UE5-0 crashes when attempting to build the Third Person sample project

Steps to Replicate

1. Install UE 5.0 from the Epic Games Launcher
  2. Start UE 5.0 and create a C++ game using the Third Person template
  3. When the project opens, a prompt shows up saying the project file is out of date. Click update on the pop-up
  4. From the menu, go to Build → Build all Levels
  5. Select build HLODs in the dialogue that shows up when you initiate the build
  6. Click “Save Selected” when a dialogue pops up to save the PostProcessVolume and ThirdPersonMap
  7. The build continues and we see a message show up saying HLOD build completed with a lot of log output. Click “Ok” on this dialogue
    Result: The editor now crashes with the following stack trace
LoginId:8d18a9224da320fae814df965d45d5d3
EpicAccountId:97a8e87e68cd4d25a30b135d3aa7993b

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000000000000f0

UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_LevelEditor
UnrealEditor_LevelEditor
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore
user32
user32
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

Question: Do I have something misconfigured in my system? Or is this a bug in Unreal 5.0?
I am quite excited to start learning on the platform, so I’d very much appreciate some help fixing this.

same thing happing to me, i can build lighting and no crash sometimes but once i build all its crashing everytime

Update: I hoped that the solution mentioned here would fix the issue - UE5 Crash on building streaming texture - #8 by davisctools

But unfortunately even with this plugin enabled the same error occurs.

@adiswa123 Nah still crashing ;/

this can be related to this

or this

In case anyone is looking into this, I recently installed Editor Debugging symbols, and now have a proper stack trace

LoginId:8d18a9224da320fae814df965d45d5d3
EpicAccountId:97a8e87e68cd4d25a30b135d3aa7993b

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000000000000f0

UnrealEditor_CoreUObject!UObjectBaseUtility::GetPackage() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\UObjectBaseUtility.cpp:189]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!FBuildAllHandler::ProcessBuild() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorBuildUtils.cpp:1204]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!FEditorBuildUtils::EditorBuild() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorBuildUtils.cpp:499]
UnrealEditor_LevelEditor!FLevelEditorActionCallbacks::Build_Execute() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\LevelEditor\Private\LevelEditorActions.cpp:676]
UnrealEditor_LevelEditor!TBaseStaticDelegateInstance<void __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:731]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FUICommandList::ExecuteAction() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Commands\UICommandList.cpp:99]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SMenuEntryBlock::OnClicked() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\MultiBox\SMenuEntryBlock.cpp:1148]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SMenuEntryBlock::OnMenuItemButtonClicked() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\MultiBox\SMenuEntryBlock.cpp:1108]
UnrealEditor_Slate!TBaseSPMethodDelegateInstance<0,SMenuEntryBlock,1,FReply __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::Execute() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:290]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SButton::ExecuteOnClick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Widgets\Input\SButton.cpp:464]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SButton::OnMouseButtonUp() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Widgets\Input\SButton.cpp:389]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SMenuEntryButton::OnMouseButtonUp() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\MultiBox\SMenuEntryBlock.cpp:434]
UnrealEditor_Slate!<lambda_51e270ca99ea7ce852539efd04dd453f>::operator()() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:4961]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FEventRouter::Route<FReply,FEventRouter::FToLeafmostPolicy,FPointerEvent,<lambda_51e270ca99ea7ce852539efd04dd453f> >() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:405]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::RoutePointerUpEvent() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:4947]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseButtonUpEvent() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:5495]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseUp() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:5460]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:2210]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:2699]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:1078]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:916]
user32
user32
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsPlatformApplicationMisc::PumpMessages() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsPlatformApplicationMisc.cpp:138]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:5139]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:183]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:147]
UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:283]
UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:330]
UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\a01\_work\6\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

I really hope Epic is aware of this issue, would love to have this fixed.

cheers mate, not sure if they are. have not hurd anything for over a week now since it started so hopfully they do

Ok with the help of my new stack trace, I was able to find the bug report for Unreal Engine (one already exists) - UE-148515

Please see Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-148515)

I had this happen yesterday when making a Top Down C++ new project, it was crashing in build, even though I’ve done nothing but create the project.

I tried removing the extreme amount of plugins, like Android/iOS and others, but it still mentions Android Platform warnings and so on in UE5 Logs

If I do a manual package for Windows it will complete and build it, but then the package crashes, it’s trying to index something and getting a NULL ref, which is weird, it’s trying to find a file on d: drive

Assertion failed: Index != INDEX_NONE [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Public\Animation\AttributeTypes.h] [Line: 117] Missing operator for attribute, type IntergerAnimationAttribute was not registered previously

I hope it’s not a silly issue with a hardcoded drive of D: by accident, as I have a D: drive, and UE5 is not installed to it, the build is not on it, and so there is going to be a problem with attempting to make a virtual D: to unpack any Unreal Assets and such.

This has been fixed in Unreal Engine 5.0.2 hotfix
See this post for more details - 5.0.2 Hotfix Released