Unreal Challenge: Creep It Real

INTRODUCING OUR SECOND, ALL-NEW UNREAL ENGINE COMMUNITY CHALLENGE!

In May we hosted our first-ever Unreal Challenge, and the community did not disappoint! We saw over 450 fantastic entries to Unreal Challenge: Better Light Than Never.

Each challenge will focus on a specific skillset or feature within Unreal Engine and general development. In future iterations, we aim to offer unique opportunities to collaborate with other community members in even larger events, like the Epic MegaJam.

But without further 'ado, here is your challenge:

THE CHALLENGE

For this event, Unreal Challenge: Creep It Real we encourage you to create a short video showcasing your Worldbuilding abilities, pulling inspiration or guidance from the title itself. Build up a scene yourself, leverage available Marketplace products, KitBash3D’s provided content or anything else you’ve stashed away in your Vault, then make your creation come alive! We want to see how you make those environments convey a feeling.

Your efforts earn you a chance to win up to $1,000 in cash, ArtStation giftcards, plus KitBash3D, Houdini, and SketchFab licenses. Oh, did we mention there will also be swag?

Not only that, but we’ve set aside a round of prizes for students!

You’ll have four weeks to complete your task—all submissions are due by October 29, 2022 at 11:59 PM EDT. 2022-10-30T03:59:00Z

Join the dedicated Creep It Real group to make sure you get any and all important announcements, and chat with fellow participants!

VIDEO REQUIREMENTS

Your video must:
  • Be between 10-60 seconds of content
  • Be a minimum of 1920 x 1080 resolution
  • Not contain any post-production editing

MovieRenderQueue & Path Tracer

Your video file should be encoded directly from Unreal only, using any methods in the documentation. We reserve the right to ask you to provide a screen recording of running the render from Movie Render Queue.

Path Tracing is not permitted as this creates an unfair advantage against those that do not have systems that can use this feature.

And will be scored (1-5 points) on each of the following criteria:

• Level Design
  • Environment Design
  • Composition
  • Conveyance of Mood/Atmosphere
  • Use of Theme

HOW TO SUBMIT AN ENTRY

• Create a new Discussion in the Unreal Challenge category and use the tag ‘CreepItReal’
  • Include a title for your video
  • Link to your video or embed it in the topic
  • Indicate whether or not you are currently a student
  • Include which engine version you used to create your project
  • Attach a screenshot of your project in Editor

Calling All Students!

Are you a student? We want you to compete too! The Unreal Education team is paramount to giving students further opportunities, learning, and growth. Whether a technical challenge like this or the Epic MegaJam, you can expect the team to have students at heart!

We also understand that it can be somewhat daunting to compete against industry veterans and that many students might doubt their abilities- but know that you are all fantastic and deserve the same opportunities and to be seen and heard- that’s just one of the reasons why we have three finalist spots specifically for student participants.

We’ve added the tag “Student-Entry” for this category. If you a student submission, please use the tag along with the ‘CreepItReal’ tag.

If you’re looking for more learning content around Unreal Engine, we have some perfect suggestions that are designed with students in mind, such as;Learn the art of virtual robotics with our new Unreal Learning Kit update. For even more student resources check out our student page.

SPONSORS

KitBash3D

We’re excited to welcome back KitBash3D, who creates premium 3D asset Kits filled with all the pieces needed to build worlds for video games, film, television, design and digital art. They provide artists with completely customizable sets of 3D assets that serve as the building blocks to create original environments ranging from modern skyscrapers to neo-futuristic utopias to ancient temples.

KitBash3D will also be offering their Neo City Kit for participants to use during this challenge! Get the kit here.

Sketchfab
We’re honored and excited to have Sketchfab as a part of the Challenge family, we believe the combination of tools available within the ecosystem is paramount to the encouragement of the community, and the opportunity it provides. Sketchfab is the leading platform for 3D & AR on the web. Publish, share, and discover 3D content on web, mobile, AR, and VR. 50+ File Formats. Over 5 Million 3D Artists.
Not only is Sketchfab a fantastic place to get assets, but it is also a great place to showcase your own, no matter its style or format.

ArtStation

We’re pleased to welcome ArtStation as a sponsor of this Unreal Challenge. ArtStation provides you with a simple, yet powerful way to show your portfolio and be seen by the right people in the industry. It’s super fast and sleek. Showcase high resolution images, videos, short clips, Marmoset and Sketchfab 3D scenes, 360 panos and more. Add your work and production experience. Blogs enable you to share your work in progress, articles and be seen. Analytics lets you see who’s checking out your portfolio. You can even sell your digital assets and prints.

Houdini

From 3D models to animations to VFX and more, Houdini Indie’s procedural workflow can automate repetitive tasks and allow game dev teams to generate higher amounts of quality content in shorter times. Houdini Indie quickens iteration time, thereby improving gameplay by allowing for much more variation. Houdini Indie can also connect to Unreal Engine via the free Houdini Engine Indie plugin and can provide highly controllable procedural assets directly in UE4 & UE5 itself.

Houdini will also be generously offering a 2-month Houdini Indie license for the participants of the Challenge! Request the license here.

Are you looking for Houdini learning content? Look no further than here! They have hundreds of tutorials with everything from Environments to Destruction FX!

Unreal Engine Marketplace
The Unreal Engine Marketplace sculpted the October 2022 free Unreal Engine content with the Challenge in mind. Get these from October 5th 2022!

