind we are likely to have thousands of lights in a scene, all needing to be raytraced.

Pathtracing is missing in 5.1 for me. I can’t toggle it in the viewport nor use it in the Movie Render Queue. I’m using GTX 1070, in UE 5.0 it was working fine. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Yes, I understand. However he did not specify HW tessellation. He said that tessellation is gone from the engine and will never be coming back. Other implementations of the same practical functionality that would presumably not require the same level of ongoing support across different RHIs have been confirmed as being researched so hopefully we will see them emerge one day in the future :slightly_smiling_face:

Uhm question. When I do play around in 5.1 preview, can the plugins still works or not?. Because I had a few people on discord had said it won’t work on the 5.1 preview version of it. And plus I don’t wanna go back to 5.0.3. because it has been acting up lately with me. And also the I really don’t like it when I was foliage for current projects that I’m working on, the framerate drops down to 30 or 20. And it just sucks. So I just wanted to use 5.1 preview version so I can able to have foliage in nanite so the performance can work well.

Having trouble enabling the Path Tracer FOG myself. Any ideas on what tiny little box deep in there I haven’t checked yet?

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if the link has been removed, though because I have an account and cannot find 5.1.0-preview-1…

I also only have 217 tags, not 226. I’m not sure how tags work, though, and if there’s some reason specific to me that it’s not showing 226. Maybe it has been taken down…who knows?

@Phreezer I just check, it is still there. Not sure why you only see 217 tags.
https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/tags

4090 does not have SLI, so this isn’t going to be possible going forward with the consumer cards if it requires SLI.