UE5 how to disable lumen for an existing level - force no precomputed lighting greyed out

I wanted to test out UE5 lighting with and without lumen, I’ve made a test project using the third person template, which comes with ThirdPersonMap and lumen enabled by default. In order to re-enable static lighting I’ve followed the steps to disable lumen in the project settings (lumen settings documented here Lumen Global Illumination and Reflections in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine Documentation). But I can’t disable “Force no precomputed lighting” in the world settings, because it is greyed out

Anyone know how to fix this? It might be something to do with ThirdPersonMap by default being a “world partition” level, because if I start a new level with this dialogue

then “open world” → that option is greyed out, but “basic” → option is not greyed out. Which suggests open world levels don’t support static lighting? Can’t find anything in the docs about this. Is there a way to convert an existing level back to normal so you can enable static lighting again?

7 Likes

Hi @VictorLerp, Can we have some intel about baked lighting in OpenWorld Levels?
I read the documentation about Levels without finding information about specifics usecases.

I’m interested about using OpenWorld levels even for small maps on VR device because if I understand well, it’s implement the OneFilePerActor functionality that reducing merge conflicts when multiple teams members working on a same level. Am I right?

Thanks

1 Like

I had this issue and I was able to fix it by just creating a new map and copying all of my items over into it.

2 Likes

This feature is not yet supported, but the team is actively working on it! Keep an eye on main.

8 Likes

If that helps, you can use OFPA without World Partition. It’s been available since 4.26.

2 Likes

I have similar issue, I want to use data layers with static lighting, force no precomputed lighting being greyed out doesn’t allow it. I don’t want to use lumen, is there any way to force it to work?

Any update on feature support?

The work is currently on hold with no ETA

For complex indoor lighting scenes with many lights, is there a workaround with a lumen enabled project to selectively prioritized baked lighting instead?

we have the same problem. world partition do not support baking static light, we have a lot of dynamic point lights indoor, so FPS is not good. we need to bake to.

Any new news about it? will 5.3 have this feature?

Epic should understand that this is a very important feature, not only for Mobile and current gen hardware, but also for nextgen for certain types of games.

4 Likes