UE5 final version will be released until 2022? What’s on your wishlist?

Great idea, and the preview icons also do not update quickly,

but I wish it also had a material randomization option, instead of adding the same tree model again and again just to vary their materials (colors and textures) we could have an option to include secondary materials and decide the percentage of randomization.

Landscape materials should also be able to hold 20+ layers too as default, right now after 8, you need a lot of material skills to make it up to 16, after that they start to fail when you package the project, and sometimes landscapes, specially on islands, they require lots of layers.

I’ve noted some features really anoying for me :

• no DLSS in renderQueue
  • Flickering in shadows
  • Flickering in Gi
  • Flickering close to a wall or ground (or other horizontal objects almost hidden by the perspective aligned to the point of view)
  • Lumen stability when moving

maybe it could be great to have access to more controls with sliders rather than console variables commands ( Simple sliders in PostProcess or lights To have a better acces to Lumen, DFAO, distances of shadows and reflections )

2 Likes

Chaos Vehicles :star_struck:

For any wheeled vehicle, and bicycle, and train, and aircraft, and hovercraft, and spaceship and …
:thinking: Wait a minute, do the sheeps fly ? … no matter, they probably like it.

:roll_eyes: ok … i joke ! … for the flying sheeps :yum:

BIG YES… I wish we had more checkboxes in UE4 and parameters instead of using so many console commands (fps, stats, disable-enable messages, shadows, lights, volumetric, samples…etc), sometimes I find it hard to latter figure out what is causing an issue, and after testing a lot I find out it was a console command applied a year ago.

1 Like

:slight_smile: LOL,

just imagine if we could spawn Niagara BP IA, and I don’t mean insects and fish… everything… things like culling would be so easy, with a low fps and massive amounts of IA around the map.

Gameplay Ability System more blueprint friendly (So adding/making the attributes in blueprint instead of C++ or even a companion application that will generate the required C++ hooks easier)

I have watched several videos / presentations on GAS and still found it tricky to try and implement.

1 Like

Proper RT HW acceleration for Lumen so it’s running faster.

Non existent or much faster shader compiling

2 Likes

Would be nice to have nested TArray support in BP.

2 Likes

I hope for Chaos runtime support is improved, like we will be able to place structures at runtime instead of only in editor, and they’ll let you move pieces kinematically instead of physically, like you can just set their transforms where you want them to be, parent them, etc. I want to make rebuilding in my game after you destroy something.

1 Like

That would be fantastic for Cinematics, we would be able to choose how a building falls for instance, instead of blow up the building in a random fashion,

Still UE5 default empty scene FPS is very bad with Lumen, and I hope Epic is able to fix it.

Also, so that way I could place buildings at runtime and use them like any other destructable piece, like say if I wanted people able to build a bunker which could be destroyed.

And also controlled kinematically so players could say pick up and throw away the broken off pieces too.

1 : Planar Reflections (like windows glasses) with translucency made easy light and lumen full compatible
2 : Add a slider to control the lumen Gi Saturation would be really amazing
3 : Please don’t remove displacement in the materials (the new mesh displace is really great but the possibility to have it in the material is also very practicle)
4 : Add DLSS in render queue with possibility to set screen size at 100%
5 : quicker compilations

2 Likes

Yes, I prefer sliders and checkboxes, than keep using commands.

Dear Epic games developers. Please add the ability to import multiple Vertex Color layers into UE 5, with the ability to select each one. This simplifies the process of texturing nanite models, since albedo can be drawn on one Vertex Color layer, roughness on another, metalness on the third, etc. And connect all these layers to the corresponding pin in the material. In fact, these will be the same PBR textures, but only through the Vertex color in the nanite model. And this technique is very beneficial, since Vertex Color layers will take up much less memory in terms of volume than the same PBR textures in png or tga format. And with this method, it becomes possible to easily test high-poly nanite objects without the need to create a uv map. I hope they will hear me, thank you for your attention.

2 Likes

I agree! but when you work in a pipeline (teamwork) UV maps are important, specially for updates, etc, maybe adding a well made UV tool (like Maya), would be a greater idea.

