[UE5] Nanite bugged in new version of UE5?

I’d be careful relying on that specific work-around long term, I don’t expect that to keep working in future updates if Epic’s official stance is “DX11 is no longer supported”

You saved my life.Now with Deafult DX11 RHI setting Nanite works fine.And video memory warning disappears.I can render without GPU crash now!!!

1 Like

Same issue here with an RTX 2080, I have 21H1 version of win 10. Latest Nvidia driver (512.15) and Nanite doesn’t work with DirectX 12, if I switch to vulkan it works fine.

Nanite continued to be working? A select DX11 and Nanite Visualization - Triangles doesn’t work now.

That did the trick for me, thanks!

Check ckutalec’s post above.I followed his step and It worked.It seems that we can force Nanite to work with DX11.

1 Like

Thank you! It works for me.

did all the steps in here with no success, finally updated my driver (Geforce RTX) and now working seamlessly. Would suggest windows 11 and updated driver if none of these solutions worked for you^^^

With so many various solutions randomly working for some people but then not others who literally have the same EXACT settings, I think its pretty clear that this is just a major issue that EPIC has to fix.

If RHI is set to Direct X12 on a machine and worked for Preview 2 and versions prior but suddenly doesn’t work now, then the problem can’t be with peoples computers or OS.

Something is definitely bugged in the new Official 5.0 build.

2 Likes

Although this solution works, it results in black blotchy artifacts being drawn across the Nanite mesh within close distance of the camera view.

It looks like updating to the latest version of Windows will get Nanite working.

When you say latest version of windows, are you referring to Windows 11?

Yea, no thanks, paid $200 for the current OS that works fine, Ill stick with 10 till it goes the way of XP
How many times can microsoft sell the same OS?

I also had the same issues - I updated my driver, updated windows, confirmed the Lyra project worked but still couldn’t get a new project or an existing one to work. I finally got it to work by

1. Made a new level, saved it
  2. Downloaded a Megascans asset
  3. Right clicked on the Meagscans Static Mesh → Enable Nanite. Save
  4. Drag the asset to the level, save
  5. Then the Nanite visualization started working…

I had to do these steps for all the levels where it wasn’t working, but now everything is running.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I’d like to summarize and clarify all the above information being shared. The official 5.0 release included new dependencies on DirectX12’s Agility SDK for Nanite and your PC must absolutely have the latest version of Windows (version 1909+) and latest GPU drivers. Vulkan will also work.

For old Preview projects, you may need to migrate the content to a new project or otherwise delete the DerivedDataCache and any Intermediate / Saved / Binaries. DirectX12 must be the RHI for the project.

For users of Windows Server 2019, Windows version 1909 is not available and you should upgrade to Windows Server 2022 as soon as possible. In the meantime, when all else fails there is a console variable r.Nanite.RequireDX12 that can be placed in BaseEngine.ini / Engine.RendererSettings / r.Nanite.RequireDX12=0. This loophole will be closed with the 5.1 release and should not be relied on.

7 Likes

Based on the DX12 agility SDK requirement in the documentation,
Windows 10 version 1909. the revision number should exceed or be equal to .1350
Windows 10 version 2004 and 20H2, the revision number should exceed or be equal to .789.

I already upgraded the system, but this is where the revision number.
You can also check the revision number in the cmd.

And also another way to check if D3D12Core.dll is in your C:\Windows, not, upgrade the system.

Better choose the 21H2 version or the 21H1 version that is above 20H2.

I have confirmed all the above version numbers are higher than the ones listed, and that I have DX12 installed, and it exists in the folders listed. I have set my RHI Default to DX12, I have unchecked DX11 so that only DX12 is enabled. I have trashed all the temporary directory like Intermediate, Saved, etc. And I am still seeing the behavior of previously enabled nanite meshes having a splotchy appearance when it is enabled. I have tried disabling it for these meshes, and then re-enabling it, and the results are the same Any other potential suggestions?

You can see the difference between the enable / disabled states.

Question.

So if I use Vulkan to edit the game, look at nanite with the visualization tools and other stuff like this.

then I build the game

did nanite will work on other people computer that have DirectX12 and whatever particular windows version is required for this?

Can you please try to create a completed new project and a new nanite mesh, see if it’s working. and then place this mesh into it?
The key is to let the shader compile again.
If this mesh has been compiled while nanite isn’t working, then the cache will remember it.