Building Hlods crashes editor

My freshly installed ue5 crashes every single time i build all levels, i’ve singled it down to building hlods and minimap

building hlods produces this

after it comes up with the error message it crashes to this

Pc specs:
i7 9700kf (non oc)
Msi Suprim 3080Ti
32gb ram
ue5 is on an ssd

Same here, I’ve been trying everything.
I also tested using CitySample and it seems to work in that project, at least for the 1st time.

Also, it runs successfully in a freshly made , blank, Open World map.
But running HLOD a 2nd time ends up with errors.

I’m baffled.

Hi Everyone,

Can you shine some light on how you setup the HLODs for this particular project ?

I haven’t even done anything, all i’ve done is loaded up any default project and hit build

[The test scenes most likely contain outdated HLOD setups]

So on latest - todays build - I loaded up the vehicle demo that contains lods and got the crash consistently.

To reproduce this issue.

1. create a new project
  2. add the vehicle demo
  3. go to [build] build all levels
  4. Choose to build or delete the lods (pop up window)
  5. Consistent Crash.

Possibly an outdated method to generate the lod’s that remains in the test scenes.
Especially since the system works on some maps. e.g Matrix Demo (Which built for me, don’t ask me how long it took :stuck_out_tongue: )

I would like to learn more about how the hlod’s should be setup post beta, if you have any clue or links, please reply !

i have similar problems, after the build is done it crashes. But it refers to a path that is not on my computer, the disk is "D: " but not the directory. I’m starting to suspect something in my Visual Studio 2019 installation. Had no problems with the build in UE5 preview 1 or preview 2

LoginId:b1696c814b0608de934d8e86275d1f60
EpicAccountId:55ff7597b24c4dc2a3a374350166ee2a

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x000000080000002b

UnrealEditor_CoreUObject!UObjectBaseUtility::GetPackage() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\UObjectBaseUtility.cpp:189]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!FBuildAllHandler::ProcessBuild() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorBuildUtils.cpp:1204]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!FEditorBuildUtils::EditorBuild() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorBuildUtils.cpp:499]
UnrealEditor_LevelEditor!FLevelEditorActionCallbacks::Build_Execute() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\LevelEditor\Private\LevelEditorActions.cpp:676]
UnrealEditor_LevelEditor!TBaseStaticDelegateInstance<void __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:731]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FUICommandList::ExecuteAction() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Commands\UICommandList.cpp:99]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SMenuEntryBlock::OnClicked() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\MultiBox\SMenuEntryBlock.cpp:1148]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SMenuEntryBlock::OnMenuItemButtonClicked() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\MultiBox\SMenuEntryBlock.cpp:1108]
UnrealEditor_Slate!TBaseSPMethodDelegateInstance<0,SMenuEntryBlock,1,FReply __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::Execute() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:290]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SButton::ExecuteOnClick() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Widgets\Input\SButton.cpp:464]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SButton::OnMouseButtonUp() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Widgets\Input\SButton.cpp:389]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SMenuEntryButton::OnMouseButtonUp() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\MultiBox\SMenuEntryBlock.cpp:434]
UnrealEditor_Slate!<lambda_51e270ca99ea7ce852539efd04dd453f>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:4961]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FEventRouter::Route<FReply,FEventRouter::FToLeafmostPolicy,FPointerEvent,<lambda_51e270ca99ea7ce852539efd04dd453f> >() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:405]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::RoutePointerUpEvent() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:4947]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseButtonUpEvent() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:5495]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseUp() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:5460]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:2210]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:2699]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:1078]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:916]
user32
user32
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsPlatformApplicationMisc::PumpMessages() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsPlatformApplicationMisc.cpp:138]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:5139]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:183]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:147]
UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:283]
UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:330]
UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\a01_work\6\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

im getting the same problem looked everywhere. UE5 end i reackon they need to fix it. it has to be the engine.

my problem disappeared when I removed CONFIG folder.

DirectX 12 related. In CONFIG folder, DefaultEngine.ini
[/Script/WindowsTargetPlatform.WindowsTargetSettings]
DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX12
change it to
DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX11

I tried that just now,

now i have a new error

文件夹是在哪?

There is no DefaultEngine.ini in the config folder. Not only that, the config you said to change to DX11 doesn’t exist in any of the ini files. How do I know? I just spent 2 hours searching based on you vauge and incorrect comment. Thanks for that :slight_smile:

So I was having this issue in windows 11. Did a fresh install and switched to windows 10 because I really wanted to use UE5. Installed windows 10, all of the dependencies, drivers and spent the entire day reinstalling everything.

Same error, same crash, same exact problem. Verifying files doesn’t work, new OS doesn’t work. Making sure all dependencies and drivers are set doesn’t work. Exact same error on fresh install.

Is this a beta or a release? How many hundreds of thousands of users can’t use unreal 5 right now? How is this an issue going all the way back to 5.0.1’s release?

This engine release feels very beta to me. We are getting HLOD crashes as well like this… They are Nanite related for us and the Nanite tool does not properly verify what a “good” nanite conversion is. Turning off Nanite project wide fixes it if the map in question isnt a world partition we believe it bakes the Nanite settings into that map/per asset file somehow. Turning off Nanite for HLOD required maps for world comp maps are the way solution we have. Then turning Nanite on a per asset basis till we figure out which Nanite hates so much when HLODS are built

Also please ensure you enable editor debugging symbols it makes determining what is causing these issues easier by checking the “arrow” next to the editors launch button on the launcher for the engine version and scrolling down to install debugging symbols it will give you an idea of what’s causing the engine to crash 9/10 times.

