Unreal Engine 4.27 Preview

eh does that mean we can ue4 rendering inside any c#/c++ application?
Currently it still can be done but not supported right away (need engine edit+compilation)

It opens up a ton of possibilities, this probably being one of them. In theory the whole architecture is ā€œreversedā€ - instead of integrating stuff into UE4 you integrate UE4 into stuff.

Pathtracer now has a denoiser!

6 Likes

I feel your pain.

In UE5 it still isnā€™t even possible to add Niagara effects to Slate/UMG, is it? If not, then surely theyā€™re gonna add that functionalityā€¦ right?

2 Likes

Has anyone tested oodle yet with a package size pre oodle and post 4.27? Im dyint to know but I am not home yet ugh

Please fix the world outliner view. :sob:
Itā€™s really inconvenient to use world outliner in UE4 or ue5

check my pitcures and words:

check my video:
https://youtu.be/5vnyFZpWiKM

5 Likes

Pathtracer is pretty amazing in 4.27ā€¦
however dof and translucent objects like glass wonā€™t work still.

Is there a workaround for this problem?

4 Likes

GPU Lightmass for Vulkan and GNU/Linux when?

How do I use the lens distortion plugin? Is there documentation somewhere?

1 Like

Hi,

I have solved changing the ā€œRefraction Modeā€ to ā€œIndex of refractionā€ under ā€œrefractionā€ in the material Details!

I am really disappointed by the way ray clamping was implemented:

Itā€™s actually dependent on the exposure rather than the relative ray intensity. This makes is very painful to set up correctly, ensures that most people will not know how to set it up correctly, and makes it pretty much nonsense, when used with Auto-Exposure. This is all the more weird given the fact that Auto-Exposure is the default exposure method in Unreal Engine.

Iā€™d understand it if ray clamping was state of the art feature, but ray clamping is so prominent in most mainstream rendering engines these days that getting it wrong is just sad.

2 Likes

4.26 itā€™s part of the font options and itā€™s a godsend! Though, not able to be keyframed which is still disappointing. Also seems to be largely affected by DPI. But, while itā€™s not perfect, itā€™s a game changer for UI design.

1 Like

I want them to abandon the 2D-limited UI system entirely. Itā€™s so restrictive, especially for VR interfaces. Unity UI natively supports 3D (no need to fake depth), can utilize full material options like emissives, and has a UI camera which means you can take advantage of camera post process bloom. So even just having something comparable to Unity UI would be nice. A few other things off the top of my head I wish weā€™d see:

More Font Options and OpenType feature support
I understand thereā€™s limitations when working with embedded/imported fonts for a reason, but the ability to have true (not dpi based) letter spacing, kerning, more hinting options, and OpenType features would be nice.

Background Blur Masks
Being able to have custom background blur shapes or even gradient masks that utilize alpha to adjust blur strength would be amazing

Widget Switcher Collapsing Option
Switchers are great for UI creation UX but the perf hit from them being hidden rather than collapsed really limits their usage. Would be nice to have the option for the method to be either hidden or collapsed.

More Nuanced Scroll Bar Settings
Being able to quickly choose the side the bar is on without having to do scale tricks. And having the scroll bar hidden but still take up itā€™s space+padding so content doesnā€™t shift when the bar shows.

TRUE construction script node and/or Editor Utility support
Pre-Construct still runs at runtime, but thereā€™s many times when working in large UI systems where you may need to set unique settings for elements during design but donā€™t want it to run in-game. Alternatively, more or better, UMG support for Editor Utility Blueprints/Widgets to allow easier adjustments during design time that actually are applied and not dependent on pre-construct. Unless Iā€™m missing something, thereā€™s no real way for it to detect, modify, or work with current placed hierarchy selections. Iā€™d love to be corrected on that if Iā€™m wrong!

6 Likes

This might help:

1 Like

Looking over your list, I would love to see support for any of it. Fingers crossed I guess?

I wish the games/apps industry would try making a dedicated file type for UI interchange. Think fbx/obj/alembic but for UI - complete with art assets and non-linear UX control flow.

Iā€™d love a DCC for UI where I simply export my work, import it into any environment that accepts that file type, then connect some hooks to the UX control logic I designed in the DCC. Soā€¦basically I want Blender or Maya but for UI.

Thanks but I meant dof+refractions. You cannot focus to translucent objects. I was hoping path tracer wouldnā€™t have this ugly limitation.

In many ways, especially for those of us in virtual production, this is a bigger release than 5.0. Hoping documentation is forthcoming, especially for the improved remote features!

Do you think in 4.27 it will be possible to use Path Tracing with volumetric fog?

Is beta dokumentation 4.27 coming son, or is it some link somewhere.

Hi Epic, Iā€™m testing the GPU lightmass and mGPU feature. I have 2 x 2080Ti GPUs running with NV link and Iā€™m not seeing any utilization of the 2nd card when GPU light mass building.

Can you please post documentation on how to activate the feature.

Thanks,