I just need that editor doesn’t crash too much when I compile c++ from Visual Studio.
The editor crashes 1 out of 3 times when I compile…

In my experience with UE4… I have never had a crash while compiling:::EVER, BUT, I do have had errors causing the compile to stop even in an early stage (during packaging), sometimes plugin related, that’s why I don’t like to use marketplace plugins… somehow most of them work great in the engine, but I don’t think developers are making packaging test, If UE5 is crashing during packaging or compiling, there is no way, any external asset or plugin could be causing this, because marketplace developers are not allowed to update their assets for UE5 yet,

Maybe it is related to material changes in the engine, Nanite, Lumen, Chaos or a beta plugin,

My biggest concern is actually FPS, even if UE5 is released next month, if the default map starts with 40 to 60FPS… I won’t use it, because UE5 is between 30 to 40FPS right now in my gamer PC, while UE4 is way over 200FPS with a default scene, and if the only solution is to turn off Lumen and Nanite… then there is no point on using UE5 just yet, but maybe you should try to disable those features and then compile, just to run that test, but the fact that two sided geometries can’t cast shadows, or getting terrible shadows now and no displacement, is like a big no… I’m actually appreciating UE4 more these days, it is a masterpiece, I really hope UE5 is as great as it should.

1. Updated and completed documentation for all nodes.

2. Presets in the project settings, such as “Lite” where everything fancy has been turned off.

3. UE5 on cloud instances and a co-op with Starlink & Chromebook so that homeless people, humans in abject poverty and refugees can start using Unreal where they currently “live.”

4. Cloud GPU access for compiling shaders, C++, rendering and other heavy things for low spec users.

5. Stylised MetaHumans. → Prediction: EPIC will acquire https://readyplayer.me

6. Procedural Animation based on character attributes: Prediction: EPIC acquires a third party already doing it.

7. A revolution in implementing AI. → Prediction: EPIC acquires a third party already doing it.

2 Likes

1* 100% Needed… sometimes I have no idea what some nodes do, and I have to run lots of crazy tests, they all should have like a bubble with all their info in the engine and a link for more info, great idea.

5* I still don’t understand the big deal with metahuman, If you are a designer, making a base mesh in Maya or blender, and sculpt it in Zbrush or any other, is a 1 time process, and you can continue to use that mesh all the time, and just edit face features and body shape, and it will be a mesh created for your own needs… thousands of tutorials available, even per free, you also have DAZ 3D with great base meshes and this software exists since 20 years ago, you just have to dedicate time to make your human model realistic or stylized, even animation and expression is not that difficult, but you can also get free MOCAP, honestly it has more benefits for you, because you learn a lot from the designer perspective, for your resume, your projects, and you have models with the exact poly count you need, in the exact mesh areas you want, and even with far more control over the final look.

7* I don’t understand why people keep using behavior trees…, it’s an easy, fast method of AI (like metahuman), but extremely expensive for the engine, once you reach 250 in a close radius, your crown manager starts failing (even increasing the minimum) and FPS can drop dramatically; instead, you can create AI with just 1 single tick in an actor blueprint, and a smarter one too, no C++ needed, all nodes are right there, and then, populate the scene with thousands of IA with a lower cost.

Honestly, if IA has 1 fault, It will be, to be able to navigate in all directions and have gravity in all directions in UE (not just Z), that would be a massive game changer… bigger than Nanite and Lumen combined, just imagine the possibilities, yes, there is a few plugins, but they either fail after packaging or you need their developer to update them - fix issues, and maybe they do it after several months LOL.

I am just talking about the metahuman part -

I believe it is needed. I am a designer and modeler, who wishes to create only cinematic movies. I cannot waste time in Zbrush and blender to create an average model, when I can get good quality model right out of the bat with metahuman.

I already have iclone character creator, I can use that as well to import inside unreal.

But zbrush or character creator eats a lot of time. I would prefer metahuman, simply because I can create a realistic human with groom effects, without shuffling through software.

Yes if I have to create a creature or an alien, I will go with zbrush. ( Do not forget we have to rig it also in maya or blender)

Unreal needs to up the metahuman game with more avatars and clothes. With mocaps from miaxmo and daz, we can do wonderful animations with it.

1 Like