UE4 Freezes when ran with -DX12 arg on laptop running 2080 MaxQ without secondary screen

yeah, unfortunately the same, its real sad, now with the new geforce update I can run raytrace on my girlfriends laptop with a 1060, but it doesnt run on my laptop with an rtx 2070 which costed me a fortune, and the only reason I bought that laptop was being able to run ue4 with ray tracing features. I really want to cry.

And also as I said before it runs perfect if I enable debuging symbols, whic is a clear sign that it is software related, the only problem with debuging symbols is that it makes larger projects crash, do you guys think that maybe we should submit a report to nvidia?

And also theres is still no issue we can track, because I think the bug cant be reproduced by epic team, I think it can really be easily solved if it could be reproduced, since enabling debugging symbols solves it, it cant be that hard. I think for some reason whatever you click makes the Intel card kick in, it works as lond as I dont click anything else than viewport,.

I am using Asus strix scar with 2060
I am also facing the freeze issue
Already posted a bug report

Ok, I finally found a workaround, which is not the best but at least it lets you to work on any project if you dont have a monitor around.

Normally if you disable intel card from device manager before opening ue4, the engine doesnt work, but if you open the project with the intel card enabled and as soon as engine starts you should minimize the engine without clicking anything, its important that you minimize it, otherwise the video card crashes, then after minimizing go to the device manager and disable the intel card, then the editor should work.

Thats also a total mystery to me. I also think its a conflict between intel and nvidia cards, but its weird that in only happens in ue4. even when you package an ue4 project, it seems to work fine, and when enabling debugging symbols, intel card probably cant kick in. I tried to submit a bug report but unfortunately epic couldnt reproduce it. I actually dont think its difficult to fix if they could reproduce it, since just enabling d3ddebug fixes the problem.

This seems to work for me as well, though I haven’t had a chance to test for more then a few minutes. I guess it must be some kind of clash between the cards? It doesn’t really explain why this doesn’t work when I turn the Intel card off before even starting the editor :S

exactly same issue on desktop with 2x2080ti asus strix oc, 1080ti, 980ti, i9 9900k, 64gb g skill qvl ram, samsung 970pro… new hardware, msi meg godlike, new windows, 4 monitors, 3 on 980ti, 1 on 2080ti - and still UE forced 1080ti to use as primary until I edited that .ini to force it to use 2080ti - and then it begins freezing constantly…

EDIT: no luck with latest hotfix as well, exact same issues as on laptops

There’s been a ue4.22.1 hotfix release, anyone tried it yet? Theres a couple of d3d12 bugfixes.
https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1612034-4-22-1-hotfix-released

I tried, still doesnt work for me.

I also have this problem on my new laptop with rtx 2080…

I just got a new SCAN 3XS RTX 2070 laptop and exact same issue on 4.22.1. Works OK on 2nd monitor. UE4 doesn’t support SLI yet, so perhaps this issue is related in some way ?

I’ve heard people mention that it works on a second monitor. I realise now that I’ve only tried this with screen mirroring (both the laptops built in screen and the second monitor displaying the same image) and then it is still prone to freezing.

When you use a second screen and it works OK, are you using that screen exclusively? Also what port are you using? A lot of the RTX laptops seem to have the same configuration. Mini Display port, HDMI and USB-C, but I’m pretty sure the USB-C is connected to the Intel chip

I just drag the UE window on the 2nd screen before it freezes. and yes, in my case USB-C = Intel chip.

… I’m thinking maybe list what hardware you’re using, it might be drivers or something specific, I just had severe houdini crashes, and it was due to a Nahimic sound driver that I got with the MSI board dvd

• I’m on a msi z390 meg godlike board, i9 9900k, two asus strix 2080ti, asus 980ti, and msi 1080ti … 3 dell monitors

• running logitech mx master 2s / logitech options app, corsair liquid cooling - corsair link software, Asus gpu tweakII app, “killer control center” networking app (yeah who comes up with the names)…

…latest nvidia, and hotfix - still freezes…

… might be some driver or software we all use so maybe post as much info you can think of, so maybe we can come up with something

Same houdini crash due to Nahimic sound, i9 8950hk, 2070 maxq, lastest nvidia game ready driver, UE4.22.1, other software same with yours is killer
control center app. Still freeze when click some menu or params after opening UE4editor

woaw, cool so they managed to reproduce it huh?

Looks like this is finally being treated as an issue! Projected fixed version is 4.22.2 but give it a vote anyway just to be sure :wink:

killer control center, did you try killing that?

I kill everything with killer* in task manager, UE4 still freezes

Anyway freezing will be fixed in 4.22.2, so just wait

Brilliant. Excellent news.