UE5 is coming ~ What do you want?

Having seen the amazing demo, and very quickly falling behind in recent developments I’m hoping someone can shed some light!

Was it demoed on a PlayStation and if so what GPU was it using?

Is it using some type of optimized Raytracing or some other type of magic?

well… as just an end-user hobby guy… i’ll take it as it is and adjust to what i have… ‘stability’ would be nice, and the experimentals, just put them in when they are ready, i always turn them on and mess up everything… i’m a total ‘i wonder what will happen if i push this button’ kind of guy (smile)

new ui system

Proper solution for Anti-Aliasing in VR is a must have for ue5! The AA that is using now creates very unnnatural image. I think ue5 need a solution similar to the one used in source 2 in HL Alyx.

I just hope they fix this

giphy.gif

3 Likes

I presume Nanite will eventually support complex deforming geometry like characters/foliage? I see simple rotating animations on the pedestal but I’m seeing a current-gen character there. Amazing progress nonetheless.

Let’s see…
Windows Support(obviously)
Mac support and IOS support
Linux export(because the gaming community for linux is getting larger)
Android support
And future console ports

Cosmetic stuff is not the most important thing to be concerned about. There are way more critical bugs that absolutely need to be fixed in UE4.

1 Like

I’m a VR developer and I wish to be able to play-test my VR app with a VR simulator while the VR hardware is not connected.

So no normal maps, more 8k assets… seems really cool. Let me introduce you to 8k ambient occlusion map baking!! Better start saving now for a new cpu, (and the motherboard that goes with it)

Better Mac support (Metal, Raytracing on AMD GPU). Bugs fixes on Mac (Retina 27’’ display UV broken on Mac).

1 Like

Hope the Nanite stuff is VR friendly…and more options about exporting VR 360 vids!

Can we get the System Requirements? I’m looking for a PC for UE5. But how am I supposed to buy a PC for UE5 when theirs no requirements out yet for it? If I’m asking for anything its System Requirements PLEASE???

I want Epic to actually listen to what the people in the forum have to say

I would like to see better persistence handling.
Ideally actors should have an option to persist across levels. all their variables unchanged with level loads.

Also it would be great if UE5 was more modular component based system like unity and pretty much all other engines.

And lastly C# support or better scripting language.

There are save Plugins for that. My own plug-in included can do that.

Unreal have Actor/Component system.

Do you know why Unity can take up to a MINUTE to enter Play Mode on editor for larger projects?
Because Unity use C# and a big portion of Unity Editor is written in C#.

Do you know why Unreal enters Play Mode on Editor INSTANTLY even when your project is several hundred gigabytes large?
Because Unreal’s Editor is not written in C# and doesn’t rely on Mono VM to run.

C# could be useful, for scripting isolated gameplay elements only.
They should never wrap the editor or entire game runtime into C# world. If Epic add official C# support they would be forced to add editor support for the language and that would drag editor performance to very bad levels.

Python could be an alternative, but python is unsafe and slow too. You can add and remove properties to a python class at runtime, a buffet for gamecheats.

“There are save Plugins for that. My own plug-in included can do that.”

I know there are plugins but plugins “save systems” vs persistent object is a big difference in time and effort.
instead of using a save system i could just use a game instance and save each variable in there but again this is tedious compared to simply making an object persistent as you would do in unity “don’t destroy onload” and you are done.

The type of games i make are a hybrid between strategy and action… its my own fusion im trying to make so it becomes a struggle with UE4.
I know its possible but its going to take much longer and become very messy compared to using unity.

EDIT:
well it seems i wasnt using levels properly. now the persistence issue isnt so bad.

“Do you know why Unity can take up to a MINUTE to enter Play Mode on editor for larger projects?
Because Unity use C# and a big portion of Unity Editor is written in C#.”

yeah one of my two year developed projects did slow down quite a bit entering playmode but it was more like 15 seconds. not too bad though. but its how long is a piece of string kind of thing.

C# could be useful, for scripting isolated gameplay elements only.
They should never wrap the editor or entire game runtime into C# world. If Epic add official C# support they would be forced to add editor support for the language and that would drag editor performance to very bad levels.

Yeah i totally agree with this. only used for isolated gameplay is enough for me but its not a biggy anyway, Epic has done a great job with blueprints.

I hope Lumen will be better than VXGI performance wise atleast or not to much performance loss, It already looks to be much better than vxgi in terms of quality. Hopefully Lumen will affect GI if its emissive material like VXGI does. Nanite unlimited polycount! omg think of the vegetation models we could use. I am very intrigued by Nanite. Hopefully it is as good as the claims!

Absolute complete noob tutorials, NO the one thats there is not newb friendly it assumes you know some stuff. I really want to understand stuff and not just copy paste what i’m being told to.
Look at what Dreams accomplished as a game, help one mans dream be just a little less impossible… Pls

I’d like to second the request for releasing (absolute minimum) feature-set- and system- -requirements. I am german, i like planning things. Joke aside, the absolute minimum would be more than fine to know, as i do prefer to use:

• AMD Radeon Pro/FirePro
  • NVidia Quadro

series cards.

Why? Because they are super conservative in there settings, meaning performance-wise on the low-end of the equivalent/same-chipset models for gamers, but extreme stable in long-long-long-term-use, as applies for editing/rendering. It is easy and affordable to get battle-proven refurbished cards, which provides the creator to get a foot in the door when it comes to learning to use the editor, as well as for having a minimum-performance reference-system.

So, please: Publish detailed requirements for minimum featuresets of gpus/cpus as early as possible. And maybe this time even be that brave to give straight away what cards your house-internal developers use for testing and creating UnrealEngine5.

Thanks.

… all Best.

1 Like