LoginId:55eacb06450f1a19f9dc9fb45d4bb9b1
EpicAccountId:8d06058493924631b6e91d26a83ffcc7

Assertion failed: Remap.IsValidIndex(PolygonGroupID.GetValue()) [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Developer\MeshMergeUtilities\Private\MeshMergeUtilities.cpp] [Line: 1815] Missing material bake output index entry for mesh(section)

UnrealEditor_MeshMergeUtilities!<lambda_b80c30abbda62b1ae023d7092518f733>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Developer\MeshMergeUtilities\Private\MeshMergeUtilities.cpp:1815]
UnrealEditor_ProxyLODMeshReduction!<lambda_88aacc30cca7fd4ee4d8608cf896d85f>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Experimental\ProxyLODPlugin\Source\ProxyLOD\Private\ProxyLODPlugin.cpp:992]
UnrealEditor_ProxyLODMeshReduction!tbb::internal::task_group_base::internal_run_and_wait<<lambda_3bdc5a39f594e448c3672e3016e02c08> const >() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\Intel\TBB\IntelTBB-2019u8\include\tbb\task_group.h:104]
UnrealEditor_ProxyLODMeshReduction!FVoxelizeMeshMerging::ProxyLOD() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Experimental\ProxyLODPlugin\Source\ProxyLOD\Private\ProxyLODPlugin.cpp:985]
UnrealEditor_ProxyLODMeshReduction!FVoxelizeMeshMerging::ProxyLOD() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Experimental\ProxyLODPlugin\Source\ProxyLOD\Private\ProxyLODPlugin.cpp:684]
UnrealEditor_MeshMergeUtilities!FMeshMergeUtilities::CreateProxyMesh() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Developer\MeshMergeUtilities\Private\MeshMergeUtilities.cpp:1933]
UnrealEditor_HierarchicalLODUtilities!FHierarchicalLODUtilities::BuildStaticMeshForLODActor() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Developer\HierarchicalLODUtilities\Private\HierarchicalLODUtilities.cpp:507]
UnrealEditor_HierarchicalLODUtilities!FHierarchicalLODUtilities::BuildStaticMeshForLODActor() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Developer\HierarchicalLODUtilities\Private\HierarchicalLODUtilities.cpp:244]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!FHierarchicalLODBuilder::BuildMeshesForLODActors() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\HierarchicalLOD.cpp:853]
UnrealEditor_HierarchicalLODOutliner!<lambda_4f38b7d8a3383edafa14dc7b4467de79>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\HierarchicalLODOutliner\Private\HLODOutliner.cpp:748]
UnrealEditor_HierarchicalLODOutliner!HLODOutliner::SHLODOutliner::HandleBuildLODActors() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\HierarchicalLODOutliner\Private\HLODOutliner.cpp:769]
UnrealEditor_HierarchicalLODOutliner!HLODOutliner::SHLODOutliner::GenerateProxyMeshesFromUI() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\HierarchicalLODOutliner\Private\HLODOutliner.cpp:832]
UnrealEditor_HierarchicalLODOutliner!<lambda_684c383f585e3f204146b6c55efcadca>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\HierarchicalLODOutliner\Private\HLODOutliner.cpp:347]
UnrealEditor_HierarchicalLODOutliner!TBaseFunctorDelegateInstance<void __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy,<lambda_684c383f585e3f204146b6c55efcadca> >::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:838]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SToolBarButtonBlock::OnClicked() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\MultiBox\SToolBarButtonBlock.cpp:391]
UnrealEditor_Slate!TBaseSPMethodDelegateInstance<0,SToolBarButtonBlock,1,FReply __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::Execute() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:290]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SButton::ExecuteOnClick() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Widgets\Input\SButton.cpp:464]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SButton::OnMouseButtonUp() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Widgets\Input\SButton.cpp:389]
UnrealEditor_Slate!<lambda_51e270ca99ea7ce852539efd04dd453f>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:4961]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FEventRouter::Route<FReply,FEventRouter::FToLeafmostPolicy,FPointerEvent,<lambda_51e270ca99ea7ce852539efd04dd453f> >() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:405]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::RoutePointerUpEvent() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:4947]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseButtonUpEvent() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:5495]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseUp() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:5460]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:2210]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:2699]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:1078]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:916]
user32
user32
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsPlatformApplicationMisc::PumpMessages() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsPlatformApplicationMisc.cpp:138]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:5139]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:183]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:147]
UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:283]
UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:330]
UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\a01_work\6\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

1 Like

It’s not just a 5.0.1 issue, it’s been there since the full release of 5.0.0, it’s even so bad that anything built with C++ will crash projects.

Like you I tried a fresh install of Windows, cause I had 4.16 4.24 4.26 5.0.0EA 5.0.0 so I thought it best to do a fresh install, and couldn’t fix the HLODs / C++ crashes, and ended up losing EA so can’t even use that anymore.

I was really hoping 5.0.1 would fix such extreme issues, can’t even Build a fresh project, or package a fresh C++ project.

they rushed it for the hype still a beta has to be… nothing but headacks with this crap. its sad such eas useing ue4 compaired to ue5. wasting days google trying to fix problems. even been in contact with inde ue5 dev and they said post in the forums we can not help to busy. but you can not get a right or a answer about anything here LOL

@Akukiyo what ive done is started a fresh project in basic then hopefully when they fix this crap you can convert it over. you can still build all in basic, i have been for 2 days now. it builds everything fine for me just can not conver to WP yet because i crash for build all levels.

Is this bug being ignored?

How do you fix this or disable whatever this is? it’s really annoying to error every single build…

UE5 has had this bug for many thousands of people for over 8 months. Not sure they are going to fix it any time soon. Whether it’s a Nvidia driver problem or something with UE5. It would be nice nice if Epic worked on fixing this issue or reached out to Nvidia.

Many of us literally can not build games with the current build. It’s very frustrating that it’s been almost a year and no fix :frowning: