Poor Quality Shadows

Hello 2147,

As Jacky mentioned, this is not a bug but just an improper set up of your scene. The good part is that there is a lot of great documentation on how to resolve your issue, as well as a lot of things to try clean up your shadows. To get you started in the right direction take a look at this documentation on Lightmaps. It addresses the issue you are having as well as gives you an overall explanation how lightmaps function.

Although this does reference UDK, the basic principles remain the same

I don’t think you understand my problem, as iv’e said “NOTE : i am using real-time shadows with a skylight if that makes any difference and the objects have cast inset shadow enabled” its real-time shadows not baked.

The image posted of your directional light has the shadow bias set to 0.08. Was this the case when you posted the picture of your mesh?

Yes it was.

Ok, would you mind increasing this value and letting me know your results?

set the bias to like 0.8 and increase the shadow filter sharpening.

Increasing the bias?

Well i set the bias to zero and its still looks the same, but the actual shadow resolution is low and always stays low no matter what i do?

That didn’t change much, but my problem is low resolution shadows on that particular model. But on other models it has high resolution shadows.

but i used the same scale size and the same import/export settings.

There isn’t much we can do anymore unless you share a sample project or the model itself.

Ok, so something weird just happened. As i took a small chunk out of the model to send to you and imported it to UE4 to test it, the shadow resolution was fine? I’m going to mess around with it some more but as of yet it appears that simple geometry like a wall/window is fine but anything indoors is not? Well that’s what happens on my build anyway.

False alarm, Unless i import my model 30 polys at a time i’m not going to change these shadows. So after all it is a bug with unreal’s import model interpretation method. I could fix this if we had the ability to edit Cast Inset Shadow’s LOD and LOD distance factor, but we cant unless we go into the source code. >:(

PS , if unreal staff see this, please let us have the ability to turn OFF lod on cast inset shadows for character models etc

Again, no, this is not a bug. This is a problem with that mesh. I can import and have perfect dynamic shadows(inset or not) with more complex, hundreds of thousands of polygon models, and other people dont have issues either unless it has something to do with the way their mesh is created. And again, Unreal staff can’t help you on this if you dont share something that replicates this issue.

Well is was suggesting to unreal staff to give people more control over shadows in cast inset shadows, but this is a problem that is happening with more than just that mesh and no matter how much i chop and change the mesh the problem still stays, and its not the way its made because iv’e made other models the same way and size that don’t have this issue, so i can only assume its a bug when it happens to certain models for no obvious reason. Even when i delete 1 poly at a time and reimport the mesh to find what poly is causing the problem it does nothing it still has low quality shadows

Hello 2147,

I have set up a scene that uses fully dynamic shadows with Ray Traced Shadows enabled to help you better understand how to adjust your shadows and possibly why you are seeing artifacts.

Steps to follow:

1. In your project settings within the “Engine” section, click on “Rendering.”
  2. Check the box that says “Generate Mesh Distance Fields”
  3. After enabling this option, Save and Restart the Editor for the changes to be made.
  4. Now within your “Directional Light” under the “Distance Field Shadows” check the box that says “Use RayTraced DistanceField Shadows.”
  5. The two settings within that same section will increase your shadows quality by either softening them, or the reverse.
  6. Increasing the “Light Source Angle” will increase your shadow soften.
  7. Another section that gives you more control over your shadows with “Ray Traced Shadows” enabled is “Cascaded Shadow Maps.”
  8. There is one setting that could help resolve your issue within here, it is called “Cascade Distribution Exponent.”
    What this does: "Controls whether the cascades are distributed closer to the camera (larger exponent) or further from the camera (smaller exponent). An exponent of 1 means that cascade transitions will happen at a distance proportional to their resolution"

There is one checkbox within the same section that also pertains to the inset shadows you mentioned.

Use the images posted as reference to set-up your scene. All of these settings are specific to your own level and scene so try changing the values and observing the differences in shadows and and their softening/sharpness.

Enabling the “Distance Field Shadows”

Directional Light Moveable Settings

19885-dl_cascade+shadows+settings.png

Here is some great documentation on improving your shadows using dynamic lights with raytraced shadows enabled as well as ambient occlusion. Keep in mind this is a fairly new technique for lighting and shadowing and is not perfected, so you will have to tweak things to get them the way you would like to look.

Ray Traced Shadows:

Distance Ambient Occlusion:

Regards,