Building Hlods crashes editor

HLODs are kind of important for us as developers… its like a tool that needs to be used for 90% of games… why is it still so broken? I had gotten simplify to work once… and then it just didnt… same level… no changes at all to it…

I even tried deleting everything ontehr then 2 meshes in the level and generated HLOD and it still crashes… theres no rhyme or reason to this.

I’m having a similar error, but now specifically when I’ve built and the map is getting re-opened it crashes. Only for that map, so I’m guessing something that is corrupt? If so, do you guys have a recommendation on how to proceed?

My thred on this: HLOD bug: Crash on build "Fatal Error!"

Unreal 5.0.3 finally fixed my problems, but if you want i can keep the thread up at this stage incase you guys need it

i got 5.0.3 and build got stuck on building HLODs for 4 hours i finally stoped it :confused: any idea why?

Let it run overnight and see if it still gets stuck.

4 hours could be insufficient tbh.

if anyone is curious… the approximation mode for hlods seems to work… normal default hlods do not and crashes.

Could you elaborate on that? I’m not sure what approximation mode for hlods is?

its just another mode. Under World Settings tab… HLOD System-> Hierarchical LOD Setup → HLOD0 → Mesh Generation settings → Simplification Method → Approximate.

The options are Merge, Simplify or Approximate.

1 Like