UE5 final version will be released until 2022? What’s on your wishlist?

I have something to wish for:
While painting foliage, it would be nice if the selected foliage thumbnails where more obvious. They are highlighted but it’s not enough to distinguished selected from unselected. Please add a red background thumbnail or something. That would be nice. And by the way, correct the bug while erasing. The meshes go all crazy, but I bet this was already taken care of.

I actually didn’t liked the human models in the Matrix demo, I recognized fake versions in a second, also I found animations robotic, expressions did not have details, wrinkles, they also tried to avoid Trinity to move her head because the neck also did not have bending details, still I felt Neo was worst than trinity in terms of neck realism, lip movement when talking 100% robotic, 3° character in the vehicle, really fake, Cinematic… top notch, I liked it a lot, but animation and models, not really; I think for cinematics, Maya-Zbrush are still champs because of the amount control, customization and layers of realism and I understand how hard is to make hair, not as it was back in the day, today it’s easier in Maya, and I LOVE the new groom system in UE4, it only need optimization improvements.

If you only need it for Cinematics, maybe you can combine both, use metahuman for full body camera shots, dolly out, and Maya-Zbrush models for closeups, you don’t need the entire body, just hands and face-torso, cinematics always have high FPS (UE4), so don’t worry about detailed face and hand meshes, you can also use the meta human hair in Maya models, in UE4.

The only thing I find difficult about human creation (Maya-Zbrush) is eyes, not even animation, actually James C. invested, I believe 1 million dollars just for an eye expression research, before Avatar.

I have not seen the Matrix demo yet. Maybe they did not add a lot of facial rig in matrix demo.

I can always go back to iclone character creator, with all the details and bring them into unreal and use meta human hair. I am not much of a character modeler.

Yes eyes are difficult but iclone handles eyes animation well.

I am creating a big town right now using megascans and objects from Zbrush and royalty free props. Once I finish that I will start testing meta-human and iclone character creator with unreal, to check out which works best for me by making very small video ads. Only then I will be sure what kind of cinematics can be done or that I have to go back to Maya.

Cool, watch it: The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience - YouTube, the Cinematics (sequencer) are really fantastic, It starts with a Keanu video, then Carrie Anne, then it continues with the multiplied ugly puppets walking like zombies… I found too many issues in the 3 main character models and animation, specially inside the vehicle, I felt they looked way too fake, for example when Trinity said the “Unreal” phrase… wow I found that animation so bad, almost no skin texturing, no wrinkles at all, not even in the neck… it was so terribly fake, it couldn’t survive the close up, and it has glasses on, so not risk of showing bad eye design, still felt weird LOL, and Neo looked like an scary moving puppet,

but I do loved the Cinematics, fantastic, camera placement, angles, effects, all that was great, the vehicle had a great sense of movement, lights were OK, dressing of the scene great.

Saw half of it.

I think they have used that mobile app to catch the facial mocap, that is why it is so rigid, instead of animating it properly. Eyes have no movement at all.

They have put too much emphasis on the cinematics, VFX and post effects, rather than character animation.

Let me see what I can cook up with metahuman, I still have to go through the rigging tutorial of UE.

1 : Planar Reflections (like windows glasses) with translucency made easy light and lumen full compatible
2 : Add a slider to control the lumen Gi Saturation would be really amazing
3 : Please don’t remove displacement in the materials (the new mesh displace is really great but the possibility to have it in the material is also very practicle)
4 : Add DLSS in render queue with possibility to set screen size at 100%
5 : quicker compilations

Wishlist:
Nanite enabled world position offset. ( mainly for foliage movement and shader based offset like snow and moss buildup)
Ability to convert final landscape into tiled nanite meshes for lumen compatibility.

1 Like

I’ve noted some features really anoying for me :

no DLSS in renderQueue
Flickering in shadows
Flickering in Gi
Flickering close to a wall or ground (or other horizontal objects almost hidden by the perspective aligned to the point of view)
Lumen stability when moving

maybe it could be great to have access to more controls with sliders rather than console variables commands ( Simple sliders in PostProcess or lights To have a better acces to Lumen, DFAO, distances of shadows and reflections )

2 Likes

Somes wishes mostly for characters :slight_smile:

Unreal:

• Better tools for physics weight painting for cloth simulation.
  • Cloth designer in pair with the physics tools.
  • Integrated export and import workflow (materials, textures and models) with Quixel Mixer.
  • Skin weight transfert (inside unreal) (skeletal mesh or somewhere else) for custom body parts.
  • A way to set min max lods per element inside the skeletal mesh or in the lods manager inside the blueprint.

Metahumans:

• More metahuman finished hair (at least three goom levels and better cards lods).
  • A way to control a little bit the hair length (while keeping the choised hairstyle).
  • Able to set different proportions per body part.
  • Add a various levels of muscular body and body fat.
  • Body moving and sculpting tool (like the ones for the face).
  • Allow more stylized overall character design.

Metahuman while beeing new player in the character controlled creation can be pride and have no shame about what they deliver as beta.
This solution it is on my point of view a game changer for individual creator and small project who dont have the expertise and knowledge to create complex characters at this level of realisme.
If not, except for the hard way (doing all just by itself) for who can, there is also Daz studio and Character Creator who produce high level character too, with some price tag and limitations and easily recognizable design style.

My thought About the Matrix demo.
Lumen and Nanite work well in this city environment, where static meshes are the main content. The reflexions are well managed (just few flickering jumps on the eyes).
The simulation result ginve me hope for Chaos and the use of Metahumans at big scale.

The demo is simply relly nice and prefigure what amazing level of quality is coming for games and interactives experiences.
Of course this is a tech demo about a unreleased engine and is more like a picture of the current stage of dev with all the good and the limitations for now.
A lot of thinks in this demo can be subjets at long talk and even as beauty as the demo can be, the overall desing is Matrix style which is less diverse and voluntary “unreal”.
The crowd (cars and metahumans) are unsurprisingly and probably by design lifeless in this demo, and there is also some absentees like the trees and other foliages for example …
And it is also need to remember that the demo is about interactive experience which is more close to gaming compromises than full cinema expenses for a single hand crafted shot.

The facial animation of the main characters are definitely a little rigid and truly unemotional, but, for me the breaking point which make me lose the magic with the demo was more the storytelling … But it is a subjective topic.

2 Likes

Yes I agree 100%, I also liked the vehicle deformations and broken glass.

I also agree, but since this is not a real game, just a demo I can understand the level of development being low, and EPIC trying to impress with buildings, and vehicle dynamics, since IA doesn´t seem like a focus of attention for years.

True, but actually I did like the story telling in terms of being in fact related to Matrix 4, I think… If I had seen the demo first I wouldn´t like it either, but since I did watch the movie first, and the M4 game was kind of a joke in there, I do liked the demo version, right when it started I did not like it… but I remembered that was in fact the story in M4… so it is not Epic´s fault LOL

and I also liked the “sexy” explosive action… that phrase from the demo felt so much fun from Trinity… LOL

My only wish is this:

I mean, I do have more wishes, but nothing brings me as much of a frustration when using UE than this ^

2 Likes

Hi,

Yes, me too i like the deformations on the cars, they are great looking, rich, diverse, progressive and localized.

Little details to moderate the compliments flow :

• The deformations are not accurate regardless to the force of the collision (small contact can create exaggerate damage and vice versa.
  • The weight of the car are not correct, the hit cars can easily pass over the player car or fly to much on impact, and in this case the player car do not lose a lot velocity too.

Yes totally, having complex civilian crowd is not the goal in this demo, but Epic make me impatient to try the metahuman in such scenario and push the boundary.

Glad you like it, of course it is right that the demo are linked to the M4 movie, and yes there is nothing reason to think Epic are involved or responsible about the storytelling.
My comment was more about the current message signature unfortunately present in all modern storytelling. And the unflavoured pseudo gameplay, but, as in my post, i do not follow up on this aspect of the topic, it is to subjective.
Also is a little off the road of the wishes list for UE5 :slight_smile:

Wishlist:

• Packaging can be a lot faster by only ‘compiling’ those assets that are changed. And the option to package selected assets ie select assets in editor and then right click, package selected. And even better, a command line which will package assets in the parameter.

• Script that is as able as blueprint. One of the major gripes with blueprints are the spaghettii can build up quite fast and also not that direct to diff (I know there is at least a way but text-diff is much better).

• Deterministic physics. I read somewhere that chaos will be ‘somewhat’ or better than physicx in deterministic area but it is not plug and play. Not plug and play deterministic is okay for me too - I am used to tinker with c++ source code so as long as there is guide toward deterministics, I am very happy.

• Lastly, less bug… lol.

1 Like

Re: script equivalent for BP, wouldn’t that be Verse? Or at least, I hope it is!

I feel like the action cinematics in Matrix Awakens demo, they were actually much better than the vehicle cinematics … not sure if 2 different people were directing them, but the in-vehicle cinematics, I found them very amateur, basic camera rules not applied, acting felt either rigid or too intense, not natural at all, BUT… on the other side, the vehicle action cinematics felt well done and I professional, and maybe this caused the metahumans to look worst, because sometimes I felt like this was directed by a photographer rather than a director.

I still fell that reviewing this demo is relevant here, because we all are trying to figure out how UE5 is going to be… and that’s like a good example of the pros and cons, still under development of course.

Right now, my biggest Wishlist topics are lights and FPS… even the demo scene with a few meshes loads with a really low framerate… really bad, at first I though it was an alienated thing, then I found lots of comments and even youtube videos saying that UE5 preview had bad performance, some videos have engine comparisons:

and then, my second one are lights… I have found soo many issues with shadows, lots of artifacts and problems; and people usually respond to this by saying: just disable all the new features like lumen and nanite, but I don’t believe that’s an answer because if so, what’s the point of using UE5 then… nice retractile panels? after those two, I would have all my original topics and wishes.

1 Like

Hi,

Yes in deed, this forum has also some various thread about both of this topics.
For me i think the lumen and nanite demos on console completely blur this topic about pc.
Because they are specifically optimized for console and their specific shaders, rtx or equivalent, and dedicate hardware, amd gpu and super fast custom drives etc.
I guess the pc are not sharing this luxury due to the variety of hardware and concurrent tech… that why this demos are not available on pc.

On pc, the awesome sample project “The Valley Of The Ancient” require high end pc to at least run smoothly and benefit of the best visual.

But, all this evolve slowly or fastly and until they release an official UE5 beta cycle on the Epic Launcher, we can only get any progress they made by building and testing the current dev branchs on github, which is an other topic on his own.

1 Like

I have a high end gaming PC, AMD… and UE5 runs terrible bad, not even talking about “The Valley Of The Ancient”… worst than unplayable, so for now, I´m going to stick to UE4, and IF UE5 is released as bad, I will have to wait until the end of 2022 so they are able to fix it, but I hope it will be released without such a bad performance, because I do want to use the new features.

I have a simple request. In the Niagara effect node, it would be great to have the subsections indented to the right, like so:

It would make it a lot simple to read.

7 Likes

Unlink Alt+click navigation from the “camera speed” setting. Like all other 3d apps :slight_smile:

A steering assist feature for Chaos Vehicles similar to games like CarX drift racing, Assetto Corsa Competizione and Assoluto Racing would be fantastic

1 Like