UE5 final version will be released until 2022? What’s on your wishlist?

I agree, it becomes a bit confusing

Having tested out the most recent (stable) UE5_main build, I know many of the performance bugs are solved, especially around HW Lumen and emissive lighting stability. With Nanite, the new Strata materials system (found plugins and docs, could be wrong about what it is), single-pass VSMs, and some experimental lumen tech, It looks like new scenes could be rasterized, texured, shadowed and receive GI in about four (cheap) passes.

Feeling that a few of these will be largely solved problems after optimizations and bug-fixing, what I would really love is Lumen to have some (even hack-y) way to pick up SingleLayerWater. The scene’s GI acting like a massive body of water just isn’t there stands out rather aggressively in my tests. Also, and I know this is a lot to ask, but some improved solution for translucency. Lumen’s radiance cache can fix light leaking on translucent objects, but it still stands out a lot when an opaque surface receiving HW lumen reflections is next to a glass window.

And just for kicks, I’d love it if you would add in the SPH solver Asher Zhu demonstrated in his fluid sim video. It’s an amazing effect and I see some very practical uses for it in a few different effects.

3 Likes

Is this thread like a wishlist for Santa? :'D lol. These things are on mine as items that would make a huge difference

• Nanite functional for foliage. Yeah desert rocks are cool, but how many games want to exclusively feature a barren field of rocks?
  • Tessellation brought back (or VHM to be at least very stable and as-easy to implement as tessellation was before tessellation is fully deprecated)
  • Water plugin to be finished and fully functional with with heightmap-based landscapes
  • Performance impovements
3 Likes

Exactly… Foliage instances and Foliage actors (placed with the instancer) are much more important than rocks, and sometimes the main reason why AAA games have low FPS, people care less about some ultra-detailed not moving dragon statues while playing, but foliage is an essential part of any game.

2 Likes

64-bit Coordinate System

Better and deeper documentation of templates shipping with the editor.
They are very usefulll, but lack of full documentation made them harder to change and adapt over specific projects.
Also support for better editor widget and more acces to editor functions to build custom interface. Many editor task like fast selection and change multiple options are a real pain in the world outliner…

3 Likes

hat’s exactly why I though a better solution is to have brief info in every node or parameter in Unreal as soon as you hover and a link to the right documentation (this is not even new, lots of software use it)

What would be of much value is example code, much like Microsoft documentation, almost every class has a small code example on how to use it, and almost all properties/methods have a code example.

1 Like

I gonna ask directly for the impossible but here it is: lumen for VR

2 Likes

Bring back the support for displacement. It is so basic, that at least 50% the 3D world can not live without it.

4 Likes

Let us not forget a DAZ Studio like platform for the Metahumans, where creators can sell clothes and things on the Marketplace and it fits automatically, regardless of your Metahuman. → Adjust individual body parts like they have in Makehuman, and still, somehow it will just fit automatically.

1 Like

Large World Coordinates (LWC) are now enabled in ue5-main by default.

1 Like

plus community reply in it…

I think my top requests, starting with the most important:

• Reloading of C++ modules we can actually trust- Don’t make us restart the editor constantly, and don’t sacrifice what the user is allowed to change while doing it
  • Functionality (even if limited) for Lumen and Nanite in VR
  • Shaders from file- and a format we can load at runtime; Why shouldn’t we be able to build ShaderToy in UE?
  • On-target cooking system for desktop platforms

A 64-bit Coordinate System.

2 Likes

ok so theres suport to mirror uv’s , but it would be nice to have a feature to rotate the uv texture by ± 90 degrees , in the object properties rather than having to create seperate texture instances and textures for each rotation

You could probably do that in UE4 with PerInstanceCustomData or with blueprints.

Nanite has too many problems,it seems to have implanted a garbage.,I hope the official version can completely eliminate those problems

1 Like

This can’t be entirely true. We have already seen great demos using nanite, so it must work.

According to my test, Nanite not only does not support transparent masks, double-sided materials and various deformation animations, but also does not support the shadow of ray tracing and the channel setting of light, which is very annoying and angry. At present, I haven’t tested more applications, and it probably doesn’t support more functions. The interface operation of ue5 is obviously much more stuck than that of UE4, which is not smooth, Moreover, at 4K resolution, ue5 will often brush and explode the video memory, but there are not too many scene objects. My graphics card is 3070 8g video memory, but it is still not enough. This is also one of the annoying defects. I hope that the official version will completely eliminate these defects and make ue5 return to normal :unamused:

2 Likes