Shadows Culling

Hi! Have seen this issue come up since switching from unreal 5.1 to 5.2 (it is also in 5.3 which I am currently using)

Shadows get culled depending on the object’s screensize. I change the min size for it to not cull but it still happens! No commands or PostProcess settings seem to be fixing this.

Help!!!

Hello, Phillipe:

Take a look at this:

And specifically this:

unfortunately this doesn’t fix it. I don’t really understand what has control over this. Even in renders with game overrides the shadows disappear. This is so dumb just STOP CULLING THE SHADOWS

Are you positive you correctly did the previous procedure?

I found another thread with the exact same solution and positive results:

Worse comes to worst, you can “fake” the shadows. But keep in mind that shadows are VERY expensive because they are constantly moving and reacting to the environment.

It is for a 3D visit app so the lighting needs to be dynamic, I cannot bake the shadows either because the sun can be changed with a time of day variable.

Here is r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold 0.03

And now r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold 0.01

Exactly the same

Even in rendering, the Game Overrides isn’t overriding anything. I still lose shadows at a certain distance.

Do the shadows START to disappear at the same distance?

And you can play around with the values. It doesn’t have to be …03 or .01.

Yes, changing the values does not affect when the culling starts. I move my camera to the point where it has began to cull the shadows, so if the setting increases the culling distance then the shadows should come back in to view, but they don’t.

Even if I put 0.0000001, it doesn’t change anything. For that matter even 0 (which should give infinite distance for shadows) does nothing.

I’m at a bit of a loss here. I do architectural rendering and developed an Immersive App for project visits. My images now look weird when the cars and characters 50m away don’t have any shadows…

Holy S**T, I have absolutely no idea why this works but changing the Bounds Scale to something like 1.5 has a DRASTIC impact on the distance at which shadows seem to cull. However, I have no way to select all the meshes in my scene and set increase their scale. Is their a command that could change this??

1 Like

Here is what I did:

The bounds Scale parameter on static meshes seem to directly affect the distance at which an actor’s shadow is culled.

To optimize the time it would take to do this manually for all actors, I created a blueprint that changes the bounds scale of all static mesh actors in the scene when I run the command. It is VERY simple and effective.

THE RESULT:
before vs after

P.S. Other commands like r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold and r.Shadow.FadeResolution had absolutely no effect for me in unreal 5.3, so this was the only option that actually had an impact.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.