UE5 gpu crashed or d3d device removed

Oh no, I don’t have a lower end. I got a high end. And my graphics card is rtx 3060ti. But, I’ll try it out to see if it works. Oh and by the way, how do I backup my d3d12rhi.dll file?. Do I copy and paste on a backup folder that I can create?. Oh and also another thing, should I close the editor before I do anything else too? @Sarlack

@Joshuab_artist just copy the file and paste it some where else on the computer. yes close the editor

1 Like

@Sarlack Okay, cool. Oh and by the way, I had been on 5.0.3 the whole time when the update version came around. Just to let you know :+1:

@Sarlack Okay, I had made a backup, and switch the new d3d12rhi.dll from d3d hung fix to the unreal engine 5 editor folder. So should I launch the engine from epic games launcher now to see if anything works?. Oh and also, is 16gb ram good enough to have unreal editor and browser both programs opened?

@Joshuab_artist yes, start the engine how you normally do. You should be able to open both the engine and the browser at the same time. You could check the minimum and recommend requirement for the engine to see if your ram is good. My guess is if you have more than recommended the you should be able to open addition programs.

1 Like

@Sarlack Will I do have 16gb ram. And the recommended hardware memory for ue5 is 8gb ram. And I have seen people on their YouTube videos that be using 16gb ram for unreal engine 5. Which it seems totally fine for me. So I just hope nothing happens on the unreal editor :crossed_fingers:t5::grimacing:

Hi everyone,
This problem started for me as of UE 5.0.3.
I’m running an RTX 2080 ti with 11GB memory, an i9-9900x cpu and 64gm of RAM.
Before I could run 2 seperate projects in UE5 with lumens and nanite running with no issues.
Since the update even with a basic scene I get the dread D3D crash.

Some notes:
I profiled my GPU during the crash and found that unreal memory usage spiked from 5000mb to 11000mb, which I think maxes out my VRAM, causing the full system crash.

I have tried registry edits, reinstalling ue5, updating/installing studio AND game ready driver from nvidia. Not seems to work, however as people have stated, it seems to be an issue with dx12.
Switching to dx11 or vulkan seems to solve the issue but no nanite or lumens. I tried reverting back to dx12 with nanite and lumens disabled, but selecting a camera or taking a screenshot causes an instant crash.

Could this be some sort of memory leak, or memory processing problem inside ue5?
Im on the cusp of reinstalling windows but thought I’d throw in my two cents, I’ll provide an update after the install to see if that helps, but at the moment I think this is a serious problem with ue5’s utilisation of VRAM.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/uploads/short-url/q2x7oamoQBUvYu0iMHLXfEPZCyy.zip

@Aazmatazz Try This Link to download the D3D hung fix. Oh and before you do, here’s some steps that’ll help you out.

1. Click this link to download the zip file. Extract the zip file folder :file_folder: :open_file_folder:

2. If I were you, I would suggest backing up the UE5\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealEditor-D3D12RHI.dll before trying this. So just copy the UnrealEditor-D3D12RHI.dll file, And paste it into a new folder that you create. And copy the hung fix dll file from the downloaded folder. And paste the UnrealEditor-D3D12RHI.dll hung file fix into unreal editor binaries win64 folder.

3. After when you done with all of that, try it out to see if it works for you so far. If it doesn’t work, replace the .dll file from your backup.

1 Like

@Joshuab_artist so I am guessing the file I compiled worked? You didn’t reply that is was OK or not.

Oh sorry. Um, it’s been working okay so far. But um, it kinda frozen and crash one time. At least the d3d error message didn’t pop up this time. But um, other then that, it’s been working alright so far @Sarlack

Hey @Joshuab_artist, can you confirm if the solution provided by @Sarlack worked? I keep running into a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET error anywhere between 3-12 hours on DX11 and within 30 minutes on DX12. It’s frustrating to say the least.

It would be really interesting to know which windows version everyone is using here. Win 10 or Win 11. My problems disappeared after going back to Win 10. I have Intel 12900 and 3080ti.

What Windows version are you guys using?

@yogeshCh42 I know that the source files I put a link for work, I haven’t had a crash in over a month. It is only a fix for DX12. You could give the compiled .dll file a try if you use the launcher version and see if it works. Look for my previous posts in this thread for the links and instructions.

@julschau I had no problems with Windows 10, the D3D Hung error started right after I upgraded to Windows 11.

@julschau I have this issue and I’m still running Windows 10 with UE 5.02 (DX12) on an Alienware (no MSI/Riva) with an RTX 3090 and 64GB ram. Intermittent regular crashes, seemingly unrelated to the complexity of the scene.

I found the issue only occurs when I have Support Hardware Raytracing enabled and when Metahumans are in the level.

Unfortunately, disabling hardware raytracing or switching to DX11 or Vulcan are suboptimal solutions since the quality of my cinematic renders greatly suffers.

Hoping 5.1 fixes it!

1 Like

Yes, It actually been working alright for quite awhile for me. Just try it out, and to see if it’s been working okay with you @yogeshCh42. Here’s the download link that @Sarlack send me https://forums.unrealengine.com/uploads/short-url/q2x7oamoQBUvYu0iMHLXfEPZCyy.zip

Really appreciate the work you guys put in trying to help us out!

Unfortunately, the new DLL that @Joshuab_artist forwarded from @Sarlack did not work for me :frowning: - the crash persists. The only thing so far that has worked for me is disabling Support Hardware Raytracing in my project settings. Such a shame because Hardware Raytracing looks so much better in my renders.

1 Like

No worries @daleicious. We’ll keep figuring out a new way of it to fix this issue. And bypassing it

1 Like

Hey guys,

Turns out all I had to do was close my RivaTuner Statistics Application - and that solved my issues here.

Hey guys, I solved this issue by changing my rendering API to Vulkan. It required a couple of driver updates (511.65 to 516.25) but it’s working perfectly now. Hope it helps some of you.

Lots of RTX people here. I’ll try the dll.
I figured I’d add that this is also a problem on Intel iRIS Xe integrated graphics.