UE5 gpu crashed or d3d device removed

Thanks, this worked for me.

I didn’t get the GPU crash on my RTX3090 until upgrading to Windows 11 yesterday.

EDIT: I guess I still have the issue, it just crashed on me, just took longer to happen.

I’m also experiencing same issue and I’m on Windows 11 and have a 3080.
I was getting the error within 5 minutes of starting a project, even if it was empty one.

What I found out is if you limit the FPS in NVIDIA Control panel on unrealeditor.exe
It significantly reduced the amount of errors I got.

Also enabling Virtual Texture is helping to reduce the frequency of the error on a busy project

Unfortunately it’s not fixing the problem but at list I’m able to work on my projects.
Just need to remember to save frequently.

If anyone have any additional suggestions that may help I’ll be happy to hear them.

1 Like

Same exact thing for me. Windows 11 and a 3090ti, latest drivers, constant crashes. I switched to Vulkan as the default RHI for the project, toggled off all the rest of directx options and I haven’t had a crash in the past two weeks.

But except, if you switch to vulkan, the nanite triangles are gonna look messed up. Because it’s only supports dx12. So there really isn’t much any solved problem situation to this issue at all :pensive:. And it just makes me feel stressed and upset

It has to do with windows 11. i went back to windows 10 and have no more problems. you shouldnt have to cap framerate or underclock hardware, that cant be a solution. just go back to windows 10, the windows 11 license allows you to install windows 10 no problem.

3 Likes

thanks fixed for me too!

Thanks fixed for me too!

Copy-paste from other posts on the topic: Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost.

Thanks, at least i don’t have BSOD and every 5 minutes crashes. And “D3D Removed” now really appears really rarely.

Disabling G-Synch in NVIDEA control panel did the trick for me.

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t even need to close it, just create a profile for UnrealEditor.exe with “On-screen display support” turned off.

4 Likes

Same!!
Thanx for found this masterkey!!!
Greatings from Zurich

I you are not in the above situation and still encounter crashes even after changing TdrDelay and TdrDdiDelay, try to set TdrLevel registry value located in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers to 0

According to microsoft it will disable auto recovery of the gpu (by virtually unpluging and repluging it I suppose). In my case it fixed crashes when I was trying to exit VR Preview using Oculus Link. Also had the issue fixed when pushing big changes trough source control, for some reasons the driver was crashing as well.

1 Like

Thanks - this solved problem for me on Win 11 + RTX3090.

Okay, I just don’t understand that how this solution worked for some current people. And it didn’t work for me. This is just some BS. There’s just nothing else that I can do about it anymore. I’m just feeling depressed now. I’m probably gonna have to stay away from unreal engine 5. Until whoever person in the industry can fix this. So the d3d removed error can be gone forever

1 Like

@Joshuab_artist I had the same issue. I updated to Windows 11 and then UE5 kept crashing my 3090. I tried everything I could find in the forum. Edits to registry, uninstall afterburner, added UnrealEditer.exe to RivaTuner, switched to studio version of Nvidia’s drivers, changes to Nvidia Control Panel, and updated Nvidia’s latest driver that mentioned performance fixes for the UE5 editor.

Nothing worked, so I edited the c++ files that @TarlRaney mentioned in the third post in this thread. I had to “cherry pick” some lines of code from the files as just copying the full files from GitHub caused build errors in Visual Studio.

Here is a link to the files that I use. They are from 5.03 release branch with the added lines of code. If you are using the source files and compile the engine, this should fix it. It may still be a workaround, but I have had zero crashes since I changed these lines of code.

Credit goes to @TarlRaney for providing the links and dyanikoglu for creating the fixes on GitHub.

Just extract the zip into the root folder of the engine, overwriting the files that are there and then compile (there are 5 files in the zip).

UE5.03_D3D_Hung_fix.zip (98.2 KB)

3 Likes

So you saying that I could copy of the 5 files, and pasted into the unreal engine 5 folder? @Sarlack

@Joshuab_artist only if you use the UE5 source files from GitHub to compile the engine. If you downloaded the editor from the launcher it will not work. If you do use the launcher, I may be able to get the compiled files, but I have no way of testing. So I am not sure I will be able to find all the needed files.

Will just to let you know. I had downloaded the unreal engine 5 from github. And I tried to compile it’s build source. And I didn’t able to work. Because it had said error. So I just couldn’t continue on with it again. And deleted it. And also plus the downloading github zip file of unreal engine 5 takes way too long. So just forget about it. But thanks for trying tho. And um quick question. When you open the unreal engine 5 while you be playing around with your projects. Do you also have a browser opened as will too at the same time?. Because when I be having the unreal engine 5, and my Opera GX Browser open. My browser does take up a lot of memory usage on my task manager. And I know that unreal engine 5 has a lot of memory usage too. And I don’t know if that causes the GPU d3d removed debug error crash problem. And the reason I like to keep both open because when I be building 3d designs on unreal engine 5, I be checking some images that I can find on the internet to see some references that I like look for in their too. And I don’t know if you do the same thing too or not @Sarlack

@Joshuab_artist I have several programs open when using the editor and no problems. But I have an AMD 5950k and 64gb of ram, so if you are using a lower end machine, it is possible to have too many programs open at once.

I believe the D3D HUNG error has to do with Windows 11 and Nvidia drivers not playing nice with each other on some video cards. When the Unreal Editor or some Unreal games are in this environment, the card can crash.

If you want to give the compiled/built file a try, here is the link.
1st. Update to version 5.0.3 in the launcher if not already done.
2nd. I would suggest backing up the UE5\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealEditor-D3D12RHI.dll file before trying this.
3rd. Extract the zip to the installed folder of the editor and let it overwrite the .dll file.
I am not sure if this will work because there may be other files that were effected/hooked during the build. If it doesn’t work, replace the .dll file from your backup.

UE5.0.3_D3D_Hung_fix_compiled.zip (875.7 KB)

2 Likes