Hi, a long time ago, it was said that UE5 final version will be released in 2021, now there is information that UE5 (final version or 5.0.1) will take longer, releasing until 2022, is it true?
The problem is that UE5 is only in an early access stage, not production ready, and neither Chaos or Apex are guaranteed for UE5 final version; Chaos is still really bad with FPS, honestly useless, but Apex even though FPS is way better and easier to use it does causes drops over time, this uncertainty makes that projects requiring destruction to be delayed, also because it was said, that converting UE4 projects to UE5 was not going to be possible… so, regardless the final destruction system and not being production ready yet, this delay affects any project wanting to use or convert to UE5, because we cannot start with UE4.26 or UE5 early version, and another big issue is that not any market place plugin and asset is going to update to UE5, until the final version is released.
Some recommendations (wishlist):
- Please enable Nanite for painted foliage, two sided materials - geometries (Foliage is a bigger issue than rocks and statues… same reason why there was no foliage in the UE5 trailer and preview map…).
- Allow Nanite for VR (not sure if it works with mobile yet).
- Improve widgets to use giff animations.
- Improve widgets for easy gamepad navigation.
- Allow custom Input gamepad button “names”, for Xbox controllers, etc (this will also allow us to easy localize languages for them)
- Enable gravity to any direction (or material based) with IA navigation, not just up-down.
- Niagara is still highly demanding, maybe we could create high quality effects in Niagara and just convert them into flipbooks in Niagara, instead of importing flipbook textures, that would make the engine 100% free from FPS drops, and poor quality effects for mobile and VR.
- Import Z axis option, for Maya designers, always having trouble with the correct Up axis.
- Multi Paint Layers for regular meshes, instead of vertex painting (why keep using vertex, when we could just paint the UVs as we do in Substance Painter)
- Please improve the Groom hair-feather system for better optimization, LODs (maybe the amount of hairs can be reduced from distance or stop dynamics after a max distance), better hair color control and materials.
- Please improve the sequencer, so we can stop a sequence at any time (In-game) and make actors to stay in that position but, also be able to rewind (reset) that paused cinematic so the player can start it from cero again and again after it was paused in the end, currently it returns to 0 without pause, and if you pause it, you cant rewind it (reset), there is no “Play from 0 or an specific time”.
- New opacity option, to vanish actors from the scene gradually 100% to 0%, right now we only have on/off visibility options in the sequencer and blueprints, there is no easy way to gradually hide actors for a period of time.
- Play a movie clip from the sequencer, full screen, HD, without using planes in the scene, just a play button option to visualize videos in the sequencer or to add VFX and music in UE an perfectly sync them with the pre-rendered movie; right now using image planes causes other effects in the scene, fog or lights to damage the video quality and colors and also… rendering a movie from the sequencer, including an image plane creates playback errors, rewinding… and lag on an avi clip or image sequences.
- Improve sequencer rendering, not enough video output formats, not even H.264, uncompressed avi files end up huge (a 2 minute sequence renders to almost 300GB), image sequences can come out with lag and there is not an efficient way to record gameplay from UE, we have to rely on external software to either codify videos and then try to match timing with screen recordings.
- Actor blueprints with their own sequencers (same way we already have it for widgets), so we can trigger local animations for BP characters, ¿why such intense programing and math calculations for simple things? a sequencer inside the actor blueprint can make it work in a few seconds, this would be helpful for making games more dynamic, easier but also to reduce long development times.
- Be able to add several exponential height fogs and only affecting a radius, it would be very useful for Cinematics; instead of editing the same one from blueprints, and not be able to preview changes unless In-Game.
- Tessellation close to camera is a must, it is very helpful for landscapes (and large landscapes… are really expensive)
- More than 3 lighting channels please!