[UE5] Lumen Noise Effect

Hello.

I have a question. Is there a way to reduce or get rid of this noise effect which is pretty consistent while using Lumen? I have it almost everywhere and tried changing settings, commands like r.Shadow.Virtual.SMRT.SamplesPerRayLocal and r.Shadow.Virtual.SMRT.RayCountLocal and r.Shadow.Virtual.SMRT.RayCountDirectional by increasing them to 8 - however they did not do a thing.

I am using Software Ray Tracing set to Global Tracing. It’s been a long two days trying to get rid of this effect and for now, only solution was to increase Screen Percentage to high amount(like 150-200). However it is not acceptable for this project, as it should be game ready. Also I cannot use Hardware Ray Tracing as it is more taxing.

Any tips?

5 Likes

Hello @Savonir !
It seems to be the denoiser in the post process path tracing

1 Like

I think today I’m on a mission. Just posted this tutorial in another thread

At one point in the tutorial it explains what is the deal with the shadows and why they break like that. and what you can do to make it work correctly

1 Like

William is the best one

Already saw it and unfortunately anything he mentioned did not work. And I cannot use Hardware RT :confused:

Can you elaborate? I am not sure what are you talking about.

Tried denoiser - both true or false, however it didn’t work.

to get rid of that square with noise issue you need to have ray traced shadows and also increase samples per pixels if is too noise. Off course this will affect performance.

Without this enabled it doesn’t work.

noise

you can also play with these options for that light that cast those shadows, maybe you can reduce it

2 Likes

So right now, Lumen is just like that? No other way? It doesn’t seem to be a viable tool for game ready quality. I mean, it is too taxing for performance :confused:

they are building the engine for the next 10 years. this is what they have said in some of the ue5 videos.

in a few years most of computers should have raytracing

you just need to work around on the older hardware.

you are building for architectural visualization?

No, I am currently researching Lumen as a viable tool for game project. And as for now, I would say that it is not :confused:

I’m not sure what you want to do. If you need lumen to look like it needs to look it requires the hardware to work with.

you can’t have one without another. the GPU does certain things that lumen needs. because older hardware doesn’t have the chip logic inside lumen can’t do that stuff. If you have a normal car you can’t go compete in the formula one competition.

is why I was asking what you want to do. You want your games to work on older hardware. fine. by the time you add a door, some objects textures, other stuff like that, that issue will be less visible

you want to create high render visualization for architecture or film production. you need better hardware.

for me is obvious :man_shrugging:

@Savonir I’m not an expert, but I know is 10 times faster
and I think I can’t add something else to what @dorusoftware said to you

take a look if this is a solution

1 Like

I was just asking if there is another way to deal with this problem. It is quite normal to have different solutions for one issue, and this is an issue(looks like a bug to me). Choosing HWRT is just not viable right now even for high end rigs - for game projects, but as you said, maybe it is in the future.

@alberto Tried that, sadly didn’t work.

Thank you both for trying. I am going to check some scalability options and try there, since there is a big difference between high/epic default settings. Have a great day.

1 Like

I was able to reduce the noise quite nicely thanks to these values. Maybe it will be helpful for someone else :slight_smile:

r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.DownsampleFactor=8
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.TracingOctahedronResolution=16
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.FullResolutionJitterWidth=0.5

8 Likes

Was running into the same issue and found changing the Anti_Aliasing Method in the rendering settings to TSR (Temporal Super-Resolution) made a big difference. Didn’t seem to have any effect on FPS.

2 Likes

@visualconquest Was running into the same issue and found changing the Anti_Aliasing Method in the rendering settings to TSR (Temporal Super-Resolution) made a big difference. Didn’t seem to have any effect on FPS.

TSR does have a noticeable FPS difference from TAA, but it is completely worth it.

2 Likes

Just adding to this thread - I found TAA gave the least noise in shadows personally - TSR was very noisy for me

2 Likes

@Savonir Those settings you recommend were already set for me by default in UE 5.3 and I’m still having significant noise in the reflections on materials with roughness. I’ve found these settings to be a good compromise.

With these settings below, my scene looks more realistic than “screenspace” reflections, but not quite as good as path tracing, but it’s somewhere in the middle, still using lumen but somewhat throttled back. Give these a try:

Settings to reduce Noise with in Lumen Reflections:
r.Lumen.Reflections.MaxRayIntensity=3
r.Lumen.Reflections.BilateralFilter.SpatialKernelRadius=0.01

The defaults for these values are:
r.Lumen.Reflections.MaxRayIntensity=100
r.Lumen.Reflections.BilateralFilter.SpatialKernelRadius=0.001

Here’s a link where I post some screenshot examples of the various options and settings.

1 Like

Changing ‘Diffuse color boost’ to 3 or 4 in post process settings made this a lot better for me, but also makes the indirect lighting brighter.