UE4 Freezes when ran with -DX12 arg on laptop running 2080 MaxQ without secondary screen

It’s listed as fixed in 4.22.2, I’ve not had a chance to test it yet.

Is our nightmare over?

damnit, got a freeze (I’m on desktop) only this time it still runs the cpu but says not responding anyway…
… maybe I should try with a new project or something?

nope, not fixed for me

I’m happy to say that the freeze has been fixed with 4.22.2
I can’t reproduce it, I’ve tried a few times and the engine behaves perfectly now.

@PfazFWC Let me know if everything works on your side and I’ll be happy to mark this as ‘answered’

In your Nvidia Control Panel>Manage 3D Settings> have you set Global Settings and/or Program Settings (pick ue4 in the dropdown) to High-performance Nvidia Processor ?

it also works for me without any problems now with the new update

I’ve just set it now… and nope, still freezing, ■■■■, now if it can’t be reproduced it I’m screwed right? one of the reasons I got the rtx is exactly for ue :confused:
latest (gaming) mobo and latest gpus and it’s screwed because of it …

ok I’ve disabled threaded optimisation, texture filtering to high performance and works for a few minutes more, got a freeze upon pressing on houdini engine
…ok might be working… further testing

… almost working and after 20 mins freezes on disabling all lights, OK, at least I can do something more… still might be buggy

Not fixed for me, it stays stable longer but still freezes after several minutes.

Please do not mark this as answered until tests prove this is categorically correct.

Yup, still freezes, stays on a bit longer, but not really solved

4.22.3 seems to be working, not seen a crash on it and I was running it for over an hour

Same thing happend again on UE4.23.1 and UE4.24 preview4. But this time Editor crash immediately instead of freeze. I must use secondary screen to keep it not crash.

yeah same here, did you submit a bug ticket?

created another bug report

And I’ve submitted a detailed bug report bug on Unreal Engine Community
I’m waiting for their feedback. our case is Case # 00144149.
Hopefully they’ll acknowledge it as a bug and a ticket will be created.

FYI here’s what I’ve written in the Bug report:

Title
Unreal Engine 4.23.1 and 4.24.0 p4 crashes on Laptops equipped with Nvidia RTX MaxQ cards when not hooked up on a secondary screen

Steps

1. Open a raytracing enabled project with UE4.23.1 or UE4.24.0p4
  2. USe the engine U.I for a bit. For exemple In a lit perspective viewport click on a U.I. button such as ‘Lit’, hover down the item list, or change parameters in a detail panel.

Results
The engine crashes, when the Laptop it is NOT hooked up to a secondary screen.
The engine performs normally when hooked up to a scondary screen.

Expected
The engine should performs normally when it is NOT hooked up to a scondary screen.

Description
The engine crashes on Raytracing enabled projects, when a Laptop equipped with a Nvidia RTX MaxQ design card is NOT hooked up to a secondary screen.
The card uses the Nvidia Studio Driver 441.28

I have the same problem even though I dont have a Maxq card, I have a normal 2070,i think its a problem with having an extra intel gpu, it somehow kicks in, when you disable the intel card as the engine loads, it works normally, but disabling it before clicking on launch on engine makes the engine to run with around 1 fps for some reason.

Yes, I agree, it must be related to the integrated Intel card.
I’ve only given my Nvdia details to be as precise as possible.

They’ve sorted this issue out in 4.21.2.
Hopefully they’ll iron it out again, soon.

I have submitted a bug ticket. hopefully they can solve it soon

Here’s Epic’s answer regarding this bug, now known as UE-72117 :

Hello,
Thanks for reporting this. I have added the details you provided to the ongoing bug. You can track its progress here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-72117)

Please add your vote, to help this issue being solved faster.

Cheers

Merry Xmas, it seems to be fixed with 4.24.1 and Nvidia’s December Studio Drivers.