UE5 gpu crashed or d3d device removed

Hi people,

I have been using the full release of UE5 and every 5 minutes it crashes and presents the gpu crashed error everytime. I could literally be clicking on file, not doing anything intensive and it will crash. I’ve searched the internet, people are saying different things to fix it but literally nothing is working. DX11 helps but i need to use DX12 for ray tracing etc. I have a 3080ti so its definitely not the gpu running out of vram. I have the latest nvidia driver installed. If someone could help it would be much appreciated as it’s stopping my workflow completely.

Thanks in advance!

10 Likes

I’m getting the same issue, though not as often. 3080Ti here

2 Likes

FYI, pinned message from Unreal Slackers Discord…
For people getting DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED crashes with DirectX 12 on Unreal 5 projects, that’s a known issue for rtx 3000 cards and it’s a driver issue. Unfortunately, it’s unknown when Nvidia will fix it.

https://github.com/dyanikoglu/UnrealEngine/commit/6b6f4f77363865fb818df642e64a5522f5ed624d (dependency for actual fix)

https://github.com/dyanikoglu/UnrealEngine/commit/546c84799cfdfb2b6d5b06e829c9230dcdd56d73

If you’re using source build, just cherry pick those commits as temporary fix (they’re from ue5-main), or wait for 5.1 release.

6 Likes

I have the same problem.Some projects will crash, but some will not. Crash conditions unknown,It only crashes in editor state, when you “Play in Editor” everything is stable.
CPU: E5 2683V3;
GPU:2080;
GPU driver version:512.15 studio

@TarlRaney thank you very much for some actual helpful info haha! I guess will have to wait for the next driver to fix it.

Thanks for the info, I mean… kinda sucks that people on the newest hardware can’t even really get into UE5. Mine is crashing on every time I open project samples. I am able to load my own project fine though. I really wanted to play around with some of those projects to help learn some things and just have fun with it.

1 Like

Not sure if this helps in this case, but maybe…

4 Likes

Oh my God My UE4.27 has the same situation

2 Likes

Found it… my crash was caused by MSI afterburner’s stats monitoring… closing or turning it off worked!

8 Likes

Hey everyone, similar issue. I have a grand new computer running a 3080, 16gb rm, nvme ssd. I’ve ran unreal on less, but just starting up on the 3rd person template it works fine for a few minutes then the fly movement gets choppy and then stops. if you keep trying at it you get the GPU crashed for D3D Device Removed.

Having this issue as well with 3070. UE4 no probs. Never seen this error. UE5 randomly crashes when doing mundane tasks.

1 Like

This issue is very strange, the project I was working on where this error kept on happening has now magically fixed itself. I did change a few settings such as the AA method in the project settings but I did change it back to its original setting (TSA) and now all of a sudden the error isn’t occurring. It is very weird. Maybe everyone just try changing a few settings, restarting the engine and then changing them back to their original state. Dunno if it’ll work and dunno if this was even the fix for me, but I hope it might help some of you :smile:

thanks fixed for me!

Im having the same problem
Ryzen 9 5900X
3080 TI
64GB RAM

I start the application and open a project and it crashes and reads

LoginId:
EpicAccountId:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000018

nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
D3D12Core
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Also having this issue. I have tried everything. What I do know, is that this always coincides with the GPU spiking to 100% for a split second in Task Manager.
I’ve tried:
-Under volting
-Turning off Hardware accelerated graphics in Windows settings
-Adding the time delays in RegEdit
-Running the program in very low specs
-Closing out of MSI Afterburner (Don’t have Riva)
-Updating everything
-Changing FPS

I’m yet to try NVIDIA Studio, but others say they still have this issue with it.

i9-11900K
RTX3080
32GB Ram
Z590 Auros Extrem

Really need this to work.

yeah, got the same problem but only after i upgraded to windows 11.
in win 10, UE5 was running smooth and no crashes at all for me
(using a gtx 3080)

2 Likes

Yep same for me, crashes every 5 min on my 3070 on win 11

1 Like

Yeah, ever since when I got a new pc with rtx 3060 ti, I kept trying to use my project to create somethings. And every few mins, the gpu crashed debug d3d device keeps showing up too many times. And I don’t know if it’s anything have to do with my fans, or the nvidia studio driver gpu. I don’t know what to do to fix this problem. And it looks like we current of us people definitely needs some help with issue :pensive::pensive::pensive:

I had to switch to Vulkan from d3d12 to avoid crashes.

Something with d3d12, UE5, Windows11 makes the d3d device to get removed in heavy scenes.

1 Like

Same for me with 3060ti. UE5 Early access was fine, and this started happening with preview.