PRIZES

Overall Prizes Student Prizes

First Place:

• One cash prize of $1000.00
  • One Epic Games / Unreal Engine SWAG
  • One $100 ArtStation Marketplace Gift Card from ArtStation
  • One Individual License Dieselpunk World Kit from KitBash3D
  • One One Year Sketchfab Pro from Sketchfab
  • One Year Houdini Indie License

Second Place:

• One cash prize of $500.00
  • One Six Month Sketchfab Pro from Sketchfab

Third Place:

• One cash prize of $250.00
  • One Epic Games / Unreal Engine SWAG pack
  • One Three Month Sketchfab Pro from Sketchfab

First Place:

• One cash prize of $500.00
  • One One Year Sketchfab Pro from Sketchfab

Second Place:

• One cash prize of $250.00
  • One Six Month Sketchfab Pro from Sketchfab

Third Place:

• One cash prize of $100.00
  • One Three Month Sketchfab Pro from Sketchfab

Community Recognition Award
In addition to the above awards, this Challenge we are trialing the “Community Recognition Award” in which the most voted on eligible entry by the community will receive the following:

• One $250 Unreal Engine Marketplace Credits
  • One featured highlight on the official Unreal Engine blog
  • One feature in the form of the Unreal Challenge: Creep It Real Sizzle Reel

Community voting will open from the submission deadline on 2022-10-30T03:59:00Z until 2022-11-11T04:59:00Z.

Refresh your memory, or learn something new!

If you’re using Unreal Engine 5, the creation of assets within the Engine couldn’t be easier, with the use of geometry tools. Check out the evangelism talk "Blockout and Asset Production in UE5’ to find out more, covering everything from blocking out your scene to populating it with packed level instances and dynamic meshes made with geometry script.

Furthermore, on April 14th, 2022, we hosted an Inside Unreal Livestream "Exploring Geometry Tools in UE5, which expands upon some of these tools and the process, and thought behind them. Check it out here.

In the sixth part of the Medieval Game Environment series, Quixel’s Jakob Keudel focuses on adding lights and atmospherics to the environment, explains his decisions about lighting techniques, and makes use of Unreal Engine’s new SkyAtmosphere system and volumetric clouds to achieve a realistic yet moody look. Full Medieval Game Environment tutorial series playlist.

Dive into this series in further and learn more about performance and optimization of your environment > Optimizing the Medieval Game Environment | Talks and demos

Be sure to check out even more fantastic resources and learning content on the Epic Developer Community portal such as:

OFFICIAL RULES

22 Likes

With the last challenge, due to complications with audio/exporting combined with audio, the rules were relaxed to allow the audio to be added in post (with no other editing), is that the case here or does it now have to be directly out of Unreal Engine?

4 Likes

Thank you for the question! As we have yet to improve our documentation on and around this process, we decided it would be best to relax those rules like the last challenge. This and other common questions answered from the last challenge can be found in the challenge FAQ.

I hope this clears that up for you and other folks that might wonder about this during the event! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hi, Can I create animations for a character in a blender? or I only have to use what i have in the library?

Hey :slight_smile: Yes, you can use Blender to create animations. If you have time, you should check out Control Rig and what it can do!

2 Likes

Hi, after reading the rules about the challenge I have a question:
The scene that we have to create it is should be based on a game like FPS, or TPS, or can be for VR where the video can be recorded and played the scene inside the headset which in my case will be Oculus Quest 2.

1 Like

Hey Is there possible I can use unreal engine 4.27 or only unreal engine 5 also I can use unreal marketplace use right? Is that scene should be like gameplay or like teaser!!! Thanks!!

Hi!

Whether you great a game around this or not is up to you, there are no restrictions. However, please remember that the judging criteria are focused on the level design, environment design, composition, conveyance of mood/atmosphere, and the use of theme.

I hope this helps!

Hi @moulee, you can use Unreal Engine 4 or 5 to build up your scene and showcase it. You can also use UE Marketplace assets and are encouraged to use assets from the MP and other places and the ones you already have stashed away in your vault.

Whether you approach with gameplay or a teaser is entirely up to you. One may allow you to focus on some things more than the other, and vice versa. :slight_smile:

1 Like

last question
…

1. can i use assets from Quixel Bridge?

Thanks for the Information!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello,

I am wondering,

If I have assets that I create in Blender, am I able to use those in the scenes?

Thanks

hey i started learning ue5 two month’s ago so this may seem like a dumb question but is charterer animation counted post product production editing? an is there any way u can elaborate on what falls under post production editing?

I apologize for the stupid question (this is the first time I’m participating in a challenge).

I noticed that the rules said that editing the video is not allowed. So, does this mean that all of the video must come from with UE itself (i.e. from the Image Sequencer)?

is there a private chat for the group? i thought joining the group would
but i dont see any chat, i just want to do the project for the camaraderie

no one will listen to my team requests unless i do some proving ground work

by chat i mean a thread or forum post just for the group
would be my only opportunity for chat in the midst of a creative group

like i literally want to post right now to state my intent and see if anyone wants to say hi

@SeamD Yes, you can use assets from Quixel Bridge.

Hey @Samuel_3000_1, providing you have permission to use an asset, you may use it as long as it does not violate the post-processing rule as set out in the Official Rules-additional comments on that can be found in the FAQ.

In short, you can create assets to bring into Unreal Engine.

Hey @avrahams_nose! Post-production editing would be, as an example–taking the Sequencer export into Premiere, After Effects, or Davinci Resolve, etc. to edit, change, improve or correct the video in any way. The only permitted used of post-production editing is if someone is using Movie Render Queue, and wishes to add audio. There are ways to do this with MRQ within UE. However, it requires further documentation improvements, which is why this is allowed. We reserve the right to ask you to provide a screen recording of running the render from Movie Render Queue.

I hope this also answers your question @jsabbott :slight_smile:

I believe I have answered your question in the previous response to the thread I made. Though for clarity. The video export you submit must come directly from Unreal Engine in a raw format, meaning unedited. Please seek further clarification in our Challenge FAQ.