Problem with foliage shimmering

Hey everyone, I’ve been having a problem with painting foliage trees. My map is fairly large, with thousands of low poly trees, and most display properly, but maybe around 10% of them are sort of “shimmering” (see gif below).

If I delete one of the trees that is shimmering, then suddenly one of the other nearby normal looking trees becomes a problem and begins to shimmer.

Several months ago I had this problem and I thought it might be a problem where two identical trees were being placed right on top of one another. Back then it seemed like if I just deleted the offending tree and placed a single tree roughly in the same spot, the problem was solved. But now that process doesn’t fix the problem.

Any idea what might be causing this, or how I might be able to fix it?

Thanks very much for any insight you can provide!

351396-tree-problem-b.gif

Hi, if you think you’ve got two trees overlapping, you could check by doing a sphere trace at that location and see whether it hits two trees that are at about the same location (the hit component should be an ISMC and the HitItem the index of the instance that was hit).

Another thing you could try is to change the material on the tree, to make sure it doesn’t come from that.

Thanks for the suggestions! Changing the material did resolve the problem, and it turned out that the way I was using Object Position to vary the color of the trees was the issue. With some adjustments I was able to get it working, and keep the color variation intact.