[UE 5.3] Unable to understand bad results when baking lights to landscape

So I’m trying to create a landscape and in order to improve performance I wanted to use static lighting and just bake them. The thing is, I get these absolutely bad results. Anyone know what can cause this behavior? (See picture below)

I’m using no global illumination (“None”) and I have a static directional light. I’m trying to bake it to the landscape.

I’ve searched everywhere and can’t find anything that helps.

1 Like

I think it’s probably your light-map resolution.

If it’s a mesh, you can set this in the static mesh editor.

If it’s an actual landscape, you can set it in the details

Notice, that depending on what you set this to, and the size of your landscape, you could end up with the level file being MASSIVE.

The downside of static lighting ( along with build times ) :slight_smile:

Nice! That helped with the shadows, they are now a lot better. Thank you so much! The only thing that remains are the light seams between the landscape’s sections. Should it be fixed by tweaking the same setting?

Also I was wondering, what is an appropriate value for that setting? I tried 32 but maybe that’s too low.

1 Like

I recall somewhere around 12 was a sweet spot. You might find 32 it too high, take a look at the size of the level file. If it’s for phones, you’ll also be limited by memory.

I’m afraid I have no idea about landscape section boundaries… :frowning:

PS: I just saw this post

Maybe it’s not supported yet?

Yeah, most likely it’s not supported. Even if it is, too much hassle to get it perfect, I’m just gonna approach it with dynamic lights

1 Like

Hey there @Facer144! Clockwork is correct, there is work being done to get static lighting working for WP in the future as it’s on the roadmap. There was a delay on it for some time however.

2 Likes

Thank you for confirming it!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.